Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Project Update 04/23 - Release details!

Holy smokes you guys! We’re less than one week away from the release of the fully complete Broken Age, and the end of our shared Double Fine Adventure. It’s been a crazy emotional ride, and we’re so happy you guys were here with us along the way!

It’s all go at the studio at the moment as the team prepares for launching the game on a thousand different platforms all around the world and at the same exact time. Meanwhile Tim, Greg and Ray popped over to Europe to speak to some press folks out there, talk about animation, and also get haircuts in weird retro video game stores. We’ve also been celebrating the 10th anniversary of Psychonauts!

When can I play Broken Age act 2?

Most excitingly though we’ve been getting ready to share Broken Age Act II with all of you fabulous Backers! We’re working with Humble and Steam to get codes out at 12:01 am Eastern on Monday April 27th, 24 hours in advance of the public release.

That’s really, really soon you guys! Not so soon to stop you getting in a playthrough of Act 1 before then however, which is useful because we highly, highly recommend playing through the first act before starting the second, as here are numerous plot and puzzle elements that continue on from the first act.

However! Achievements for Act 1 will not unlock until midnight either, so you might want to hold off until then to play through if you care about such things.

Trailer preview

The Two Player Production chaps have weaved us up a cinematic trailer to share on launch day. We thought you might like to preview it before it goes live...

[vimeo]125747767[/vimeo]

Double Fine Adventure Episode 19

Our adventures aren’t over quite yet, and a new episode of the Double Fine Adventure is here to prove it. This one is pretty emotional, and runs from the end of last year until a few weeks ago, covering layoffs, hate campaigns, and crunching until you get sick. There’s still one more episode to go before the series comes to a close though!

[vimeo]125812413[/vimeo]

Episodes 1-18 are now publicly available on our youtube channel, so please share them with your friends and family!

http://bit.ly/DFAdventure

Backer Big Box

With the game now complete, we can start to manufacture the $100+ tier big box. Before we do though, we need you to tell us what it should look like. Here’s Tim to explain the options...

Please go and vote on the option you desire most over in this thread on these very forums:

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16815/

Note that only one style of box will be made for everyone, the winner of this poll.

PC Retail box

Anyone who didn’t back at the $100 or above tier, but still wants Broken Age in some kind of physical manifestation, you’re in luck! Our friends at Nordic Game have boxed up the game, with a snazzy cover design by Cory Schmitz and have shipped it out to retailers, just like we did back in the 90s. Here’s a preview of what it looks like. Note that Shay and Vella are on a transparent case that can be flipped around. You can pre-order it on amazon right now!

ssTH0Gb.jpg?1

Broken Age auf Deutsch

We are finally able to announce the vocal cast for the German version of the game!

These are the voices you’ll be hearing if you wish to play in German...

Vella - Charlotte Uhlig

Shay - Louis F. Thiele

Marek - Martin Sabel

Mom - Daniela Bette-Koch

Curtis - Jens Wendland

Harm’ny - Dirk Hardegen

Gus - Michael Krüger

Dialog Tree - Gilles Karolyi

OK Folks, that’s it for now, but you’ll hear from us again when backer keys are out!

Does anyone know what's the font on the back of the box?

Epic!

Thank you so much for letting backers play the game one day earlier!

I'm so hyped!

"Are you me... from the future?"

Awesome that backers get it early. But didn't we get Act I a week early so we could help hammer out bugs and stuff? I want to do that again. It was fun and I felt I was helping make it a better game. :(

Thanks for letting backers get act 2 a day early!

Now let's all remember to be good backers and not spoil the ending to everyone else before they get a chance to play. :P

Not that I'll want to play Broken Age in German but shouldn't Shay be voiced by Timmo Niesner, given that he is the actor who dubs Elijah Wood in movies?

Anna Kipnis <3 <3 <3 <3 Such a wonderful woman! Want to give her a hug every time! I hope she's fully recovered now.

Watching these videos, and especially this espisode, made me feel so stressed and empathetic to all of the team. Such hard working people, very inspiring.

Thanks for the great documentaries, 50% of the game value as far as I'm concerned. :D

And thanks for the Linux build. :)

+1 to Anna. I think I remember Oliver saying through Twitter that he's leaving. Both are badass troopers.

