Do it again?

Do another Kickstarter?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do another Kickstarter?

• of course, take all my money.
    • Yeah!
    • meh.
    • Nope Nope Nope.

I've personally enjoyed every bit of Broken Age. Watching it grow and come alive from a kickstarter project to a finished game. Every documentary episode was an incredible view into the world of game making and the game itself is awesome. While this is just one man's opinion and i'm sure people agree and disagree on every level with me, I would totally be down to go through this whole process again. It was something unique that I have never experienced with any other game. We all got to track a game from birth to completion and see all the good and bad that came out of it. It is definitely something I would love to experience again. I think it would be cool for DoubleFine to do yet again a kickstarter project with full documentary episodes and side quests and all the jazz from before. Who all agrees? who all disagree? please discuss.

Yeah, this has been a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to back another crowd-funded campaign from Double Fine.

Not only have both the crowd funding campaigns been a tremendous success in my view, but they've produced arguably some of Double Fine's best work, so I would be more than happy to go in again. I think Massive Chalice should also be released first though, just to wipe the Kickstarter slate clean.

I think they should take their time now, reflect a bit, and wait for how it feels after Broken Age and Massive Chalice has been out for a while. And if they go down the kickstarter route, do a bit different.

They have done it it with a doc for Broken Age, and with team streams for Massive Chalice, both games being more ideas then ready concepts. I think for a third time, they should have a more finished concept, perhaps with a small prototype ready (maybe use one of the Amnesia fortnight ones, like Dear Leader). Or maybe something episodic?

I wouldn't hesitate to back any of their kickstarters again, but it might be a bit too exhausting for the staff to jump on that train again too soon.

They should finance a new game some other way, then kickstart another documentary by itself. It'll get even more exposure for 2PP, and they won't feel backer pressure about the game.

They'll likely not hop right back into crowd funding I imagine, but I could see something in 2016 popping up again.

Smiles

I would tell them to not touch Kickstarter or crowd funding again with a ten foot poll.

Crowd funding is no longer in vogue, the hoo hah has died down and a lot of people have been disappointed due to the long waiting times to actually make the game, and when the game comes out it doesn't hit the high note of when the KS started.

It actually, also, looks desperate if they do this again.

So I would suggest, instead of crowd funding, that not every one at DF needs two kidneys or that much plasma.... (JOKING!)

But in regard to the video documentary, I would love to see them do a monthly video diary of what's going on at the studio, just like Nintendo are doing with their directs, but be more personal and show off the work of the staff with their games and outside of the workplace. Maybe make it an annual subscription... Justin take note!

I don't see why crowdfunding should be a more 'desperate' method of funding your game than anything else.

Broken Age's dev cycle was tough, but most backers seem satisfied (we'll know more tomorrow) and the Massive Chalice kickstarter seems to have gone very smoothly, so if I were Double Fine I'd certainly keep that option on the table, for the right project.

It's unlikely it'll be a 3 million game, now, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

I don't see why crowdfunding should be a more 'desperate' method of funding your game than anything else.

Broken Age's dev cycle was tough, but most backers seem satisfied (we'll know more tomorrow) and the Massive Chalice kickstarter seems to have gone very smoothly, so if I were Double Fine I'd certainly keep that option on the table, for the right project.

It's unlikely it'll be a 3 million game, now, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

I just think the message they give out if they crowd fund again is that they are desperate for money and can't secure a deal, or that their games aren't selling enough. That's the message I think they'll give if they use crowd funding again.

Besides, apart from Ron Gilbert's project, there doesn't seem to be a lot of devs going down the KS route anymore, the moment has passed as most devs are asking for less than 25k.

If I was them I would tell them to make a cool tablet game that is so weird and out there and designed specifically for tablet, something like Year Walk or Monument Valley. Cheap, cheerful and extremely profitable.

I just think the message they give out if they crowd fund again is that they are desperate for money and can't secure a deal, or that their games aren't selling enough. That's the message I think they'll give if they use crowd funding again.

Besides, apart from Ron Gilbert's project, there doesn't seem to be a lot of devs going down the KS route anymore, the moment has passed as most devs are asking for less than 25k.

Most of the big names who wanted to get into kickstarter have either already done it or are still doing their first one. But people are still doing it. They're even doing it repeatedly. For example Shadowrun has successfully funded multiple kickstarters, one as recently as february. Speaking of reboots, the Toejam & Earl kickstarter was just recently successful.

While I don't think you have a bunch of companies who are exactly salivating to all hop on kickstarter at once like after the initial explosion, there are still definitely people using it, and projects are still successfully getting funded on it. While I think it would be difficult to argue that kickstarter is THE ANSWER, I think it is still a viable option for certain projects.

