Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wiplash

Finished Broken Age? Discuss here! (Including Spoilers)

Just finished playing through Act 2 (after starting from the beginning again, per Tim's suggestion). I loved it!

Played as a whole, I thought the ramp up in difficulty was merciful (even for a relative adventure game novice like myself). The puzzles were fun, even when I had to take a break and return to one the following day. I enjoyed the hexapal wiring puzzles in particular, I actually enjoy doodling little diagrams while playing (I think I saw a thread for posting photos of these, I'll have to add one).

It was such a treat to return to these characters and to see them in different contexts (and interacting!). I live in Portland, Oregon, so Curtis's continued descent into rampant hipsterism hit particularly close to home. I adored the reveal of Harmn'y Lightbeard's secret, though I only saw the "jail" achievement after playing... I'll have to catch that on my next playthrough!

The ending was great. It resisted any urge to play the "damsel in distress" card, instead allowing Shay and Vella to retain their autonomy while acknowledging the other's existence. The final moments, so full of promise, are really terrific and thought-provoking.

It's been such an honor to follow the development of this wonderful game (not to mention having my name in its credits). The journey was fraught with danger, but I hope everyone at Double Fine knows how awesome a job they did!

Just finished the game. I think Act 2 was HORRIBLE and DISGUSTING. It's practically a different game than Act 1. I understand some design choices but I cannot forgive them. Broken Age is a phenomena, it's going to be in the spotlight for years - and it resurrects all the 90's trends that adventure games just grew out of.

The story runs on a cliff and jumps from it to a unimaginable void. All the mysteries and questions from Act 1 are answered in the first 15 minutes of playthrough. Why bother to finish the game - why bother to even continue playing if I already know that everything was a lie? The story just crosses itself out, I don't want to start a new game, I want to finish that one! And then everything is answered already, and what's left of it... is a shopping list.

The writing goes checkpoint to checkpoint, providing the player with puzzles but never making any sense. The dialogues are jarring, coming straight from a Land of Boredom. I've spent a LONG time trying to make a joke - while not having any. Was that a joke in itself?

The character of Vella has completely lost any personality, she just became a Galbrush and everyone treat that like an okay thing. Why is it okay? Where in the world a sane person could justify or at least explain her actions? She becomes a real terrorist, causing a nuclear meltdown - twice, with no apparent reason.

The story. Oh, I guess I did expect the aliens, I just did not foresee that the aliens would be so native and so, so naive. My problem is not that the plot twisted on itself - it's what the plots usually do, you know. But you've got to check the corners, especially the big ones. Every "we've secretly planted our agents and openly sent Great Mogs" must be explained somehow, even a lousy excuse is better than no one at all.

The increase of difficulty was a good notion but why crank it up to the highest? I spent 14 hours just on Act 2 just because the puzzles are consciously obfuscated. It increases the feeling of detachment. The game desperately needs a minimap.

Act 2 has so little sense, the title doesn't get any. What is broken in this game except for the game itself?

This is a very sick game and I'm afraid to see what adventure games could be inspired by it. I guess it's a good thing my name's not in the credits. Thank you for your patience reading my thoughts.

Just finished last night and thoroughly enjoyed both Acts! Congratulations Tim and Double Fine - time for some well earned rest!

After playing the whole way though Act 1 as separate characters, I really enjoyed the entropy and momentum of increasingly switching between Shay and Vella throughout Act 2 towards the climax. Yes, there were some challenging puzzles in Act 2, but nothing that was unfair or made me want to give up. Each solution felt rewarding.

I would have loved to see more of Laruna and exposition regarding the intuition between Shay and Vella ("I feel like I've been here before...") left me wanting! I'm glad our heroes didn't explicitly end up in a shoehorned romance. The look at the end said it all, and the player is free to make up their own Happily Ever After story.

Thanks for letting us be a part of this game. 2 Player has done a spectacular job in showing off the blood, sweat and tears it took to nurse Broken Age to maturity.

My favorite "villain" definitely is that Marekai's boss. Might be even my favorite character on this game.

While interaction with him is rather brief, his design is superb, voice acting is awesome and reminds me of someone who could get their race behind him via being charismatic and cunning.

I loved the game. But it sure seems that the story is just the beginning. Kinda like the First Hunger Games movie.

Also, am I the first one to notice that Marekai is an anagram for Amerika? Couldn't find anything in this thread so far.

Hey, I finished THE WHOLE GAME a few minutes ago.

Absolutely loved it.

