Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleMoustache

Stuck in Vella's Act 2, Early-ish on (spoilers, obvs)

So I'm inside the ship, have talked to Marek, and have grown my head 2 sizes to fool Mom. However, I can't figure out what the name of Shay's favorite stuffed animal is.

I've clicked on and made notes of everything clickable in the little museum:

Snake stuffed animal, shoe size 7

Sad sack

Shay age 8: fireman drawing, hosing down building full of ghosts

Second place shoe tying contest

First place hugging marathon

Safety award, footwear category

Shoe fairy red striped cool, green with skulls. Wants red with skulls

Best actor: purple boots the musical

Medibot exam report. Healthy development. Growth spurt at 6: 3 shoe sizes, 2 inches. Splarg therapy is working

Safety award, aquatics category

Painting of what looks like a red boot

Shays first space boots, age 5

And I believe it has something to do with the snake stuffed animal, but none of these report any clues, and I kept being kicked back here. Its driving me crazy! Any help?

My brain is broken on this damn shoe thing...

I don't even know if I'm getting the size, color, or design wrong.

Here's what I assume... based on the clues, I'd do that white spoiler text but I'm not great with forums: red or is it green or did she do a thing where she went blue, red, green, red, blue... I don't know!, 3 or 4 are the only two size that make sense, polkadots (or is that no a design on the bronzed or stripes)

HELP!

My brain is broken on this damn shoe thing...

I don't even know if I'm getting the size, color, or design wrong.

Here's what I assume... based on the clues, I'd do that white spoiler text but I'm not great with forums: red or is it green or did she do a thing where she went blue, red, green, red, blue... I don't know!, 3 or 4 are the only two size that make sense, polkadots (or is that no a design on the bronzed or stripes)

HELP!

I hear you on this dude. I can't figure it out.

Remember that he got a new pair of shoes every year, and each year they had a different color and pattern.

Closer hint #1 A chart will help you a bunch here. Go oldschool adventure game and write it out with pencil and paper

Closer hint #2 Start mapping out what you DO know.

Spoiler safe:

1. The pattern and color are quite easy if you map each to an age considering the fact that MOM never repeated a combination ever. Also try to connect the teeth in the glass to some other hint available in that room, so you can map that hint to an age.

2. Once you got that, you can use the medical info to get the size right. The chart that she puts up is misleading in the sense that you could map a size to each age, but from what I could gather you're only able to deduce two size-age-relations from the given clues.

So I'm inside the ship, have talked to Marek, and have grown my head 2 sizes to fool Mom. However, I can't figure out what the name of Shay's favorite stuffed animal is.

Oh man, I'm stuck at the EXACT same place, so THANK YOU for asking this question. I've read the hints people have given in this thread and will go back for another try. I see from other posts that shoe sizes will also come into play....I was noticing those and I wondered if anything was going to be made of them.

PatTheMav, THANK YOU for that first hint. That got me the final piece of info I needed with the shoe puzzle. Onward!

I don't even know how to grow your head 2 sizes. I was trying to do the same thing Shay had to do in Act 1, by going through more than one teleporter, but if I go into the other one, my head goes back to its original size.

I don't even know how to grow your head 2 sizes. I was trying to do the same thing Shay had to do in Act 1, by going through more than one teleporter, but if I go into the other one, my head goes back to its original size.

Consider the direction in which you're going! Where you started, and where you end up, and how that affects you.

Consider the direction in which you're going! Where you started, and where you end up, and how that affects you.

(With still normal head size) I can only enter it from the starboard side, every other entry already says you've already been through (the museum with Shay's stuff) or nuh-uh-uh (the two active doors in the nexus). Once I'm through the only teleporter that works, Vella's head will grow one size. Every other entry will then return the size to normal, Vella says "Ah there's my normal size again".

(With still normal head size) I can only enter it from the starboard side, every other entry already says you've already been through (the museum with Shay's stuff) or nuh-uh-uh (the two active doors in the nexus). Once I'm through the only teleporter that works, Vella's head will grow one size. Every other entry will then return the size to normal, Vella says "Ah there's my normal size again".

Hmm to be honest this part was a bit finicky for me as well, I'll put down how I did it in white text below.

1. I was pretty sure going from the Nexus to anywhere else reduces the size, and going from anywhere else to the Nexus increases the size.

1.5. Each of the teleporters are separate characters (so the 3 teleporters you can see in the nexus are three different characters), and each of those characters only let you increase your head size by 1 before they stop you with the "Nuh-uh"

2. I started in the museum with a clean slate/normal head, went through the teleporter to the nexus, then left the room via the door to the left, went to the teleporter next to the trash chute and ported back to the Nexus.

EDIT: added 1.5

Thank you, it's working now. I went through the one next to the trash chute twice. I don't know why I never tried that before.

Sign in to follow this