+1 to Anna. I think I remember Oliver saying through Twitter that he's leaving. Both are badass troopers.

Oliver is leaving?! But...he's the best! *cries*

Oh my god, the launch trailer...Tim snuck in this line about Alex being Shay from the future just as a red herring, right? Right??? Because of all the speculation that went in this direction? I'm sooo excited. Better watch the documentary episode now.

Thanks Spaff for the update and 2PP for the video goodness! ^^

Edit: Holy shit, that's a long episode! xD

Oh my god, the launch trailer...Tim snuck in this line about Alex being Shay from the future just as a red herring, right? Right??? Because of all the speculation that went in this direction?

That would be cool!

Backer release on Monday? That's awesome! April 27 is a holiday where I live, so I know what I'll be doing.

Oh dear. Broken Age and Kung Fury are going public on the same day. WHAT DO I DO!?!?!

Oliver is going home but staying with DF. Watching this episode, it's like the band is breaking up!

Auf Wiedersehen you crazy requirements meeting so-and-so!

Sayonara to all who contributed, and good luck with your publisher endeavors DFers left!

Just wanted to say, thank you for the gesture of making it available to backers a day early. Totally unexpected and not necessary, but what a great way to surprise and delight fans. For a lot us, we get that extra OMG A DAY EARLY RUSH!! Cause we are uber nerds - and something small like this is a great way to give that one last extra nod.

SO THANK YOU and it's been quite a ride watching the ups and downs in the documentary. In a totally non dramatic way, thank you for pouring your souls into the game. It's one thing missing in a lot of things in the world today - people who really care about what they do - and from Act I already it is evident the amount of love and care that goes into this. I am already super excited to play Act II and Monday, with our early release, has officially become a bit of a national holiday for me. Looking forward to finally getting to wrap up these last 3 years and play this great game!

Thanks again DF & 2PP

Thanks so much for the documentary! That's been worth the money easily. I consider the game to be an extra perk on top of that.

I'm wondering if there is an intent to edit that footage down into a feature for tv or streaming? Definitely some good content there. I'm sure that would take a while to edit down that much further, unless it's somewhat been the plan the whole time.

Thanks!

I can't believe it has been 3 years. I have followed along with your high's and low's and now the bitter-sweet ending is quite hard to watch.

A big thank you from this slacker backer to all involved, past and present, in bringing this epic to us all. Off to pre-order the boxed version, which is the absolute least I can do for all you have given me!

As I just tweeted, this episode was heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, fist-pumping, adorkable. I sunk a shot with Tim and rolled a few tears throughout.

I think if most of the online DF-haters were to watch this documentary series in its entirety, they would find it very difficult to maintain their anger.

Congrats BA team on releasing Act 2 - your artistry is wonderful and immortal.

What's really been enlightening... or not enlightening because I already had an inkling, but what has been underlined for me is how many things can go wrong because of stuff that's just completely out of your control.

You can plan perfectly and then that plan no longer makes sense because one of your lead voice actors can't make the window which pushes your animation schedule. Or one of your lead programmers is ill. Or someone leaves that would be able to do it faster.

To a certain extent you can build buffer in for this sort of thing, but the bigger a project is, the more these little variables creep in where if one gets tweaked it has such a knock on effect and it just becomes so hard to predict with accuracy.

If people learn one thing from this episode in particular, I hope it's that. Look at these people, doing everything that's possibly in their power to not only do it, but do it right in the face of all these obstacles.

Hey DF! I didn't know about the layoffs. That's rough... And I'm curious if there will be a post-mortem episode 20? Surely. Because y'all will win all kinds of awards. Because you are beasts!! Congrats on finishing. :)

Hey DF! I didn't know about the layoffs. That's rough... And I'm curious if there will be a post-mortem episode 20? Surely. Because y'all will win all kinds of awards. Because you are beasts!! Congrats on finishing. :)

From the first post: "There’s still one more episode to go before the series comes to a close though!"

Which indeed I think will be a postmortem of sorts.

Smiles

Just writing to say thanks to the team. I, my wife and kids, and everyone I bought this game for are really excited for part 2. So sad for all of the difficult changes.

When is iPad version due out?
If everything goes according to plan, the same time as all the others.

Sign in to follow this