Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wiplash

Finished Broken Age? Discuss here! (Including Spoilers)

Was anyone else really disappointing that the games cheat sheet for the boot puzzle was not in fact click-able? I thought GREAT I can keep notes..... then I had to find some paper and duplicate the grid to get through it.

This bugged me immensely. Mostly in some kind of cognitive flow context, I suppose. I did not restart from act 1 but picked up from act 2. To me it felt like coming from a modern point'n'click to an old school adventure. From Phoenix or Telltale to early 90's Sierra :) The game tries to tell me i need a notepad but for this particular puzzle I kept expecting Vella to fill it out - like in a modern adventure. (I also recall it as she kept mentioning she would, but maybe I'm wrong!?). It felt counter intuitive to have a character do half a solution in-game and expect players to do the rest outside. Especially when Shay doesn't do it later on with the wire puzzle. And I personally find a very weird to do for a game designed for tablets since most people will be lounging in a chair/sofa or in transit without a notepad.

Well it is designes for pc (win linux) and mac. It is ALSO available for tablets.

But even if you have a tablet, you could make a photo of it with your phone, still. I didn't used a pen or paper even once after i realized how stupid it was to draw the first thing like in the old day on a piece of paper ^^

And i have to say, i hate playing games that have been designed especially for tablets on pc. And this game is so awesome drawn and animated, it simply deserves a huge screen. At least like external monitor. I find even my laptop display a little smal to get all this beautiful animation and work of art in.

So yes it is not designed for tablets. That's just an abstract critic someone made up because, and - that is how i explained that "complain" to myself - i guess because it looked too modern??? Maybe because of the menu style or something? I don't even know how this is a - tablet - thing (especially a only tablet thing ) because the menu is so clickable with big fingers or why?

Even the effect of the mouse is moving over the cardboards on the startmenu is kinda animated for mouse interaction.

All the backers only get computer versions. (and onya? I'm not that informed about that part ...) .

So no it is not a mobile game.

It is point, and click. Usually most popular used with a mouse.

Also nicely useable with a touchscreen. Still made for computers with mouse interaction. Again, i don't know even why this should be in any way be more or less "a mobile game" as lets say Monkey Island 3, as mi 3 is the most of all equal kind of adventure game from the art style and interaction (minus the 3 interaction-ways-coin of course) (even the easy or hard mode selection screen at the very beginning of mi 3 is hyper touchscreen friendly designed). And monkey island 3 couldn't more obviously be not made for touchscreens.

( i would love to play mi3 on my tablet tho ^^ ... )

PC ornot, I just think the player should have been able to use that sheet to take notes in game... Still forced to solve the puzzle and fill it in them self, not have the character do it.

Same goes for the bot puzzles, it would have been nice ONCE the player / character learned a wiring sequence to have a little cheat sheet appear that let them commit it to memory for reference..

I see it as more of a missed opportunity than an issue.

I really enjoyed playing through the game and the added complexity / layers for act 2...

I just think a few tweaks to queues would have avoided some dead ends for me, I like it better when puzzles build on past skills as you go along and the solution requires the player to use the GAME/STORY logic to solve the puzzle... If items are too disconnected I find them frustrating.

PC ornot, I just think the player should have been able to use that sheet to take notes in game... Still forced to solve the puzzle and fill it in them self, not have the character do it.

Same goes for the bot puzzles, it would have been nice ONCE the player / character learned a wiring sequence to have a little cheat sheet appear that let them commit it to memory for reference..

I see it as more of a missed opportunity than an issue.

I really enjoyed playing through the game and the added complexity / layers for act 2...

I just think a few tweaks to queues would have avoided some dead ends for me, I like it better when puzzles build on past skills as you go along and the solution requires the player to use the GAME/STORY logic to solve the puzzle... If items are too disconnected I find them frustrating.

mhm, me personally prefers it as it has been a lot. Getting to do the right wirering at the right time again has been much more challenging as if it had happened because you used that skill once but have to never again.

Like, finding out about the fact that you need this darn wiring you thought you would never need to be done again (WARNING BIG SPOILER following: like all over my post - the harfe for the tickling especially) and than find out ... oh my god, thank god alex started the harfe program again.

So this was part of the fun. Also in the end you had been extra proud of yourself having mananged all that.

The finale has been AWESOME puzzle solving and really entertaining and exciting.

Adventure Games ain't supposed to be - intuitive - :o

There are more than enough boring lazy click-through - games out there.