I was suprised by the twist of the story and (like someone stated before) loved to see the characters get together in the credits.

This was one 3 years ride, wasn't it.

I hope DF has more Adventure to come in the future (since you have an engine now).

I ordered a boxed copy, just for my collection :D

Oh this game in his whole was so awesome!

act 2 was a great development! And man, mum looked fierce ^^ (maybe she could have eaten a little bit more while her journey tho ^^)

Yhea i really loved it and every bit of it. The sceptical look of vella at first, the knifes return (wasn't even the greatest thing happening, but kinda made act 2 even more perfection for me ^^ hehe)

Also Shays part, that left me less interested first cause vela in the space ship was so darn cool, had nice swifts! haha Okay, the steam achievments spoiled the snake puzzle for me, i wouldn't had found out about it close as soon. Even as i allready knew i need to do what have been done with the snake ^^ shays line after solving the snake puzzle has been adventure-game gold too ^^

I loved that part when vella is taking mums place in the spaceship part, so cool having the controls of the ship and having velas face in the sun sphere! ^^

This game found really an awesome balance of challenging puzzles but never beeing stuck to much ever. While playing grim fandango again i realized i became maybe also quite expirienced in playing adventures. I guess it's impossible for me to tell now, but i can't say anymore grim fandango would have been more complex or difficult anymore. And that is awesome! :3

Even, it remembered me alot on myst exile (the only myst part i ever played fully ^^) with all this hints and stuff ^^ This moment with the family photo of Shays and what was hidden in it - awesome sauce! :3 thanks to modern "second screens" with cameras - in this case my tablet, i didn't have to draw all the stuff on a piece of paper beside my keyboard ^^ Adventure games now has fully landed in 2015 and in the present!

yay ^^

Also a huge thumbs up for the smart lines and humour with the lumberjack and the quite nice social critic behind the whole people behind the plague dam. I enjoyed those tones a lot! And it feels like totally like a 2015 game for me, and this ist just awesome (i like adventure games, i am not so much into retro for the sake of it really! Even as i like all those pixelated games and stuff. But i totally don't mind that broken age only adventure game quality-wise is retro now ^^ ) :D

When marek took his mask of and the super-leader later of this whole people was like totally dr. Who, i liked that kinda trashy sci-fi thing a big time! Still awesome drawn and animated! ;D

Also liked big time that vela indeed didn't killed marekai ^^

And it never made so much sence watching the credits ^^ very good even that ;D haha i was afraid i had to wait for the whole credits to go by to see an animation movie or something. Kinda like the credits at the start of monkey island 3, that i usually totally wanted to skip but never could do so cause than you would have missed quite a part of the story in the animation movie after that (that you would have skipped everytime aswell ^^ )

Also i loved the beeyard style of the mogs hangar it was awesome! totally cool ^^

Yhea and the hexapals puzzle in the end (when you kinda allready was afraid it gonne be all over soon, i hate those little end-chapters of an adventure game ^^ same feeling like in monkey island 3 on the fair ... but this time it has been a very nice complex close to end scene ^^) was totally awesome, together with the "wild" square pals ^^

On first sight i found them even quite very scary ^^ good work haha

Yhea i couldn't be happier ^^ thank you so much guys!

All my fears of never playing an awesome adventure game like in the good times, have now totally vanished :D

I am so happy ^^

(even have played grim fandango in awesome 3d at the beginning of this year :3 man this is so awesome ^^)

Yhea, just one thing, please do another adventure game ^^ haha at least somewhen! Now you have proven that you guys are totally capable of this :)

And the easier starting point seems to be a perfect way to get people interested in the story and the whole genre ^^ good work ;D yhea don't know, haven't read to much in this thread yet ... but i'm courious what others had to say about it ^^ allready read a little bitty angry review allready a little above my post ^^

But i found the stroy has been very complete. Well yes it has been complicated. On the other hand the superiour people behind the plaque dam somehow made the whole story quite uncomplicated, imho ^^

Also vela taking "mums" place on the ship and Shay and Vela rescuing indeed everybody while no grown up is doing the right things like they do ... is enough "coming of age" for me. The story behind this for me reads like: Maybe the new generation that makes things differnt have a point. Having a new view onto the world is importand to change it. Also Velas Grandpa still holds the generations together in many ways and doesn't let the old ones look to bad ^^ especially as vella seems to have learned quite some skills, as seen in the end of the whole game ^^ :) And shay, formerly only surrounded by his parents and all the yarn-pals did quite very well in real the real world ^^ good to know ^^ who would have known even HOW importend hug - attacs are! ;D haha not that there would have been a doubt about that ^^

Oh just one more thing!