I would probably agree, though, that no one should go to kickstarter EXPECTING to make multiple millions of dollars anymore. It's still possible, because there are still crowdfunding campaigns out there making that much money, but I think it's probably wise to go in expecting something in the ballpark of 250k to 500k at most.

That being said, if Double Fine does do another kickstarter, their next one should maybe be a modest one, and any extra money they get beyond their goal should be used to increase features/platforms/etc more than scope.

Also, they should wait for the dust to settle around Broken Age and Massive Chalice a bit first. I'm not sure why I feel that way. I think it just seems polite? I guess? If people are spending money to buy things, they can buy at whatever frequency they want, but when it comes to REQUESTING money from people, I think you have to space that out a little, or let your previous product exist for a little while first. If people were happy with the previous project, maybe they'll support you on another one (see Shadowrun).

If I was them I would tell them to make a cool tablet game

Bleh.... I really hate iOS games. But if that's what they wanted to do...

Bleh.... I really hate iOS games. But if that's what they wanted to do...

While they have dabbled into some smaller-ish games that are platform dependent (Kinect Party, Once Upon a Monster, Middle Manager of Justice), I think they'll likely continue to stick to games that can reach as many platforms as possible as that is where the bang for the buck is.

Smiles

If the next game looks interesting, I'd support another Kickstarter campaign. I mean ideally it would be nice to see sales from Broken Age and Massive Chalice funding the next games, but if that's not possible they'll either need a publisher or crowdfunding. They probably want to avoid publishers more than ever after the last cancellation, so I would not be at all surprised to see another Kickstarter soon. I agree that having some time between the release of Broken Age and the launch of another Kickstarter would be helpful, though this is a drawback of crowdfunding since it would be more efficient if they had a funding source that matched their multi-project production pipeline.

On the topic of platforms, they should make a HoloLens game. I'm not even (entirely) joking, Double Fine's 3D cartoony style would work fantastically in augmented reality and they already have the Kinect Party / Dropchord experience of working with unusual inputs. The feasibility of this depends on when that device becomes available to consumers, but if it's within the next couple years, they should absolutely develop for it. I would buy literally any Double Fine product targeting HoloLens, even if it's just a holographic port of Mountain. (Alright, especially if it's a holographic port of Mountain.)

One thing is for sure, the people coming off Broken Age, and Massive Chalice will need to go onto other projects.

The one we know of is DOTT remastered, which I suspect will not have a huge team but will probably include Oliver

Apart from the cancelled project, there is one other unannounced published project which is still in existence, I think (been a while since I checked the sources but I think I'm right)

It's probable that both those projects can take extra staff to an extent, but the rest will have to be on whatever the next project is, and that'll have to be funded somehow.

I think it's likely the next thing we hear about from DF, before anything else (after MASSIVE CHALICE) is Amnesia Fortnight 2015. They need it!

Apart from the cancelled project, there is one other unannounced published project which is still in existence, I think (been a while since I checked the sources but I think I'm right)

Yeah this definitely exists.

I think there might be another project in planning stages too. Possibly Amnesia Fortnight...

Three years and nine backed games later; personally I'm a little jaded with the whole Kickstarter thing. I didn't even pledge for Ron Gilbert's new project, and Monkey Island was my favourite game growing up.

That's not to say I'd completely rule out backing another Double Fine game, but I wouldn't back another project like this. The first time, when everything was still fresh and new, I was instantly sold on the idea of "Tim Schafer wants to make a new adventure game? Take my money!" In the future I'd want to see a bit of substance before deciding if it was the sort of game I wanted to put my money behind. I think that reflects a general shift surrounding how people feel towards games anyway, away from pre-orders and into a more "wait and see" attitude far more reliant on reviews.

I definitely enjoyed my backer experience here though, largely because of the documentary series which provided regular engagement and offered a unique insight into the inner machinations of game production.

After finishing, and liking BA, I'd say it more or less would depend on what they'd be proposing on Kickstarter.

Yeah this definitely exists.

I think there might be another project in planning stages too. Possibly Amnesia Fortnight...

Matt Hansen appears to say its title in Episode 19 of the doc, but 2PP muted it. Has anyone else tried reading his lips? It's hard, because he's kind of a soft spoken guy, but he appears to say the project's name around 00:15:20. Then again, that's probably just its code name.

Also, when Midnight City was still doing stuff before the Majesco plug got pulled, some comments from Midnight City at a convention made it sound like Black Lake might have been on the agenda. (DO WANT.)

Sign in to follow this