And i personally found it very nice done, that all the informations you had once, but didn't knew you would need them again, appeared somewhere else when you needed them.

a) you had to search for them again (i loved it ^^ this mixture of frustration and relief that it still is somewhere else)

b) but you hadn't at any time to load an old saved game what indeed would have been annoying. But you didn't had to. Work of a genius ^^

So if you thought you wouldn't need the harfe pattern of the wires again, alex is gonne do that pattern again afer the noisy square and hexipals ( i didn't made a photo of this pattern first, cause i didn't thought i would need it a second time)

If you forgot the pattern for the nav scarf, you had to talk to alex and find the note about the "starchart like thing" and he tells you for what location his notes are for.

And you could allways return to that place and make a photo of this pattern again when and as long as needed.

So there ain't like missed opportunities in this game, you would need saved games for. (at least not while my playthrough)

But than again act II allready did a perfectly good job for us not having to do useless stuff again. Like walking to Carol for the knot paper. There have been shortcuts. And NICE HIDDEN hints. You had to SEARCH for first. But you kinda like knew, they had to be there. But not where and how and stuff.

Tim promised to make an oldschool point and click adventure game. Thank god this time on second act he didn't made anything intuitive. Thats what tons of people have been complaining about in act I.

Also having to use things AGAIN in another context is one of the most perfect things in adventures. Cause you need to use your brain. But still the solution isn't too far away.

This whole wiring, if the character would have done it after the first time like on autopilot the whole finale would have been like 100% ruined for me. Maybe it simply wouldn't had impressed me at all and i would have thought ... yha, well, that was easy, sad the end came so soon. Nice drawings and animations tho

(yhea i didn't thought so, i loved the game such a big time instead :D)

(not that the wireing has been the only thing that had been complicated. But this all together at the same time, jum, adventure gold - c'mon, it has been the "boss fight")

This whole wiring, if the character would have done it after the first time like on autopilot the whole finale would have been like 100% ruined for me. Maybe it simply wouldn't had impressed me at all and i would have thought ... yha, well, that was easy, sad the end came so soon. Nice drawings and animations tho

(yhea i didn't thought so, i loved the game such a big time instead :D)

(not that the wireing has been the only thing that had been complicated. But this all together at the same time, jum, adventure gold - c'mon, it has been the "boss fight")

I am not suggesting that the bot wiring should have been automatic, instead a reference of the target patters would have been nice to pull up... Like the first picture... as a player you would still need to figure out which bot wiring to do based off of the target pattern and figure out which pattern to use.

The bots had what 4 functioning states? Repair, hand waving/harp playing, flashlight waving/drumming and dancing. The mechanic is the wiring, to achieve the state. Much like the age puzzle I would have liked a sheet in game to track this... Ultimately I did this with pen and paper.. I am asking for virtual pen and paper, not autocomplete.

I am not suggesting that the bot wiring should have been automatic, instead a reference of the target patters would have been nice to pull up... Like the first picture... as a player you would still need to figure out which bot wiring to do based off of the target pattern and figure out which pattern to use.

The bots had what 4 functioning states? Repair, hand waving/harp playing, flashlight waving/drumming and dancing. The mechanic is the wiring, to achieve the state. Much like the age puzzle I would have liked a sheet in game to track this... Ultimately I did this with pen and paper.. I am asking for virtual pen and paper, not autocomplete.

Ah okay ^^ Sorry! My mistake

yhea but still it is not a tablet only game. Mhm okay, i get your point now fully how on a tablet this would have made sence.

In fact i used my tablet for making photos.

As soon as you play this whole thing on your phone and you don't have a tablet the photo thing doesn't work anymore ^^ (and don't have a diggi cam ...)

Well, i personally enjoyed very much using a pen and paper first and having to interact with something outside my computer screen ^^ even as it has been another screen later ^^

I don't know. Okay, if you are in a train, and do have only your phone (i wouldn't recoment to play this game on such a tiny screen tho) and ALSO don't have any notepad and or paper and pen. ....

Mhm. I don't know. Still i am not really confinced ^^ - that all this programming would have been realy worth it? ;)

I really enjoyed the game as a whole - the presentation is superb throughout, music (so varied! One minute it's big orchestral stuff or Alan Silvestri-ish bits, the next it's creepy electric guitar or delicate xylophone) and sound, visuals, acting (Nick Jameson wooo!). And though there are some hiccups in the writing, I think it was generally very strong. Even if the big stuff doesn't always hit the right notes, the small stuff is always great. The dialogue, the characters, the environments.

