Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

Seeing a couple of tweets about a leak, any idea what's going on?

Ugh. How disappointing. There can only be a limited number of people with access to the game files right now. It's not like a big game with lots of hands on it. I was worried it had been pushed to Steam or something, which happened for a couple of hours with Act 1.

It's because of the fact that they are making a disc version which means sending the game files to Nordic who then send it to who ever manufacturers the disc which are then sent to distributors and so somewhere along that ever widening chain someone (or more than one) feels like leaking it. If it was a digital only release then it would be much harder to have a leak like this.

How far in advance do retail outlets receive games before they appear on the shelves? We might end up seeing a lot of leaks and early copies floating around before the official release on Tuesday.

Well, that deflates the value and security chain involved with Nordic Games. They will have to do a post mortem.

It's almost certainly a retailer. An employee buying a copy in advance is very common in retail. It only takes one of them to copy the iso or just files and it`s in the wild.

Someone in the Kickstarter comments mentioned encountering it in his local games store in the UK (always surprised those still exist over there by the way). One of the fun things that comes with having a disc release I guess.

That's a real bummer, as it's bound to hurt the sales of the game at least little a bit.

It's because of the fact that they are making a disc version which means sending the game files to Nordic who then send it to who ever manufacturers the disc which are then sent to distributors and so somewhere along that ever widening chain someone (or more than one) feels like leaking it. If it was a digital only release then it would be much harder to have a leak like this.

Yep. Likely some idiot involved in this part of the chain. How extremely frustrating. At least it's only a few days until proper release, but still. Fuck!

Or the leak could have been from a review copy?

Oh, if a store accidentally put them out early, I guess that's more likely. How do stores that deal with release dates all the time get things so wrong? *sigh*

This makes me feel...

pukey...

no wait...

grumpy X(

Nothing we can do about it sadly, and it was always going to be pirated, just a shame it had to happen before launch.

I find it interesting that the piracy in this case is not only hurting the developers, but a ton of backers too. =/

Yep. Likely some idiot involved in this part of the chain. How extremely frustrating. At least it's only a few days until proper release, but still. Fuck!

I hope we hear something about this in Episode 20 of DFA!.

Sign in to follow this