I totally ignored the suggestion playing the game starting from act 1 again ^^ (especially as i played act 1 more than one time allready anyways ^^)

And this way i have to say, this thing has been awesome as an totally 2 episodes kinda game aswell!

And made like totally sence for me, as act 1 and 2 are like very different but made a lot of sence together.

Reminds me on The Devils Toybox, where every episode has been totally different to the other, but builded up a bigger picture. Of course broken age didn't took it as far as the devils toybox (sam and max by the way ^^) as it also wasn't ment to do so.

But yhea, worked perfectly for me as an episodic thing :)

Even with the two split screens. Siriously, knowing about the fact that you didn't ment to do it that way, it worked out surprisingly perfect ^^

Oh and i also do like the german cast! To say so! ^^ yhea. I gonne play the game now as a whole in german i guess hehe yay :3

Looking forward to this aswell. And it even was my emergency plan quite from the beginning, as i knew i had to play it again because no matter how long it would take me to finish act II it would be to soon ;D haha

Gonne be great now revisiting all the characters and places i now have in fresher memorie of act II ... so for me everything gonne be now quite up side down ^^ (in a good way ;) ) and even in my mother tongue ^^

Hi team,

I just finished this game - it's amazing! In my opinion, it's a real classic, up there with Grim, DOTT, and Full Throttle (maybe not quite as good as Monkey Island 1 & 2 though). You should all be proud of yourselves.

The snake is probably my favourite bit. The joke Curtis makes about it in act 1 is hilarious, and both of the snake puzzles in act 2 are really clever.

If anyone happens to read this who hasn't finished the game yet - make sure to start playing it from act 1. There are so many references back to act 1 in the second act.

I really enjoyed Act II. I think the devs got the difficulty right in this part. I thought Act I was too easy, and while I did not get stuck in Act II (at least not for long) it was much more satisfying. I think the reveal of Shays parents not being computers could have been handled a bit better (or at least a few more hints why he thought they were, or why they did not meet in person for what seems like a long time), but that did not stop me from enjoying the game. The music, graphics, writing and voice acting are really great.

Now I am looking forward to watching the documentaries (my wife and I got stuck at episode 8 when that was released and we did not have enough time to watch it any further since then).

Edit: Thanks for the game and documentary. I think backing the project was worth it.

"Analysis" video indeed. I played through the entire game and such things as "gender roles" didn't even cross to my mind.

Not only were there broad gender themes as others have mentioned, there were also many funny lines that poked at gender stereotypes. For example, I bet the Act 2 dialog with Gus was written under the first-hand impression Tim got from Gamergaters.

Also, am I the first one to notice that Marekai is an anagram for Amerika? Couldn't find anything in this thread so far.

thats a neat idea but...not in english.

"Analysis" video indeed. I played through the entire game and such things as "gender roles" didn't even cross to my mind.

Not only were there broad gender themes as others have mentioned, there were also many funny lines that poked at gender stereotypes. For example, I bet the Act 2 dialog with Gus was written under the first-hand impression Tim got from Gamergaters.

Which lines? The ones about changing his life by drinking juice?

Which lines? The ones about changing his life by drinking juice?

Uhm ... not sure because drunk but ... gross?

No, I mean the part where he wanted to impress a girl, Shay guesses it went badly because she wasn't into video games and he reveals that she in fact is but she's more hard core than he is.

As I said, it's just one example. There were funnier lines in general treating this subject that I don't remember but this part was so video game related that it sounded like Tim was having a dig at the Gamergate jerks who targeted him.

Actually, the maidens are the real oppressors! If they don't want to be eaten, why are they dressed like birthday cakes? #NotAllMogs #NotYourPlagueDam

Actually, the maidens are the real oppressors! If they don't want to be eaten, why are they dressed like birthday cakes? #NotAllMogs #NotYourPlagueDam

Wuohw, victim blaming on its finest! :o

Because they thought their whole home town would get destroyed if not?

So they agreed to sacrifice themself instead of getting killed along with

their whole hometown?

They are kinda proud of saving everybody else.

:roll:

their whole hometown?

sporkman was being sarcastic, if you couldn't tell. He was mocking the victim blaming mentality, not supporting it.

Indeed, also males should be selected, equal amount for offerings of course, because of "equality." After all the maidens are victims of the society and should burn down the system for that.