I think the big changes from act 1 to 2 - harder puzzles, sudden swerve into Dune-esque story, loads of exposition at the front of Act 2 -

would actually work better for someone playing it as one full game rather than two acts: it would come across purely as a storytelling device reflecting the heightened seriousness now Shay and Vella are out of their own environments and Mog/spaceship has been taken down, plus all working as one massive mid-game revelation sequence that would group in with the big twist.

It's also hard to imagine what experience I would have had playing this game if I heard that Tim Schafer was making a new adventure game at DF and resolved to avoid all knowledge of it so I could play the game 100% cold. I'm looking forward to playing it again in a few years and getting a little closer to that experience!

Re. the world-building not being cohesive, I didn't feel that. I enjoyed that there were these different towns with their own themes, all linked together physically to the extent that they all communicated about the Maiden's Feasts and Vella's family could move around within them all. The only thing I guess could have helped would have been references to other towns that we don't see.

i really enjoyed Broken Age until these wiring puzzles ruined it for me that much, that i won't play it again. Come on, was that really necessary?

I was relieved that the wiring puzzles were relatively simple tbh, I normally suck at that type of thing.

One thing I was waiting for an answer to was why for example Shay would say that the damaged bird costumes looked familiar (and I believe Vella had similar feelings about stuff on the spaceship). Were these hints towards their having a shared subconscious, or am I missing something? (I wonder, should we have a thread for discussing minor plot stuff like this if there isn't one already?)

I was relieved that the wiring puzzles were relatively simple tbh, I normally suck at that type of thing.

One thing I was waiting for an answer to was why for example Shay would say that the damaged bird costumes looked familiar (and I believe Vella had similar feelings about stuff on the spaceship). Were these hints towards their having a shared subconscious, or am I missing something? (I wonder, should we have a thread for discussing minor plot stuff like this if there isn't one already?)

Shay is feeling this since the "creature rescue" screens show creatures that look a bit like exaggerated cartoon versions of the costumes that the maiden have on...

Both of them have comments about re-wiring the robots since the characters do not directly get the info they need to do the work.

I just finished acts I + II and I liked it. There were weaknesses and I had to use one or two tips from the internet when I got stuck, but I really enjoyed the concept that you couldn't end up in a dead end or die.

I paid only a small amount of money and got a three year journey with DF. The documentary was awesome. You guys at DF gave it all. Thank you.

I interpreted those bird sculptures as being props more than costumes.

There's a bunch of talk in the game about the protagonists' intuition being important.

Anna's post earlier in this thread leads me to believe that my guesses (and others'!) after first completing the game that player agency is represented within the narrative as Shay and Vella's "intuition" might be correct.

I just finished the game, and really enjoyed it.

For me, the puzzles were perfect. I never felt frustrated and I was happy that I never needed to exit the game and look for hints online. At the same time, they were challenging enough to keep me interested, and solving them felt rewarding. The easier, linear puzzle design of Act 1 and the more difficult non-linear puzzles of Act 2 made the game feel very well balanced.

Of course, the art, animation, music, sound, dialogue etc. were all top notch.

My only criticism would be that the story could have been tighter -- particularly the parts that have been discussed in this thread, such as why Shay's mom and dad neglected him for so long, and the logic behind project Dandelion. But this did not destroy the game for me.

Thank you Double Fine and the Reds team for making such an excellent game! I really appreciate your hard work and dedication.

Weren't the bird costumes familiar to Shay because he had seen them while "rescuing" the maidens in Act 1? As in the picture below:

c28343f30656549dc5105ccac66eea0c.jpg?itok=x1kmWHz7

Just finished the game yesterday and absolutely loved it. As I mentioned in the other thread, I thought the puzzle design was really well done. Compared to Act I, the puzzles had a level of complexity that really pushed me to explore the world. Finding out the solutions without a walkthrough, but with some clever hints in the dialogue or in the environment, provided for a very satisfying experience. I usually played adventure games just because of the story. This is probably one of the first in which solving the different puzzles provided equal (if not more) satisfaction. The Hexipal rewiring in particular was really fun to figure out. And just like Act 1 the art, music, animation and voice acting is so good that I can't think of any words to describe it.

