Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

What shall we do with these boards?

Hi there,

With the game finished, and the documentary wrapping up soon-ish, these private backer forums aren't really necessary any more.

We have a few options open to us with what to do with them, but before i do anything I thought I'd ask you what you all thought..

we could:

- make them a read only archive

- make them public / merge them with the public broken age boards

- leave them alone

- something else maybe?

My issue with leaving them here is that the conversation is divided between backers and non backers, and that seems a bit unnecessary now the game is out!

but let me know what you think :)

I vote for making them public or merging them with the public boards (including the currently backers-exclusive blog posts from the team members on various aspects of the game)! We've got a ton of good stuff here that's been exclusive to backers for 3 friggin' years. I think all of these knowledge would be super helpful for game devs everywhere! No use just letting it all sit here, right?

EDIT: (17/7) after many months I still believe it would be awesome for these forums to go public, but perhaps as an archive/read-only instead of a complete merge with the public ones!

I say merge all the discussions/feedback/general boards so that backers and non-backers are now in the same place.

However, I think the posts from Double Fine staff and 2PP related to the project should be archived in its own read-only area, but also publicly available.

Thanks!

I vote for making them public or merging them with the public boards (including the currently backers-exclusive blog posts from the team members on various aspects of the game)! We've got a ton of good stuff here that's been exclusive to backers for 3 friggin' years. I think all of these knowledge would be super helpful for game devs everywhere! No use just letting it all sit here, right?

Exactly what I'm thinking. Merging it with the public forums seems the best solution.

I would kind of prefer them to be a public, read only archive. Keeps the context in which the posts were originally made.

Public, but I don't think it should be read-only.

I do however think all of the team posts should be put into a downloadable PDF, that'd be nice.

Making all the backer only boards public and merging where it makes sense seems like the most reasonable choice.

Making them public and/or read only with a new board for open release discussion seems like a good idea.

I would love to see a more in depth discussion on the documentary about how the board influenced the process as it is a huge part of crowd-funding.

Thanks for the board and the feedback and discussion from the REDS and 2PP teams.

And thanks to all the great threads from the backers :)

I like the official posts read only, others left open, merge all with public forums solution.

I'm kind of against releasing all this to the public right away, but I like the read-only archive idea (and maybe opt it out of search indexing)-- I'd just wait another year or two or 5. I think a change in assumed privacy from 'somewhat exclusive' to 'free-for-all internetz' for 35k posts by 1000s of people might require more than an obscure notice in the forum, if this is happening soon.

"DFA: From Double Fine and 2 Player" is another story, that official stuff can be released anytime.

I like the official posts read only, others left open, merge all with public forums solution.
This sounds like the best option to me as well.

If possible, I would like to see these merged with the ordinary boards, but with the topic set with "Backer Forum" prefix. Don't expect it to be possible, but it would be nice.

I would prefer a public read only archive. "This belongs in a Museum!"

Edit: Also this:

Keeps the context in which the posts were originally made.

Read only archive. Merging would only give people a headache if they wanted to search for an old post.

What I just realized in the problem with merging the forums is that all the backer stuff that was meant to be able "backer" stuff will be become completely available.

Essentially on this case I'm speaking of the Sidequests which are being sold as an extra addition, so once that's merged. So I think the "From Double Fine" section should just be read only, but still a hidden section. I don't know what headaches that would cause for the database though... so I guess I'm not being helpful.

Just looking out for 2PP here in terms of the Sidequests stuff.

Read only archive, I guess. Merging is confusing and, as said above, loses the context of the original posts. As for a public or private read only, I'd recommend just leaving it private.

The other Kickstarters I've backed seem to have just left their backer forums open, by the way, but that's just anecdotal, and I do get why Double Fine wants to have Act 2 discussion happening in the public forum.

I think the backer updates posted here should be preserved cause the only other place they are is kickstarter. Merge or preserve read only I guess are fine either way.

I vote no to any kind of merging. I am not opposed to making the backer discussion forums public, but perhaps make them read-only. I'm torn whether to make the From Double Fine forum public, as I don't think the Sidequests should be open if they're still being sold.

This sounds like the best option to me as well.
And my axe!

...I need to stop playing Lego Lord of the Rings. But yeah, merging sounds like the best option.

Backers only, read only. Never heard of a backer/beta forum going public.

Backers only, read only. Never heard of a backer/beta forum going public.

Development is over, the program is over, the documentary is (almost) over, and backers have gotten paid for; why keep it locked up after completion of the campaign?

I don't mind if the forums go public but they should be read only for non backers.

Public.

I am super happy with what I have been given as a backer. I don't see any extra value for me in keeping these forums private. Invite everyone I say! :-D

I also say make them public. Why not make them more inclusive to non-backers? I see no downside.

My opinion is also to make it public. And perhaps not read-only? Maybe the non-backers want to comment? There's potential for interesting discussions. :)

I am all for making the forum public and letting people from outside read and contribute too!

Sign in to follow this