It's way easier to keep complaining in the cloud town than actually working against bigots like Marekai (outside of sending threats like a very mature adult.)

But in all honesty. I still don't see how "gender roles" is an issue in their world. In act II female characters pretty much do whatever they want and not even males mind that. In fact only Marekai tries to actually stop Vella.

I know what they intended the story focus to be but I feel that it wasn't well delivered though story. There's saying "Show, don't tell" that fits quite well. Whatever they tell in some documentary doesn't really matter if it isn't shown in-game as a focus.

To some extent gender roles are a good thing when it isn't forced upon. Like when gay is not being forced to be straight (pretend.)

their whole hometown?

sporkman was being sarcastic, if you couldn't tell. He was mocking the victim blaming mentality, not supporting it.

Oh sorry, it's allways hard to tell irony if it's not your own language ^^ maybe i generally take things to sirious *clearing my throat*

Must be the language ^^

I happened to stumble upon an article published by Rock, Paper, Shotgun. It was well written but the author of the article didn't really relate to the story and thus found it poor. It's one of those "not sure if click bait" articles.

Indeed, also males should be selected, equal amount for offerings of course, because of "equality." After all the maidens are victims of the society and should burn down the system for that.

It's way easier to keep complaining in the cloud town than actually working against bigots like Marekai (outside of sending threats like a very mature adult.)

But in all honesty. I still don't see how "gender roles" is an issue in their world. In act II female characters pretty much do whatever they want and not even males mind that. In fact only Marekai tries to actually stop Vella.

I know what they intended the story focus to be but I feel that it wasn't well delivered though story. There's saying "Show, don't tell" that fits quite well. Whatever they tell in some documentary doesn't really matter if it isn't shown in-game as a focus.

To some extent gender roles are a good thing when it isn't forced upon. Like when gay is not being forced to be straight (pretend.)

I feel a really strong urge to take apart this comment word by word but it'd take a book to discuss everything that's wrong with it and I somehow doubt you'd change your mind either way. So I'll just hand in a formal note of protest and leave you to it :)

Oh sorry, it's allways hard to tell irony if it's not your own language ^^ maybe i generally take things to sirious *clearing my throat*

Must be the language ^^

No worries! Your reaction to my comment is exactly the reaction someone should have when they encounter this sort of misogynistic language in real life. :)

Act Two did not play as smoothly for me... I enjoyed harder puzzles but as others have noted some did not seem to have enough queues or I missed them.

Act 2 snake is counter intuitive, and REALLY long.. I cut it short twice when I was actually on the right track.

I did not figure out who was the knot expert on my own, I admit I had help... However once that was out of the way I really liked figuring out the pictures

I really liked the cross over puzzles in general..

Was anyone else really disappointing that the games cheat sheet for the boot puzzle was not in fact click-able? I thought GREAT I can keep notes..... then I had to find some paper and duplicate the grid to get through it.

My least favorite puzzles where the teleport puzzles, just because of all the backtracking. I didn't find them hard, just tedious.

Was anyone else really disappointing that the games cheat sheet for the boot puzzle was not in fact click-able?

Eh? What cheat sheet?

Was anyone else really disappointing that the games cheat sheet for the boot puzzle was not in fact click-able?

Eh? What cheat sheet?

The chart that appeared in Trophy room after you fail few times on the shoe puzzle. It was only image of information grid that helps you close out the wrong answers and list of items that helps you fill it.

Was anyone else really disappointing that the games cheat sheet for the boot puzzle was not in fact click-able? I thought GREAT I can keep notes..... then I had to find some paper and duplicate the grid to get through it.

This bugged me immensely. Mostly in some kind of cognitive flow context, I suppose. I did not restart from act 1 but picked up from act 2. To me it felt like coming from a modern point'n'click to an old school adventure. From Phoenix or Telltale to early 90's Sierra :) The game tries to tell me i need a notepad but for this particular puzzle I kept expecting Vella to fill it out - like in a modern adventure. (I also recall it as she kept mentioning she would, but maybe I'm wrong!?). It felt counter intuitive to have a character do half a solution in-game and expect players to do the rest outside. Especially when Shay doesn't do it later on with the wire puzzle. And I personally find a very weird to do for a game designed for tablets since most people will be lounging in a chair/sofa or in transit without a notepad.

I assumed that the note was bugged. The game indicated that Vella would fill it but I'm not her.

Sign in to follow this