In genreral I thought the story was pretty interesting: the general setup and the twists and turns it takes along the way definitely kept me engaged. The ending sequence also brought a satisfying closure on a more emotional level. I agree with most comments made in this thread about some some of the apparent plot holes, however.

I think I needed just a little bit more explanation about Operation Dandelion to fully appreciate the game's underlying themes. Some more background information about Shay's parents probably would have made it click a lot more. Now my brain is still processing the intricacies of the story, instead of thinking about what general themes we could derive from it. For a while, for instance, I was pursuing the theory that Hope could have been a maiden in a previous feast, because of the obvious parallels between her talk about the sacrifice she made and Vella's story, only now - after reading this thread - to realise that this is not possible and that she was probably referring to her role in Operation Dandelion. Things like that will probably be more clear after playing it a second time, but I feel there should have been some more nuggets of dialogue about the life of Shay's parents in Lurona and their relationship with their son, just to flesh it out a bit more.

What I probably enjoyed most were the interactions with all the different characters. Tim's dialogue is wonderful and the little vignettes during the end credits were amazing!

I don't know why Yogcast Kim went to rant about the wiring puzzles after them taking only 30 minutes. It's an adventure game. Also the symbols don't change their position during the same playthrough so she could have saved a lot of time by just writing positions down but maybe she didn't see the connection.

I feel that many of these people would be way angrier if they played some of the classic ones. It isn't a badly designed puzzle and the solution is quite trivial.

HOWEVER, I kind of agree that people without habit of investigating entire room they're in would have been pointed out "Hey, maybe I should use that thing to check the wiring of this bot!"

I don't know why Yogcast Kim went to rant about the wiring puzzles after them taking only 30 minutes. It's an adventure game. Also the symbols don't change their position during the same playthrough so she could have saved a lot of time by just writing positions down but maybe she didn't see the connection.

I feel that many of these people would be way angrier if they played some of the classic ones. It isn't a badly designed puzzle and the solution is quite trivial.

HOWEVER, I kind of agree that people without habit of investigating entire room they're in would have been pointed out "Hey, maybe I should use that thing to check the wiring of this bot!"

The wiring puzzles were very good and very reminiscent of a Myst style puzzle, IMO.

Immediately after playing Broken Age, I played the original Broken Sword, and some of the puzzles in that game were awful in exactly the way that Old Man Murray article describes.

I think some people have either not experienced or else have lost perspective on how weirdly frivolous and capricious old school adventure game "puzzles" could be.

Also, although Broken Age doesn't have a hint system, the characters give you LOTS of verbal feedback and hints in their dialogue. That is a luxury you don't really get in most adventure games. A hint system is just a band-aid placed over the biggest problem adventure games have. Rather than using the band-aid, Broken Age tries to smooth out the main problem instead, and I think they did a pretty decent job, considering it is a difficult problem to solve in a balanced way.

I can only agree with most of you guys. I just finished act 2 and i am very happy with it.

Here is what i wrote after playing through act 1:

"I think it is a great game, but some important aspects are missing for me. I really like the fascinating atmosphere, characters, graphics and the story in this awesome surreal world . But the puzzles were way too easy and the game seemed very short, even if its just half a game. Actually i was quiet surprised that the game did not start at the end of act I along with harder puzzles i was expecting after the short “warm up”. In addition i think the interface is too simple. Just clicking the left mouse button and dragging objects does not give enough options. How about a “look at” function. "

Well and now I can say that the game still has a fascinating story and Atmosphere. I like the way the story goes on and the twists it has.

The puzzles got pretty hard in act 2, what is the time for a big "THANK YOU!", because that was the main thing I was missing in act 1. I think the amount of clues was absolutely right and the puzzles were all solvable if you just observe everything closely and think for a while.

Also the length of act 2 is great, what may also have something to do with the harder puzzles. In that context i am really happy that you took all the time you needed to do everything right. So far i think everything i critizised was perfectly corrected act 2.

And then there is the interface...i still think you could make interesting puzzles with more actions than clicking your left mouse button. But i think i am ok with it after all. I really had to laugh when Vella said something like "i need a pull, a push or anything!".

So to sum it up: GREAT WORK!!!

I really hope we will see a new adventure game of your team soon! I would back it again any time.

There is a "look" option for inventory items at least. I do think the game makes up for its lack of verbs, though, with the staggering amount of unique dialogue it has for random inventory interactions and combinations. You can use everything on everything, and there's almost always some unique joke or acknowledgement of what the player might be trying to do.

