Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Episode 19: Last call

Glad everyone is digging the latest episode!

Definitely! Thank you, thank you! Looking forward to the final ep!

Finally got around to watching this. Gotta say I never did get the old argument that DF only shipped half the game and where evil for splitting it. It's almost like they didn't realize that you could have just cut the game in half, never told us and said it was the complete job. Maybe, in retrospect, that would have been the smarter thing to do; but thanks for always trying to stay classy and produce your best work under difficult circumstances.

Looking forward to playing the finished game, hope you guys got some well deserved rest after all that crunching.

Congrats Reds, you did it!

I held off on playing the game till you were done with it. Now I can play it as one game, the way it was meant to be experienced.

Fantastic documentary too for these past three years. Got everything out of my $30, and way more.

Thanks for the journey guys. All Reds, past and present.

I'm a backer who hasn't found the time to chip in on these backer forums over the past few years. Strange to think it's been years, watching those flashbacks in this episode!

I just wanted to add to the chorus of praise for this whole documentary. It's been enlightening, gripping, inspiring, and admirably unflinching. It's been emotional, too – especially in this instalment, with the prologue about the lay–offs, and then those panning shots of the team proudly finishing off their work on Act 2 at the end. The whole production has been above and beyond what I could have expected when I backed it, both in its scope and in its sheer quality. And the Lightformed soundtrack is terrific, too.

Very much looking forward to playing Act 2 (I'm going to start from the beginning again for the ultimate Broken Age experience) and then the documentary finale.

Well done 2PP and Reds!

As mentioned in the episode, it would indeed be possible to make an incremental patch in stead of distributing the full new version, but they don't have their tool chain set up for that. It would have been a lot of work to set that up for which they didn't have the time. The other option would have been to distribute the full new version from a locked website, requiring a login. But setting that up would also have taken a lot of time.

Now, Oliver probably knows a lot better than me, so take this with a grain of salt. I have no idea why they can't just bundle an rdelta (or xdelta) payload with the standard software used for those. (Create one of the original and updated install directories.) The programs are GPL, so very easy to get a hold of. I've used that myself with fairly nooby customers.

Define "fairly nooby." Was that thousands of people whom you can't support personally and who have a "I paid for this, I want to click on something and have it work" attitude? Because I'm pretty sure that's what you're dealing with here.

Not thousands. As I said, Oliver probably knows better. Nooby as in highly educated people in non-computer fields (as highly educated people usually are the least skilled/knowledgeable in things outside their speciality). Saying what sort of people risks giving away [software company I work for], which they are not okay with as they worry someone would take it as official opinion. I haven't heard of any reported problems from the customers, but if it was a small number I doubt they'd pass it on to my department (as tech support is separate from development, and hates us, but hey, it's mutual.)

Edit - Although the double click and it works, is how it goes. It would only fail if they made a change to a patched file separate from the patcher (such as a crack, or unofficial mod).

I know the DFA / doc period is over, but maybe if we're lucky Oliver will make us a post about it. =]

Hi guys. Thanks for the pointers towards binary diff libraries. That is certainly something we should look at.

To make things more interesting a potential solution has to work across all three PC platforms. Especially OSX makes this possible because of the App Bundle code-signature. I'm not saying it's not possible, but we'll have to take all of these things into consideration.

As far as the episode goes the main problem during that meeting was the extreme time pressure of the (original) plan. We were working day and night to fix bugs, so it would have been incredibly difficult to find time to investigate binary diff tools. I'm definitely glad that we had more time to fix more bugs before the discs were made.

Thanks for chiming in, Oliver :D

I hope that a nice binary diffing system ends up being easy to implement. It'd be a nice tool for DF to have lying around for the future as well.

As mentioned in the episode, it would indeed be possible to make an incremental patch in stead of distributing the full new version, but they don't have their tool chain set up for that. It would have been a lot of work to set that up for which they didn't have the time. The other option would have been to distribute the full new version from a locked website, requiring a login. But setting that up would also have taken a lot of time.

Now, Oliver probably knows a lot better than me, so take this with a grain of salt. I have no idea why they can't just bundle an rdelta (or xdelta) payload with the standard software used for those. (Create one of the original and updated install directories.) The programs are GPL, so very easy to get a hold of. I've used that myself with fairly nooby customers.

Define "fairly nooby." Was that thousands of people whom you can't support personally and who have a "I paid for this, I want to click on something and have it work" attitude? Because I'm pretty sure that's what you're dealing with here.

Not thousands. As I said, Oliver probably knows better. Nooby as in highly educated people in non-computer fields (as highly educated people usually are the least skilled/knowledgeable in things outside their speciality). Saying what sort of people risks giving away [software company I work for], which they are not okay with as they worry someone would take it as official opinion. I haven't heard of any reported problems from the customers, but if it was a small number I doubt they'd pass it on to my department (as tech support is separate from development, and hates us, but hey, it's mutual.)

Edit - Although the double click and it works, is how it goes. It would only fail if they made a change to a patched file separate from the patcher (such as a crack, or unofficial mod).

I know the DFA / doc period is over, but maybe if we're lucky Oliver will make us a post about it. =]

Hi guys. Thanks for the pointers towards binary diff libraries. That is certainly something we should look at.

