Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ari54x

Colourblindness and the wiring puzzle

Trying to be non-specific here so I can avoid spoiler tags...

Just a small request- it took me a long time to work out the finale independent of the puzzle, because I worked out Vella's side, but had difficulty reading the final wiring pattern needed for Shay's side of that puzzle, as it's presented differently, and it took me several times staring at the image to work out that there was a flash of washed out blue colour in one area. (After I noticed that, I could then see the red and green, but my colourblindness to those two made them very difficult to distinguish from the background until I knew they should be there, when it would probably have been reasonably obvious to someone with typical colour vision)

Would it be possible if there's a patch at some point to provide a symbol pattern somewhere as well for the final solution for the wiring puzzle as a backup? It needn't be as easy to find as the actual way the pattern is currently presented now, but it would be a nice usability thing, as the symbol patterns don't have any colourblindness issues due to being ordered top to bottom as well. Pairing the colour with a symbol or an ordering makes it workable for those of us who confuse things. :)

On the general feedback front, I really enjoyed Act 2 once I refreshed my memory on how the teleporters worked, it was worth the wait, thanks! :D I found a couple of solutions accidentally, but once I got the ball rolling things started to fall into place a lot more. I totally kicked myself when I realised I had been staring at a hint to one of Shay's puzzles in Vella's part of the act without realising it, really good stuff!

Hi there. I can say that the colors were chosen with color blindness in mind. Whether any of the art is changing at this point, it would have to be discussed.

As Bert mentioned, we did make an effort to account for color blindness, but I can see how it would be difficult to pick up on the color in the scorched version. It's possible we may be able to fix it. Thank you for bringing it up!

I hope at least the wires were clear?

As Bert mentioned, we did make an effort to account for color blindness, but I can see how it would be difficult to pick up on the color in the scorched version. It's possible we may be able to fix it. Thank you for bringing it up!

The wires puzzles are by and large very clear due to the symbol clues, they provided excellent redundancy for colourblindess, everything except that one clue was perfect, and you'd probably need to have achromatopsia to have too much trouble telling the wires apart, and I'm not sure people with that type of colourblindess would be able to play a 2d adventure game at all given they essentially see in shades of grey.

Thanks for your hard work!

Uh oh. Red/green colorblind me worries a little about my impending playthrough now. For example, the color mixing puzzle at the end of Lilly Looking Through was *impossible* for me. I had to watch a Let's Play and count audible clicks in order to finish that one...

I'll report back if I have problems. It might be a few weeks though.

hats off to DF for thinking about it! thats amazing! I was worried when color seemed to become a part of the puzzles but I got through fine (albeit I only have a mild color blindness). But I never really thought about what measures you took to design around it.

thanks for your kindness anna, bert and all of DF!

Waaaaaaait, there was something other than the wires that were coloured? I have minor red-green deficiencies and didn't spot that (which I think probably made the puzzles more enjoyable for me).

Sign in to follow this