Sign in to follow this  
Asif Siddiky

SideQuest: "Just Take It Seriously"

For anyone that may have missed it in the most recent update, we've got another SideQuest up with Double Fine's VP of Development, Matt Hansen. Some good words of wisdom for anyone looking to turn their passion for games into a career.

[vimeo]126288319[/vimeo]

I knew Matt worked on Puzzle Agent, but I didn't know he worked on Strongbad! Now he's even cooler than before!

Thanks for helping Double Fine be great, Matt!

Cripes, what a quietly moving, brave and decent guy. Very glad I watched this. <3

I was glad I got to hang with Matt for a while when I visited the studio a couple of years ago. He was great. He sat and talked with me, made me feel extremely welcome, and just when I thought the night was over, and I was about to leave, he yanked me into Tim's office where I got to hang out with the two of them for a while. Very cool guy.

He really does seem like the nicest, calmest dude. Like the kind of guy where, if an asteroid was about to crash into the earth and kill us all, you could look over at Matt Hansen and he'd be all like, "It's cool, guys. Let's just take it easy and watch The Simpsons for a while. Are you thirsty?"

But also kinda has balls, what with the story of him marching into that publisher's office. But apparently in a super nice / non-aggressive way, though?

If Matt Hansen were Super Mario, he would march right into Bowser's keep, kick the door down, stare King Bowser right in the face and say... "Let's talk."

I really admire your balance between fan warmth and professional take on things.

Truly a cool sidequest. Matt's story is intriguing and one full of everything. I'm glad he shared it and 2pp got a great interview from him for it.

That was one fantastic sidequest. Thanks for sharing your experiences, they will resonate for a very long time.

So amazing. Definitely an important and inspiring story to share. Super proud of you!

One of my favorite sidequests. It's rare to see such an amazing balance of tenacity (to borrow Matt's word for it) and humility. Matt seems like a cool dude!

A great sidequest. Thanks for doing this, Matt.

I feel tears and inspiration. I hope one day I'll be able to have such an inspiring story as yours Matt. Thank you.

Is this Sidequest going to VHX? I don't see it in there...

Is this Sidequest going to VHX? I don't see it in there...

VHX is missing other sidequests as well. (And Humble is missing Episode 19, but that's a different issue.)

Just wondering, since EP 1-19 of the documentary has been added to our humble bundle page (depending on tier), will the sidequests be added as downloads as well?

I've been catching up on these documentary episodes, and normally I watch them through the backer page which means that I don't see the forum comments, but I had to come here to comment on this one. This had to be one of the strongest sidequests you guys have made. Props to Matt for doing this - a very brave and honest interview. His approach and very personal motivation in his work is eerily close to my experiences, so this episode really hit home to me. I'm in a different field entirely, but I've been trying to move to a more creative field as well. This episode was particularly inspirational for me, and it's given me a lot to think about.

So, thanks Matt and 2P Productions for this. I won't go entirely into why I identify with Matt's story so much, but rest assured that this video meant a lot to me.

Oh, and Matt, you should know that you worked on some of my favorite games in recent years. Puzzle Agent, Tales of Monkey Island, the Cave, Grim Remastered and Broken Age all rank up there for me. Can't wait to see your work on DoTT.

I'm not sure if anyone still checks this thread because it's a bit older by internet standards, but I felt that I just had to say something about this one.

I've been catching up on these documentary episodes, and normally I watch them through the backer page which means that I don't see the forum comments, but I had to come here to comment on this one. This had to be one of the strongest sidequests you guys have made. Props to Matt for doing this - a very brave and honest interview. His approach and very personal motivation in his work is eerily close to my experiences, so this episode really hit home to me. I'm in a different field entirely, but I've been trying to move to a more creative field as well. This episode was particularly inspirational for me, and it's given me a lot to think about.

So, thanks Matt and 2P Productions for this. I won't go entirely into why I identify with Matt's story so much, but rest assured that this video meant a lot to me.

Oh, and Matt, you should know that you worked on some of my favorite games in recent years. Puzzle Agent, Tales of Monkey Island, the Cave, Grim Remastered and Broken Age all rank up there for me. Can't wait to see your work on DoTT.

I'm not sure if anyone still checks this thread because it's a bit older by internet standards, but I felt that I just had to say something about this one.

It means a lot to me that my story connected with you. I was pretty apprehensive to tell that part of my story, but just hearing that it had a positive impact on you make it feel like the right decision.

It means a lot to me that my story connected with you. I was pretty apprehensive to tell that part of my story, but just hearing that it had a positive impact on you make it feel like the right decision.

Like I said, it was brave of you to open up on camera like that, and it really put some things I'm trying to achieve in my own professional life into perspective. Thanks again for doing this.

It's unlikely we'll ever meet as I live in Europe, but if we do happen to run into each other I'll buy you a beer.

I also enjoyed this Sidequest a lot! Frank and courageous.

@Matt Hansen: Thinking one doesn't belong, or that one is a fraud, or that everyone else is more accomplished, is a very common phenomenon. Read up on Impostor Syndrome on Wikipedia. Quote: "Psychological research done in the early 1980s estimated that two out of five successful people consider themselves frauds and other studies have found that 70 percent of all people feel like impostors at one time or another."

Matt's devotion is truly inspiring! Thanks for the sidequest, this was definitely one of the top episodes.

Matt, and 2PP guys!

What a beautiful sidequest this was... Matt, I absolutely adored Puzzle Agent.. and I'm so glad to hear that Twin Peaks was an inspiration for it - because then I don't feel silly for thinking that as well! The Cave... also brilliant. When I got to the part of the "navigation device" for the missile, I literally fell off my chair laughing.

You seem like a very good and talented guy, and it was truly touching to hear you talk about your brother in the way you did. Kudos to 2PP for such a well structured interview. Not only do you know how to masterfully edit your documentary, but you also know how to ask the hard questions (without being abrasive). Strong interview technique makes for the best interviews, obviously.

<3 to Matt Hansen and 2PP

From Norway :)

Sign in to follow this