I liked the game. :-)

PROs:

1) The themes in the story are interesting and emotional. The game has a heart that I rarely experience in games, at least like this. Nowadays you usually get a lot of indies dealing with "emotions", but I appreciate the way feelings and themes are interwoven in a funny atmosphere, keeping dialogs lighthearted.

2) I was among those who complained about the lack of difficulty in Act 1. I've been heard and I really enjoyed the challenge I got from Act 2. You've been listening, Tim. I particularly liked Hexipals: they're both puzzle-related items AND funny characters. It's always great when you manage to make the link between design and mood so strong. Who did the graphic design for them? Something about their puzzles reminded me of Loom musical threads and broken alien machinery in The Dig.

3) Art and animation. I can understand if this style is not everyone's cup of tea, but the way backgrounds and animations are executed is really top notch. Plus, the game looks great from a technical standpoint too: the way light interacts with 2D characters is more sophisticated than what I'm used to in the average adventure game.

4) Music and... SOUND DESIGN. I love Peter as anyone else, but I really want to express my appreciation for Camden's work. There's something bizarre and unsettling in the spaceship sounds, in both acts, and sfxs complement music with class. As in the old LucasArts days, the whole sound work isn't less important than the visual pizzaz. It's just more... subliminal!

CONs:

1) Plot would have been stronger with more hints to find solid explanations. As it is, some things are left to the player to reconstruct, or even to make up entirely. Some examples. In Act 2 Shay and Vella solve puzzles together but they don't interact: this COULD be related to their "connection"; the "COULD" part is the reason why some gamers and reviewers are bashing the writing for being sloppy (which is a shame, considering my #1 PRO point, dang it!). Another example: Shay interacted with his parents when he was 6 years old or so: did he forget this and really believed his parents were computers, with this being part of villains' treatment protocol? That's the explanation I gave myself, but the game doesn't provide it. Last example: I had some trouble in understanding what I was trying to achieve in the final puzzle. I mean, I understood how to solve the puzzle per se, but I had to reconstruct what Shay and Vella wanted to do AFTER I solved the puzzle.

2) The finale is great in theory, but I have some problems with its staging. The bridge idea is pivotal, but I didn't realize it was the central meaning of those shots until I saw the "annual bridge celebration" art, during the end credits. The gap the bridge covers also seems too narrow to be... symbolic enough (I don't know if I'm making sense). Maybe if Shay's and Vella's families had crossed the bridge too, the whole idea would have been clearer. Also, the defeat of Thrush seemed too important to be narrated via a simple drawing during the credits.

3) Ok. I know Curtis and the Dialog Tree are fans' favorites, but... I fail to see where they fit in the scope and the meaning of the story. I remember that, when I read that those characters and locations of the tech demo were about to be implemented in the final game, I shrugged: "Well, Tim has probably found a way to put them in the story flow". Well, they still feel out of place to me. They're not a community, they're not a family, they're not villains, they're not parents, they're not chiefs, they're not sons/daughters. They feel... distracting. I also find Gus a hard-to-relate-to character, but at least he's still part of his community, so his destiny is linked to the main theme of the story.

4) I liked the idea of the switched point of view and revisiting locations. As much as I like the idea from a narrative standpoint, I would have liked Merriloft and Shellmound more... visually different in Act 2: what about seeing them in the night or at dawn? Something along the lines of the half-destroyed ship, which on the contrary is very effective.

There's a bunch of talk in the game about the protagonists' intuition being important.

Anna's post earlier in this thread leads me to believe that my guesses (and others'!) after first completing the game that player agency is represented within the narrative as Shay and Vella's "intuition" might be correct.

did vela really have any of those moments? The Birds costumes has been explained allready.

But i feel like this whole second act totally works as vela and shay totally not beeing telepathic connected.

This whole "Shay got the right intiution in that kind of age (14) for such things" - as great genes. As great girls. He is in puberty.

Tim only has been way too classy to say "Hey, we know the girl got the greatest genes for us, when he is gonne be turned on by her and want to rescue her" ^^

Also, the navscarf puzzle when Vela even got an "Intuition" Achievement in Steam. Yhea well. I guess this was more like the Teams way solving the problem that there wouldn't have been an puzzle crossing shay and vela at that point, if vela so to speak didn't - story wise - solved it by herself just with trying! Like ... lets say "Oh, it even works, i had luck to randomly pick the right coordinates" instead of "good intuition" ... of course good intuition sounds better ^^

Especially as she simply wanted to get the ship out of there! Like, she could had picked any coordninates for that matter, and the ship would have been on the way past the plague dam anyway.

