Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nz17

Need Help - Vella's Side, BA: Act 2 (Spoilers)

I'm at the last part of the Star Weaver puzzle, but I don't know which constellation to form. I've got the Red Hanger star chart and the hook. Where on the ship do I find the item with the constellation into which the Star Weaver's star chart should be changed? I keep going back and forth across the rooms, but I don't see anything which looks like another star chart, and there are far too many combinations to try to guess the right one through trial and error.

Please help. Thank you.

The clue for this is in Shay's world.

For the solution, select the following text: give Marshal Dune's ocarina to Alex and he will play a tune. This tune is the pattern for returning to the location that the ship had visited previously. Low notes are towards the bottom of the pattern, high notes are at the top.

So it's some kind of code.

Anyone can just give it directly?

So it requires playing the other half of the adventure to progress? That explains my trouble with it.

Nice of them to not give any indication of that whatsoever.

I'll say! The way I played through Act 1 was to play all the way through Shay's half, then all the way through Vella's half. The second time I played through the game (in anticipation of Act 2), I played all the way through Vella's half, then all the way through Shay's half. I was hoping to continue this pattern through Act 2, but I guess I'll have to change my playing habit/preference to accommodate the game's design.

But this does make you wonder: In the context of the story, how in the world would Vella know the code to stitch into the Time Weaver's fabric? The answer is, of course, she wouldn't, and that really breaks the feeling of immersion. I guess she could have just relentlessly tried every combination she could think of until one worked, but then, with all the warnings about sending the ship into a black hole, a void, danger, etc., I don't think a rational person would dare try that. And it would be exhausting to take all the time and back and forth work to eventually get to the right guess.

Thanks for the hints, everyone.

So it's some kind of code.

Anyone can just give it directly?

I'm not certain it's the same between playthroughs. I know that the wiring symbols are scrambled each play through, and I imagine that this might be the same. From my playthroughs, there are only ever five notes, and they're one of three tones.

So it requires playing the other half of the adventure to progress? That explains my trouble with it.

Nice of them to not give any indication of that whatsoever.

I guess that the snake and hexipal wiring puzzles are the first foreshadowing that there's value in looking for clues in both worlds, and it's not possible to get as far as this without solving those (in fact, this may be why you can't get the ocarina until after you've solved the snake puzzle).

But this does make you wonder: In the context of the story, how in the world would Vella know the code to stitch into the Time Weaver's fabric? The answer is, of course, she wouldn't, and that really breaks the feeling of immersion.

The debate about whether the player's awareness should extend beyond the protagonist's awareness has been one that's followed adventure games around for a long time, I think. An interesting angle to think about it from is that the player's broader awareness represents the intuition that other characters talk about and allude to Shay and Vella having. It's probably a stretch, but it's one that resonates with the story ^_^

Sign in to follow this