Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dsc106

First Impressions after about 1-1.5 hours

*THIS* is it. Totally feels like a classic adventure already, in a way that Act I didn't. I say that having liked Act I, but already in the first bit of gameplay I love Act 2 and it just "feels" right in a subtle way that sets it apart.

The game starts off being more open, with more screens and characters - and while I realize this is the nature of things given the point along the story it is, I couldn't help but feel that Act I was a little too on rails/guided and scripted out for the first bit (i.e. it just felt like Sugar Bunting was a town that wanted to have its own set piece to be explored a little, but was cut for budgetary reasons). Whereas here there is a feeling of openness.

The puzzles are immediately feeling to have something of sustance which is SO nice. I was so relieved that (possible mini-spoiler) Carol didn't just hand over the wire (I feel like this would have been typical of Act I) but is requiring me to prove things. The opening bit with Vella didn't get me stumped, but it actually engaged me and required me to figure some stuff out before just progressing. Yes, yes, and yes. Looking forward to what is in store, this is great so far.

Also, the writing and characters are bang on. I've laughed more times already than I did before, and I definitely thought the first Act was clever. It's just very amusing to see the characters worlds switched and I'm just impressed with how smart the story and writing is. I'm still trying to figure out how this will all fit together - parallel worlds? Clones? Time travel? I've got a bunch of theory, but its rare for a game to definitely keep me guessing and intrigued, and I appreciate the themes and deeper meanings that I can see/guess at arising.

All in all, first impressions are very positive - better than Act I, and now just wishing this wouldn't be the last Tim point'n'click adventure that we're likely to see for a while. Definitely going to be enjoying this ride while it lasts!

Thanks DF and Tim! Great work so far, really excited to keep playing!

And at that... back to it :)

I am looking forward to playing act 2. At the moment I replay from the beginning. This time I noticed a deeper meaning the game implies.o.O Broken Age really is the right title for this game.

you are absolutely right! for me Act 1 felt like Monkey Island 3 on normal mode and Act 2 was more like Mega monkey mode where you had to make more connections and it wasn't as easy to receive certain objects that you needed to advance. act 2 was just awesome. fixed everything act 1 was missing

People know me by now, I wasn't particularly distraught by the easy puzzles in Act 1 - I thought they were a little too easy and not helped by too many dialogue clues, but I thought the rest made up for it. Still, I was constantly surprised and delighted in Act 2 when not only did the first thing I try regularly not work, but when I figured out what would work, there were usually 2 or 3 steps to getting things just right. I might start a thread to talk about favourite puzzles.

Sign in to follow this