Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Did You Take Notes, Scribble Clues or Draw Diagrams While Playing? Share them here!

My little scribbles:

6yzLnGrl.jpg

Also I was looking for triangular hints all around in the spaceship to make the hexipal working. Took me a while before I found them :>

I'm soooo happy I wasn't the only one doing that. It made the - in the end quite simple - puzzle unnecessary difficult and time-consuming. From your notes I could tell you were also intruiged by the locations underneath ;).

seCkchOl.jpgTZVJO0kl.jpg

Curse you hallways! And myself for not listening to the small voice of reason in my head saying 'now why would some randomly coloured stuff in hallways say anything about the wiring of hexipals?'

Btw it's funny to see almost everyone only made notes for the shoe-puzzle and the rewiring. I feel bad for the people who made all those notes about the knots, especially you geekdragon. I really respect your perseverance and determination! And chart skills ;)

I thought FOR SURE that a particular chain of knots and actions were the key. I spent 45 minutes trying to make a chart of the knot permutations and which options lead to other knots -- purposely trying new options each time to fill out the chart, and taking way too long to realize the results were random.

Fun to see how everyone has a different approach to taking notes. I love how Bjarne Ubetjent has mapped out every room. Now that's some old school note taking!

Here's the mess I made. I had some trouble figuring out the colour of the space boots, so I ended up making a chart. I thought the puzzle design was absolutely stellar, by the way. Solving the puzzles felt like cracking open the game layer by layer and with all the subtle and clever hints in the dialogue, I didn't even need to use a walkthrough.

Broken Age_Scribbles.jpg

578d009964bd6_BrokenAge_Scribbles.jpg.35

My little scribbles:
Also I was looking for triangular hints all around in the spaceship to make the hexipal working. Took me a while before I found them :>

I'm soooo happy I wasn't the only one doing that. It made the - in the end quite simple - puzzle unnecessary difficult and time-consuming. From your notes I could tell you were also intruiged by the locations underneath ;).

Curse you hallways! And myself for not listening to the small voice of reason in my head saying 'now why would some randomly coloured stuff in hallways say anything about the wiring of hexipals?'

I wondered about that, too. They might still be something! No one has yet figured out if there are any clues for the "Eh, Eh eh, eh eh, eh eh" secret achievement! (But the symbols have been found).

I even had to do some little math... this is the first time I had to do this since 20 years!

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg.3f2a92d3ae97b23698df5670859

IMG_1158.jpg.98ab9dfc906779c85195dffb18e

I really don't understand this wire puzzle >_< it's really halting the flow of the game and I don't like that. It seems like some of the puzzles were a little too unintuitive and it is realy hurting the flow for me :(

Replayed the game, and did a new set of notes, this time using MS Paint (hey, it does hexagons! with the right orientation too!). Spoilers for hidden Achievements!

tumblr_inline_nnwp8qkC9d1sqiope_540.png

this time using MS Paint (hey, it does hexagons! with the right orientation too!).

*gasp!*

If only I had realized!!!

Hmm, having looked at EMarley's notes for the Eh Eh Eh achievement, I wonder if this was a clue

ut5trvr.jpg

It's one of those trinkets in Alex's room control room when Vella first enters it. There are 3 of them, and their top part seems to resemble an "E"

Hmm, having looked at EMarley's notes for the Eh Eh Eh achievement, I wonder if this was a clue

ut5trvr.jpg

It's one of those trinkets in Alex's room control room when Vella first enters it. There are 3 of them, and their top part seems to resemble an "E"

It's kinda hexigonal and all, but where do you see any clues for the symbol pairs in there? That's the important part.

It's kinda hexigonal and all, but where do you see any clues for the symbol pairs in there? That's the important part.

ut5trvr.jpg

aBWA3o4.jpg

I have no idea if wiring the Hexipal up like that would make Shay or Vella comment on it or not. If they did then it'd be a cue to keep trying it using different corners as starting points, etc.

Honestly though, this is most likely just me forcing the solution onto a random piece of art. Just thought I'd throw it out there :P

I have no idea if wiring the Hexipal up like that would make Shay or Vella comment on it or not. If they did then it'd be a cue to keep trying it using different corners as starting points, etc.

Honestly though, this is most likely just me forcing the solution onto a random piece of art. Just thought I'd throw it out there :P

No, AnAnemoneInAnonymity is right, there are no other wiring puzzles that use the actual geometry. I first thought the safety pattern would be an exception (which intrigued me, because mixing absolute geometry and randomized corner-based patterns, one would have to make sure no duplicates can occur) because it used the visual background but looking at some else's playthrough, their pattern looked completely different from what I saw

... which is kinda cool in its own right.

Thank you Tim and Team for this beautiful game. It was totally worth all the wait. The 2 days of playing (which i included in my family life) felt very magical. Like back in the old times.

Story and Vision of the game are very special and a true piece of art. The artwork and music fit in perfectly.

Thank you!!!

+++Pikomi

PS. Also thanks for bringing Grim Fandango to the iPad.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg.4d68a6fabcca1f610279c

Replayed the game, and did a new set of notes, this time using MS Paint (hey, it does hexagons! with the right orientation too!). Spoilers for hidden Achievements!

How did you find that Eh Eh Eh -one? My math says there are 21840 (6*5*[6*5-2]*[6*5-4]) different possible wiring patterns, only 5? out of all of them does something and I have found patterns only for 4 of those. Is there some hints to it? Lucky guess? Bruteforce?

Like with the Harp and Electrics symbol patterns, the symbol pattern for Eh Eh Eh is always the same and what changes is what corner of the hexagon each symbol corresponds to. I used a guide to see what was the symbol pattern for Eh Eh Eh, which I attached to this post.

