Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nulian

Hint needed for rope untieing puzzle

Can someone give me any hint how to solve the rope untieing puzzle.

Don't wanna have the all out sollution just something to help me further.

currently I got the diagram but I can't seem to the right one and how to tell it to the dude how to untie.

The trick is to paying close attention to how the knot looks, the reason I kept getting it wrong was because I wasn't describing it well enough.

Seems to be bugged. I give the proper description,get the instructions,get back to the cloud,and when it comes time to walk F'ther through the untying,it gives me ALL the wrong instructions.

For example,I have 1. that looks like a finger pointing down which I'm guessing is "pull the finger". However none of the instructions say anything about fingers or hands. And it's like that every time. I mean,if I had the wrong instructions,it'd just fail me for picking the "right" one but there is no right one. They all describe something that looks nothing like the drawing.

So,yeah,bugged.

You might not have the right instructions then? The first one for me looked like a flowers and one of the options was "she loves me, she loves me not", the rest were just as obvious?

Like I said,I'm not getting the proper directions that match the diagram. I've run across the flower one too and none of the options were "she loves me,she loves me not". Some times I don't even get the right knot description to give to Carol. It's bugged.

Can you get a screenshot of the knots that you're having trouble with and the corresponding conversation options for describing them to Car'l? Some of the descriptions for the knots take a bit of imagination to work out (just like the instructions once you get them).

Pic 1: The knot.

Pic 2: Dialogue options with Carol,highlighting the one I think is correct. I'm fairly certain the bug didn't show up in her dialogue this time.

Pic 3: The picture and dialogue options when I get to F'Ther.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic1.jpg.5fbf938af6c076a6dd81d3f95a54a10

pic2.jpg.89707158b1304f26f0fbddc97bcdd86

pic3.jpg.5dd26b0c275b91cbc05489c429f87ee

The highlighted option for Carol is definitely correct.

I think the first step for F'th'r is the flies wings one, the second is unravel the sweater, and the third isn't listed there (the dialogue options change each time, so the correct one should have appeared). Do you recall which options you chose?

Ok,I figured out how to fix the bug.

Fail the attempt with the directions and take note of the new knot configuration. Use the "be right back with new directions" option and you'll be instantly moved to Carol. Tell her the knot and go back. The right answer should now appear.

I think what may have caused it was when I burned through the "non-directions directions" when you don't have the step by step guide several times cause I didn't know if it was a progression puzzle or not. That is,if you were supposed to tell him the vague directions and see if the knot got looser or tighter. And then clicked the dialogue option several times in frustration as one is wont to do. That may have been what messed up the code.

Anywho,now you has fix and an idea of what might have broke it. You're welcome.

Seems to be bugged. I give the proper description,get the instructions,get back to the cloud,and when it comes time to walk F'ther through the untying,it gives me ALL the wrong instructions.

For example,I have 1. that looks like a finger pointing down which I'm guessing is "pull the finger". However none of the instructions say anything about fingers or hands. And it's like that every time. I mean,if I had the wrong instructions,it'd just fail me for picking the "right" one but there is no right one. They all describe something that looks nothing like the drawing.

So,yeah,bugged.

This actually means that you got the original knot description wrong. :D

Edit: ah, you did get the knot right, posted before seeing the screenshot. I'll take a look. Every time you mess up the knot, though, it changes to something new. So it's possible your screenshot of the knot became out of date immediately.

There's definitely a bug here. When failing with the knot I always had him pull/wiggle and poke it until it looked like Carol. That's the only one that I was dead certain that I actually could describe, the easy route. =) After that I manually ran to her and said it looked like her. She draw me something but the options in text never match the diagram for the first step, as seen on screenshot.

I'm dead certain that the knot was the Carol looking one and what's what I asked for. Did it five or four times failing. Each time I said that we should give it another try and had him wiggle until it looked like carol again. Once it did I manually ran all the way to her and asked for a new drawing.

I never tried the "hold on and I'll get a new drawing" option until I read this thread. After doing that I got it to work on second attempt. So the bug seems to be related to the manual running to her instead of the instant "get new drawing". Makes sense?

Cheers

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 22.49.56.png

578d00983cf88_ScreenShot2015-04-28at22.4

Definitely a bug. I spent 3 hours messing with it. You HAVE to use het new drawing or it will never give you the correct choices.

Sign in to follow this