Sign in to follow this  
DF Tim Schafer

Broken Age Backer Release!

Dear Backers of Adventure!

Hi.

This is Tim.

On the eve of our special backer preview of Broken Age Act 2 (aka "Broken Age") I feel moved to write you all a poem. Please bear with me.

O! Backers, sweet backers,

Dear backers of ours!

Put down your power tools!

Pull over your cars!

Something is happening.

It's so effing good.

It came slow, but it came

As fast as it could.

Here's something I've waited

three years to say:

Broken Age is finished

and ready to play.

:)

Holy smokes! Can you believe it? It feels weird. Weirder than I can summarise with that smiley face emoticon. I definitely feel happy, and relieved, and grateful. But mostly I'm just excited! Because I like the game and I hope you will too!

Be on the lookout for an email from Humble Bundle with special instructions for getting the game early on Steam. Then play Broken Age! Your old save game will work, but I personally recommend starting over from the beginning. Now, now, no grumbling. You don't HAVE to. I can't force you. YET. But you really should, and after all, it won't take you long since you know all the puzzles. :) There are just so many hints and story set ups that happen in Act 1 that you need to remember for Act 2 to make sense. Plus, achievements! Anyway, whatevs. You don't have to start over. That's just my recommendation. I'm like that waiter that tells you how to eat your food. No actual legal authority, but you know he's right about the ponzu sauce.

Sounds like a cliche, but it's a fact: This has been a long and crazy journey that we've all been on together. It's been a documentary and a phenomenon and a news item, but now it's just a game. And I really hope you like it because you helped to make it. And not just with your money. :)

Everybody else gets the game on Tuesday. It comes out that day on PC/Mac/Linux, and also PS4, VITA, OUYA, iPad, iPhone, and Android! So please tell all your friends! Feel free to be loud about it! We need to make sure the internet is filled with Broken Age buzz on Tuesday so everybody the world over knows that adventure games aren't dead! Well, I guess they heard that three years ago, but I think it's time they all hear it again.

This isn't our final word to you, the backers. There's another documentary episode coming, and probably more updates. Plus, I think I left my jacket at your house. But this is a huge milestone--shipping the game!--so lets raise a spoonful of flavored nutritional paste and toast to Vella and Shay, and to Broken Age--the game that we all made together.

Thanks for backing. And for sticking by us for three years. You were the best thing that ever happened to us. :)

Love, Tim

It sure does feel weird, but it's a happy kind of weird! I'm super proud to have been a small part of making this game happen, Thanks for sharing the journey with us :)

I totally echo starting from the beginning as well. It all flows much more nicely :D

Edit: For anybody having trouble accessing the beta, visit this thread!

Yes, Tim...

Your jacket is right here in my closet. It's waiting for you.

Now off to play this thing again from the top... all the way through.

I trust you on this...

Congratulation to all the team! I just finished the last episode of the documentary. I'm sure all that effort was worth it. You guys did way more than what we paid for, I hope you realize a lot of us know that.

Now, I'll just continue clicking that "refresh" button on gmail.

I'm going to do the only reasonable thing - drop everything and play.

Thanks again everyone :)

The Steam download is at 25%! Thank you so much, Tim!

I already posted this quote in the HYPE thread, but perhaps it makes more sense here: "It's happening! It's really happening! I promise you won't be sorry, Commander!"

This post will be terse because my download literally just finished as I'm typing this up, but I want to thank all of Double Fine for this crazy 3-year-long experience! It's been a blast!

What an amazing 3 years it's been. A LOT of love and respect to the whole Double Fine team. Now to play the game!!

Happy to be a part of this! It's been really moving to see this all unfold. I wish all you guys at Double Fine much success.

So if I use the humble bundle download will it still work or can I only play Act 2 early if I do it through steam?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that today's release is only available through Steam. The email will be from Humble Bundle and will contain a code and instructions on how to enable the download in Steam.

Hope you get to play it ASAP, I'm downloading it now.

I'm installing as soon as I'm done reinstalling Steam and Act 1.

I've been having computer problems lately but fortunately they're all behind me and the future is bright!

Hooray!

I'll play tomorrow morning. Still doing some other stuff at the moment. Looking forward to it. :)

I feel inspired to reply with some poems...

Tim your jacket's here

Warming me right as we speak,

It's adventure time. :)

Thanks for the great game,

Double Fine should party now,

(Or go home and sleep)

Download's just finished,

This'll be my last Haiku,

I'll play from the start.

Thanks so much Tim and team, hope you liked my shoddy poems. :P I'm off to play your wonderful game! :)

What a fantastic journey it's been! Congratulations to the team and everybody who's been along on this crazy ride. So now that we've all seen how the metaphorical video-game sausage has been made and its only served to whet my appetite for Broken Age even more. I'll be looking forward to the sequel or whatever crazy project comes next!

mmm...video game sausage...tastes like bits, bytes, and love.

(And a shout out to those fine gents at 2 player productions...your videos have been stupendous.)

Everybody else gets the game on Tuesday. It comes out that day on PC/Mac/Linux, and also PS4, VITA, OUYA, iPad, iPhone, and Android!

Is Tim right about Broken Age on iPhones? Act 1 was iPad only. Did this change when I wasn't paying attention? If so, that's awesome!

Finished Vela's Act 1. Working on Shay's act now! Hope to get to a bit on Act 2 before heading to bed!

Look forward to playing next weekend once I have some time.

Smiles

Thanks for the game,

It's been a great ride,

Now I will play.

To Tim and the rest of Double Fine: Congratulations on releasing the game and thank you for making this. I totally love Act 1, so I'm sure I will love Act 2 even more.

After that I will still have the joy of watching most of the documentary episodes, so this surely isn't your final word to me. It's been a rollercoaster ride with ups and downs for you these last three years, but I'm glad we could help you realize this dream of making a new adventure game.

Money in my pocket, adventure games are dead.

What's this thing on youtubes, what's that, that Tim just said?

four hundred thousand to make it, a game and how it's done

just pledge? why not, i'll take it, I pledged kickstarter's fund

Shut up and take my money, the public cry was loud

one day in and funded, one more a million found.

A recordbreaking project, a rain of money down

now all that's left's to make it, in journal freewriting pounds

three years later, act II cometh

and all the backer wait

for midnight release is early, steam unleashed the flood of bits

we wait for download finished, 100% we dream and sit.

Thanks to all of you who made it,

Those still at DF and gone

The game stands completed

Backers cheer

"A Job Well Done"

-With Love and excitement.

-Aaron

Thank you for your work and for this game.

I'm sure act2 will be great and I didn't mind the wait.

I wish you the best for your future games :)

No, no, no. Thank YOU, Double Fine. This is one of the best things to happen to gaming. :)

Sign in to follow this