Still, the player become the intuition in some way. But for me there is no further connection between shay and vela. It's for me more like both figure it out for them self. And even "without us, the players" somehow they would have figured it out.

And Velas Sister found out the dancing wireing just on her own while trying around at the very first place. So there again is a hint there is no mental connection between Shay and Vela aswell.

More like in this family people simply got a great Intuition (and shay again is in his puberty ^^ as vela is aswell i guess ^^)

In the end of the credits shay and vela ended up back on back for real this time. I really love, story wise, that this is not a love story! Shay and Vela could have become just friends maybe. Tim left this like totally open. I like this. Everybody could imagine into this whatever he or she likes ^^ I like the friendship thought somewhat ^^ Maybe because i am not a big fan of arranged marriage, including maiden-feasts and stuff. ;D

And yep, maybe there should have been another thread about such a topic haha well i hope this won't lead this one too much off topic ^^ i think it still goes quite okay ;D haha

did vela really have any of those moments? The Birds costumes has been explained allready.

Yeah, she did. Aside from the recall pattern puzzle that you mention (the idea that Vella randomly picked coordinates doesn't fly because a) other random stuff you try doesn't work, and b) she only has a good feeling about the one that does work), she talks about having a "good feeling" about a number of actions. There's also the name of Shay's favourite toy.

Like I said, I don't see the bird sculptures as costumes, so they aren't explained away by the above posts for me :)

Guess I'll give a short impression, after finishing the game.

I naturally assumed Shay and Vella have been hardened by their experiences, and knowing about each other quite a bit (through other people and clues), they were reading each others actions in the last chapter. Sort of like a mute dance of two people in sync.

And when they finally met, at least to me, it felt like they had that look in their eyes, hey I know you, no introduction necessary.

But if the idea was that the player was some force connecting them, I can see how that works, although I kinda prefer my own interpretation, without the third party influence. It just keeps it more real and down to earth, I guess.

Loved the Terminator 2 reference by Hugging Gary, there were plenty more and probably even more I've missed on the first play through, but they do make me giggle on the inside.

I actually didn't mind the puzzles difficulty, made me go old school, taking notes, singing patterns to myself to remember etc. I did try to fill out that note sheet with Vella like a dozen times, about Shay's things, it certainly led me to believe I could fill it out.

Maybe I'm minority on this one, but kinda glad there was no theatrical explanation and drag scenes of closure with the bad guys. We had that talk on the monitor while playing Vella, everything important is explained, the rest is left to open interpretation. Simply knowing about their real intentions has put an end to it.

I'm thinking maybe a tight deadline wasn't a bad thing, STORY WISE (easy with pitchforks at Double Fine), because it feels like Tim was forced to rely on his instincts, and just get the essence flowing. All I can say (in Homer Simpson voice), plug it in my vein.

My first post here on the DFA forums- I was a backer in the original kickstarter, and then bought an extra copy for iPad (great game for lazing around in bed/the couch and playing!) and watched all the main documentary episodes, so this is a bit of a hefty reaction-dump.

Big thanks to all of the Double Fine crew, it's been an awesome adventure and well worth the $30-odd I spent to help make it happen!

Impressions:

ACT 1:

Act 1 was, to be honest, pretty underwhelming. One of the biggest gripes I had was the lack of intro cutscenes to hook us into the story!

Both Full Throttle & Grim Fandango had great intros (especially Full Throttle!) so it baffles me why Broken Age lacked one and the game suffers for the lack of it in my opinion.

While the art and music were great and drew me into the world(s), I really didn't feel like I had any motivation to do anything at the start of the game. Sitting under that tree with Vella was beautiful, and I didn't feel any reason to move on from there.

It didn't make sense that everyone would so cheerily sacrifice their daughters (or themselves) to a monster for one thing- it would have made much more sense to me if more people were against the idea but felt powerless to oppose it. As it was, Vella's whole family (apart from Beastender) seemed either spineless, heartless or stupid when they were introduced, and yet they were presented as caring thoughtful people. I might have been able to buy it if there had been more of a setup in an intro sequence. As it was, I had no motivation to solve the very first puzzles of the game, apart from knowing that it was a game. Why would I want to find the ceremonial knife (for example) if it speeds up my imminent demise? Why would I want to trick Gramps into giving it to me if he's the only one trying to save me?