I guess the clue is in how in the Dancing pattern the three wires come out of one point and Eh Eh Eh being a type of dance does the same.

broken age eh eh eh pattern.jpg

578d0099b9481_brokenageehehehpattern.jpg

No, AnAnemoneInAnonymity is right, there are no other wiring puzzles that use the actual geometry. I first thought the safety pattern would be an exception (which intrigued me, because mixing absolute geometry and randomized corner-based patterns, one would have to make sure no duplicates can occur) because it used the visual background but looking at some else's playthrough, their pattern looked completely different from what I saw

... which is kinda cool in its own right.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting it. Double Fine couldn't have drawn the exact solution and placed it in the background, because the assignment of the symbols to the hexigon's vertices is randomized for every playthrough (and every player). So even if the symbol pairs are the same for everyone, the actual drawn lines are always going to look a little bit different. Therefore, the clue you would need would be the symbol pairs, not a picture of the hexigon with the lines already drawn.

I'm not sure if the symbols are lilterally randomized for each person though.... possibly they are just rotated, based on some of the notes I've seen.

How did you find that Eh Eh Eh -one? My math says there are 21840 (6*5*[6*5-2]*[6*5-4]) different possible wiring patterns, only 5? out of all of them does something and I have found patterns only for 4 of those. Is there some hints to it? Lucky guess? Bruteforce?

My source for getting this achievement said he took one of the other solutions (e.g. dance, safety, etc) and then just started rotating it once clockwise. After a several rotations, he got the result. He may have just got really lucky, though, because if the assignment of symbols to vertices IS random, then probably that wouldn't work for everyone.

I'm not sure if the symbols are lilterally randomized for each person though.... possibly they are just rotated, based on some of the notes I've seen.

No, I considered that it's just rotated and mirrored because that would make the graphical indication of the safety pattern easier but comparing the notes in this thread and also the video I linked to with my own playthrough, it became clear that this is not the case. I don't know if all permutations are possible but there doesn't seem to be an easy pattern to generate the variations.

My math says there are 21840 (6*5*[6*5-2]*[6*5-4]) different possible wiring patterns

I'd argue it's more like 24,360 patterns. IIRC, while you can't wire the same edge in the same direction, you can have parallel wires in opposite directions. So you only lose 1 possible edge in every step, not 2. I might be missing something here though.

Also, the difference is admittedly not huge but if someone was really bruteforcing their way through those patterns, just doing 2520 more is probably quite a chore ;)

My math says there are 21840 (6*5*[6*5-2]*[6*5-4]) different possible wiring patterns

I'd argue it's more like 24,360 patterns. IIRC, while you can't wire the same edge in the same direction, you can have parallel wires in opposite directions. So you only lose 1 possible edge in every step, not 2. I might be missing something here though.

Also, the difference is admittedly not huge but if someone was really bruteforcing their way through those patterns, just doing 2520 more is probably quite a chore ;)

You might be right, I never bothered to try cross-wiring two corners... Still would like to know if there is some logic/hints behind all this Eh Eh Eh -thing to be found other than just luckily brute forcing already known patterns.

You might be right, I never bothered to try cross-wiring two corners... Still would like to know if there is some logic/hints behind all this Eh Eh Eh -thing to be found other than just luckily brute forcing already known patterns.

I've tried looking around the game environments to see if the hexipal shapes show up anywhere else. There are a lot of triangle shapes around the Bossa Nostra, and more than one person has speculated that maybe these somehow point to the secret symbol set. But at the same time, these shapes don't appear to add up to anything.

I've also considered the possibility that maybe there is some kind of Psychonauts crossover type hint. I even spent a few minutes looking at the old Psychonauts ability menu to see if maybe the location/colors of the badges in the menu somehow corresponded to one of the symbols or something.

http://www.wurb.com/stack/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/psychonauts-menu.png

Although that was a very fun idea, I don't think it has any purchase. ;-)

Just wanted to say many, many thanks for the info. I was bashing my head on the puzzle with the drums for ages. I must have missed the cue for the puzzle.

BrokenAgeNotes_zpsi8asdain.jpg

In the top left I started my own system to keep track of the boots clues but if you fail twice (which I did the second time because I got the size wrong) the game teleports you back to the hint room and Vella draws a chart, so I copied that. The bottom left half was me scribbling for a while trying to figure out how to represent the weave shape on a grid.

Initially for the bot wiring I was only recording the shapes until I realized that on Vella's side I had no way to check the shapes so I shoved little wire diagrams in where I could. I guess I could have went and found my color pen but instead I wrote the first letter of the color and a little arrow.

view?usp=sharing

Initially had the directions flipped. Great puzzles, could have built whole mobile games around many of them.

Looks like the forums don't like Google Drive images shared that way :(

Had a blast going through this thread!

Unfortunately I didn't keep my notes to share. The knot puzzle was the one I had the most trouble "documenting"! Some people did a pretty good job on this one though! I'm jealous :P

I just finished Broken Age, and it's 3:30AM local time! Mostly due to Broken Age! Okay, partly because we have a new baby, about the same age as Brad and Cate's. So our days and nights kind of mesh together. :D

I replayed Act 1 as suggested by multiple DFers, and was glad I did. I picked up on lots of clues that I had forgotten. Without further ado, I present my notes:

SgZpwOh.jpg

I ran out of space, and opted to write over my boots logic. I also can't draw hexagons for crap.

I didn't quite understand why Vella got a hook, or needed one for quite some time. Maybe I missed some explanatory dialog?

A friend of mine is playing Broken Age through with her 8 year old, and letting him do the controls. I was just a little further in the game than they were this weekend, so hints were asked for and received. My wife looked at us funny when we kept talking about the right size of Cloud Shoes. Meh!

Sign in to follow this