To make things more interesting a potential solution has to work across all three PC platforms. Especially OSX makes this possible because of the App Bundle code-signature. I'm not saying it's not possible, but we'll have to take all of these things into consideration.

As far as the episode goes the main problem during that meeting was the extreme time pressure of the (original) plan. We were working day and night to fix bugs, so it would have been incredibly difficult to find time to investigate binary diff tools. I'm definitely glad that we had more time to fix more bugs before the discs were made.

Thanks, Oliver!

This has really been a very beautiful, stressing, incredible, inspiring journey! I feel I really connected with this company and its people - more than any other out there that's for sure, and I would really like to take the opportunity to thank you for this.

I was really really sad to see some people leaving during this journey, and this says a lot about the connections created.

Keep walking you guys and gals, and I hope we keep seeing you more - I am gonna miss these documentaries :)

I have to admit that Anna Kipnis is kinda hot

<_<

>_>

>_<

*runs*

58 degrees in San Francisco today, so yeah probably. But only kinda.

Just bought another copy for my new Vita. It can't download fast enough. I need to know what happens.

DoubleFine can't release enough games on Vita for me. I'll buy everything.

Also I'm going to cry if DOTT SE doesn't have Maniac Mansion on Weird Ed's computer.

Hey guys, long time lurker, seldom (if any) time poster here. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this series, 2player did a great job. Really looking forward to starting Act 2 soon. To everyone at DoubleFine, thank you for your hard work, I think you guys can keep your heads up in knowing that you did not sacrifice quality just to satisfy naysayer lust. Kudos and party on peeps, now back to the shadows .... lurk lurk lurk.

phew that was a tough one to watch. Ups and downs in this episod.

I'm very happy to have been a part of this and truly cannot understand people who want(ed) this to fail.

The game has become a beautiful piece of art and I am very impressed with the work everyone has put into this.

On to the next awesome game! :D

@dartbord: +1!

Could we maybe have one episode still with more creative/writing/animating/drawing parts in it! I loved the documentation for the creative crafting part.

So i would love to see some or ... more like a lot of documentation about how act 2 has been made, drawn, animated, got the voices and stuff! (if you guys have the video matirial ^^)

That would be an totally awesome documentation-finale also! :)

When i backed the game I didnt know how great this documentary would be. I would seriously pay 20 dollars a month to subscribe to this documentary forever.

When i backed the game I didnt know how great this documentary would be. I would seriously pay 20 dollars a month to subscribe to this documentary forever.
2PP starts a Patreon in 3.... 2.... :P

I also want to chime in about how great the documentary has been. I am not a big gamer, but love my point and click adventures. That said, I'd back near anything just to keep watching episodes about the inner workings of Double Fine. I have learned so much, and enjoyed viewing the process of creation in your wonderful office. I agree with Revo and Vectorferret - make this an ongoing thing, and I will happily subscribe!

That said, I'd back near anything just to keep watching episodes about the inner workings of Double Fine. I have learned so much, and enjoyed viewing the process of creation in your wonderful office. I agree with Revo and Vectorferret - make this an ongoing thing, and I will happily subscribe!

100% agreed.

I'm going to miss this too much when it's over. :(

I know so much more about game development after all we've been through in these three years. This has really been an adventure that goes beyond the value of the game itself. You fought for a good cause, Double Fine.

Oliver (or anybody else who knows the answer):

Why are you using P4Win instead of P4V?

Just for the walking animation? ;)

Oliver (or anybody else who knows the answer):

Why are you using P4Win instead of P4V?

Just for the walking animation? ;)

That is a good question. Almost everyone in the studio is sing P4V. I'm just old and unwilling to change. I really like P4Win and never got used to V. :-)

Great game, good job. I hope you get some kind of rest after this. I hope that things goes well for the company. This has been an amazing ride. Take care!

/slackerbacker

You're all just extremely sympathetic people damn it! And I want everything to go well for you! I wish I could hug you all right now!

Congratulations guys. I've been following this from the beginning and just wanted to say thank you, sincerely for an amazing game and fantastic ride.

does anyone know when to expect the final episode?

I just came back to ask the same. Very very curious about the last episode. And I suspect it will promote something new and I wonder what that may be.

Tim on Twitter said:

Tim Schafer ‏@TimOfLegend Jul 1

@BIFCO that's a lot of caps!! :) Episode 20 is done except audio. Physical box needs to wait for that. All the info is in our updates!

Smiles

Cannot wait for Episode 20!!! Any estimated time on release date? Inquiring minds want to know...

Cannot wait for Episode 20!!! Any estimated time on release date? Inquiring minds want to know...

From Twitter...sounds like you got your answer!

Nicholas Caluda ‏@soundchaser1993 Jul 13

@2PProductions I don't know how specific you're willing to get, but can we expect the latest DFA episode before the week is out?

2 Player Productions ‏@2PProductions Jul 13

@soundchaser1993 yes

Smiles

Beat me to it by a minute, Smiles. Now I think I should have used a more specific timeframe. Ah well, live and learn. :)

Sign in to follow this