I'm doing the very first puzzle of the game, I don't really know why I'm doing it AND I'm acting against my own interests. Bad start!

And then you switch over to Shay. Once again, no intro, nothing to give me a reason to care about this kid. And then I'm faced with a bunch of tedious, repetitive 'missions' as my first introduction to the character. I get that it's supposed to establish his ennui, but as a player I don't think ennui is the experience I want to be having in the very first moments of a game. Also, sorry to say it but those yarn pals were annoying as hell and it was painful listening to them squeaking out the same lines of dialogue repetitively while I figured out what to do.

Even once Marek came along, which was a relief, I felt like I was just jumping through hoops until we found out what was really going on in Act 2.

Out of interest I gave it to my girlfriend to play. She's played point and click games before but didn't have the nostalgia I had to keep me going. It would be fair to say she was confused and pretty bored after the first ten minutes.

So apart from the beautiful art and music, I think the start of the game was a bit of a misfire.

ACT 2:

Act 2 on the other hand was a huge improvement! As suggested, I restarted the game and played through from the start. The game doesn't really start going anywhere until Act 2 begins, because we finally start to understand why we're doing anything. Of course, the puzzles also improved as well and became much more fun to solve which was a big help.

In fact, once we had the basic story in place, some supporting characters to connect to and some of that old Schafer humour coming through, I really enjoyed the game. The whole story with the Thrush was flimsy as hell and felt tacked on but to be honest I didn't particularly care. By that stage the story (for me) was really just about getting Shay and Vella back to their families who (thankfully) were somewhat more developed in the 2nd Act.

CHARACTERS:

Both the main characters were good and felt familiar thanks to the classic Tim Schafer musings.

I really enjoyed some of the supporting characters- Dutch, the Tree, the Hipster, Shay's parents, M'Gee and by the end the Hexipals came into their own as well. I didn't like many of the adult humans in Vella's world, and Vella's family in particular were a big weak-point in the cast for me. Completely useless and extremely nonchalant about their daughter's well-being throughout the entire game, in a way that just seems poorly written. I mean they literally stood in a corner (or danced!) watching everyone else frantically do things at the end! The kind of people that would offer you marshmallows while your house burnt down. It would have seemed more realistic and satisfying to me if Vella was more rebellious toward her parents, because they really didn't seem to give two shits about her. Then at the end when she saved the day, maybe they could have realised how much they'd taken her for granted. But nope. I mean her mother was practically hitting on that bird-girl on the swing...

Shay's parents may have been absurdly distant at first, but at least they both took an active role in protecting their family when shit went down.

PUZZLES:

I'm glad to say I never succumbed to hints or walkthroughs to solve any of the puzzles. I came close early in Act 2 trying to get Hope to open the central control room door. I'm so glad I stuck it out and solved it for myself, because the feeling of satisfaction I got from it kept me going for the rest of the game. I knew that if I just paid attention to the in-game hints and took some time to think, the answers would come to me. The knots puzzle was a bit annoying, mostly because it just seemed artificially difficult. The solution was pretty obvious, but you still had to resort to trial and error because of intentionally vague info.

The wiring puzzles weren't that bad after the initial one, I ended up enjoying them quite a bit especially with that interplay between the two characters and their access to different bits of information & items.

OVERALL:

The charm of the game, combined with the satisfaction of solving the puzzles resulted in a really rewarding experience for me, to the point where I even enjoyed the fact that the story didn't really make any sense and the staging of the ending was a bit clunky. It was a bit like Scooby Doo- it's absurd that the janitor is dressing up like a swamp monster to scare the kids away from the theme park but, in the end, that's kinda what's fun about it too.

So again, overall the whole game was a lot of fun and combined with the behind-the-scenes insight I got with the documentary series, it has been very much worth the money I paid. Thanks to everyone involved for all the hard work creating this game and the huge level of transparency in showing us all how it was done!

Here's to more point and click adventure games!

Yeah, she did. Aside from the recall pattern puzzle that you mention (the idea that Vella randomly picked coordinates doesn't fly because a) other random stuff you try doesn't work, and b) she only has a good feeling about the one that does work), she talks about having a "good feeling" about a number of actions. There's also the name of Shay's favourite toy.

Like I said, I don't see the bird sculptures as costumes, so they aren't explained away by the above posts for me :)

Yhea okay, the favorite toy of Shay convince me!

Still the bird sculptures has been as viewable for Shay as the costumes. This line stays for me un-telepathic ^^

Yhea okay, the favorite toy of Shay convince me!

Still the bird sculptures has been as viewable for Shay as the costumes. This line stays for me un-telepathic ^^

I still don't think the bird sculptures were visible to Shay as the "creatures" he was "rescuing" (they're separate to the costumes that the maidens were presumably still wearing somewhere conveniently offscreen at the end of the game :D ).

In dustcropper's post, you can see that the hat of the maiden who was left behind (Twyla) is the most prominent part of her "creature" caricature, but the bird sculpture we see her sitting in in Meriloft doesn't seem to be represented at all on the viewscreen.

I feel that the designers of various games purposely make the main characters to stand out.

Let's take Cloud Strife for example.

He has big bracelets and all kind of other things that he wears to make him really stand out of rest of the party. Not to mention his spiky hair while other playable characters has quite normal hairs. Only other really weirdly designed character is Sephiroth in that game.

This can be also applied to Broken Age. Vella and Shay really stand out by their design while all the other characters outside of Marekai and his boss have quite normal clothing and style in comparison.

Then again, I might just be delusional about this. In my commercial RPG pretty much all the playable characters are made to stand out.

This can be also applied to Broken Age. Vella and Shay really stand out by their design while all the other characters outside of Marekai and his boss have quite normal clothing and style in comparison.

... Are you sure?

areyou1.PNG

areyou2.PNG

areyou3.PNG

areyou4.PNG

areyou5.PNG

areyou6.PNG

areyou7.PNG

I finished the game a couple of days ago and I really enjoyed it! I will probably play it in a few weeks again, partly to get more Steam achievements but mostly to relive the story. My comments below:

1) Though Act I was quite short, ACT II was quite longer. As a whole, BA took me enough time to complete that I would feel I got my money's worth if I bought it full price.

2) I enjoyed the story and how the plot developed. I believe it is not Tim's top work but it is good enough to be placed next to his past creations. I also believe that if Tim was given more time and had less pressure to release this game, the story would be even better, but I guess he knows himself better than me :)

3) Puzzles! Yes! DF listened to us! This is the type of puzzles I like. The ones that you know more or less what you need to do but you need to take several steps and pass multiple obstacles to solve them. I loved how some solutions could be found from the other character, like the robot semantics. And, most importantly, I felt smart when I solved them, which is one of the reasons I love adventure games. Well played Tim, well played.

4) Visuals, music, voice acting and animations were excellent. A couple of times I noticed some minor visual glitches, like a hand delaying to disappear behind an object, but generally I found the game bug free.

I only have one complaint, which is not being able to bypass dialogue lines (only the whole dialogue can be bypassed with space on the PC version). I use it quite often if I want to remember a particular piece of information from a repeating dialogue and I found it a bit annoying having to run the whole dialogue again.

Thank you DF. I have already purchased 3 DF games after becoming a backer and I will be watching any future releases closely. I wouldn't mind if you guys released another adventure game. Come on Tim, you know you still got it!

... Are you sure?

areyou1.PNG

areyou2.PNG

areyou3.PNG

areyou4.PNG

areyou5.PNG

areyou6.PNG

areyou7.PNG

haha just the ususal workday outfits, no?

Tell me, how do you go to work? ;D

I find especially Shays Outfit quite compareable boring and not standing out at all ... maybe only by it's ordinariness ^^ ( i like it tho ^^)

But even there Alex has the similar outfit as Shay and his dad isn't dressed to impress at all aswell ^^

Haha i was aswell surprised by that comment of Clord ^^ But great picuture selection ^^ haha especially this mum pic, just a meme to that comment haha

I only have one complaint, which is not being able to bypass dialogue lines (only the whole dialogue can be bypassed with space on the PC version). I use it quite often if I want to remember a particular piece of information from a repeating dialogue and I found it a bit annoying having to run the whole dialogue again.

Are you sure? Pressing SPACE is only to skip cutscene-type sequences. But you can skip through lines of dialogue. It's been several days since I played it, but I'm pretty sure it was just by clicking one of the mouse buttons. Don't know how it would work on non-PC platforms, though.

Sign in to follow this