Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

What shall we do with these boards?

Don't think it really matters at all. Only DF fans will ever be interested in coming here, and vast majority of them backed the project.

So yeah, make it public, won't hurt anyone, probably will bring like 10 new members or even 11. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Readonly biz feels somewhat shifty, there was often a sort of distortion field going on around here, where everything was overly positive and anything critical, even thoughtful critical posts were immediately deemed as trolling - and now this state would freeze for all to see without any chance to set things straight.. But whatevs, again its not like anyone would want to specifically come here and work against the tide.

-----

There is just 1 request - please leave one small part of the forum for us, that will be only ours for years to come.

It won't be popular, and there is no actual NEED for it, but it also won't take any sort of resources from you, and I think it would be a nice touch and a small sign of respect towards backers, that would go a long way.

Readonly biz feels somewhat shifty, there was often a sort of distortion field going on around here, where everything was overly positive and anything critical, even thoughtful critical posts were immediately deemed as trolling - and now this state would freeze for all to see without any chance to set things straight.. But whatevs, again its not like anyone would want to specifically come here and work against the tide.

Pretty sure I just saw you accuse 2Player of ruining the last episode because when they first posted it yesterday it wasn't on Vimeo. I think that our impressions of what constitutes thoughtful critical posts are not in tune with each other.

Public, Read Only, No Merge -- to preserve the archival, documentary spirit of the project! To let the legacy of the project be remembered the way it was, protected from any retroactive reorganizing of that history.

I'm normally all for making things public, but I disagree that these forums should be public. The posts in these forums may have been written by backers with an expectation of (partial) privacy. Even if most backers are okay with it, there are far too many backer comments to have us all opt-in.

I'm fine with an archive. I don't really see the point of keeping them open for the public when there's plenty of other places to talk about things now that the game's out.

Yes make them public doesn't make sense to keep private. Read only seems silly if there is more to discuss on a topic. They should all be merged together. It would be cool if they could be tagged in some way as original backer form post.

Brett

I like the official posts read only, others left open, merge all with public forums solution.
This sounds like the best option to me as well.

Pretty sure I just saw you accuse 2Player of ruining the last episode because when they first posted it yesterday it wasn't on Vimeo. I think that our impressions of what constitutes thoughtful critical posts are not in tune with each other.

Yup, what you did there is exactly what I'm talking about.

Twisting words and ganging up on anyone pointing out obvious flaws, attacking them personally instead of responding to arguments. If anyone doesn't like anything, regardless how grounded the position might be (and I provided rock solid proof) - it is always pointed out that it is THEIR problem, and there's something WRONG with them.

You of course know, that the point wasn't in Vimeo itself, but with needless degradation of quality of final episode, compared to others, and unnecessary ad in the beginning. Yet you choose to ignore that, to artificially diminish my position, and you ignored the fact, that if it wasn't for my posts - every slacker backer would only get public blurry version of final episode, as if they weren't backers at all.

But don't worry. I am quite content with how it played out to everyone's benefit, and don't feel any need to return here in near future. So you can have all the last words you want, further twisting my position to seem more "right".

I think it would be interesting for people to see the backer threads, so I'm all for them going public. I think if they were to be read-only, that should apply for everyone - it wouldn't be good for community spirit to let everyone read but only backers post imo. I like that idea because they would go side by side with the documentary: a view of the backer community as part of the entire Broken Age process. The only downside to this would be that certain conversations couldn't be directly continued, but frankly these forums tend to have about ten threads per topic anyway so I don't think that would be a big issue.

So I say, public archived (ie no new posts or edits) for everyone!

(If you went for public with new posts enabled, would it be possible to automatically post in each thread marking the time they went public so at least the history of it is clear?)

Twisting words and ganging up on anyone pointing out obvious flaws, attacking them personally instead of responding to arguments. If anyone doesn't like anything, regardless how grounded the position might be (and I provided rock solid proof) - it is always pointed out that it is THEIR problem, and there's something WRONG with them.

You of course know, that the point wasn't in Vimeo itself, but with needless degradation of quality of final episode, compared to others, and unnecessary ad in the beginning. Yet you choose to ignore that, to artificially diminish my position, and you ignored the fact, that if it wasn't for my posts - every slacker backer would only get public blurry version of final episode, as if they weren't backers at all.

But don't worry. I am quite content with how it played out to everyone's benefit, and don't feel any need to return here in near future. So you can have all the last words you want, further twisting my position to seem more "right".

I'm all for civil disagreements, but come on. I did none of the things that you just accused me of. You literally, and I do mean literally, told them that they ruined the last episode. And I don't understand how saying that we have different views of what thoughtful criticism entails could possibly be construed as a personal attack. I didn't call you names, or say that you are not a good person, or whatever. I insinuated that you're a bit nit-picky maybe, and overly negative about the nit-pickiness, but that is not a personal attack. I don't hate you. I just think you could dial back the rhetoric, and ask for the things you want in a nicer way.

Edit: On second thought, your messiah complex (delivering the non blur to the masses through your efforts and personal struggles) is very annoying, and I think we should stop before we start getting mean, and getting warned. You can have the last word, if you like. I won't respond to it again.

I'm all for civil disagreements, but come on. I did none of the things that you just accused me of. You literally, and I do mean literally, told them that they ruined the last episode. And I don't understand how saying that we have different views of what thoughtful criticism entails could possibly be construed as a personal attack. I didn't call you names, or say that you are not a good person, or whatever. I insinuated that you're a bit nit-picky maybe, and overly negative about the nit-pickiness, but that is not a personal attack. I don't hate you. I just think you could dial back the rhetoric, and ask for the things you want in a nicer way.

Edit: On second thought, your messiah complex (delivering the non blur to the masses through your efforts and personal struggles) is very annoying, and I think we should stop before we start getting mean, and getting warned. You can have the last word, if you like. I won't respond to it again.

Agreed.

"Thanks for the final episode, Paul. Could we have it on Vimeo, though? The video quality isn't quite as good on Youtube... =( " <---Fair criticism of final product and simple request

"You completely ruined the entire final episode because I am nitpicky over very marginal differences in visual quality. Give this to me on Vimeo or you failed us and do not have the qualities of a good artist." <--- melodrama, insults, egocentrism, etc. Somewhere in there is some simple feedback/criticism, but it's buried under a big pile of trying to make Paul feel bad about himself so that you can get what you want.

People don't tend to get ganged up on for providing feedback/criticism, but they DO tend to get ganged up on when they start getting all melodramatic and negative with 2PP or DF and say rude things or phrase their feedback/criticisms in a rude way. Naturally, on a forum specifically dedicated to nothing but people who love DF and what they do, most of those people would not respond well to that.

Just agreeing with OANST. Last post for me too.

"You completely ruined the entire final episode because I am nitpicky over very marginal differences in visual quality. Give this to me on Vimeo or you failed us and do not have the qualities of a good artist." <--- melodrama, insults, egocentrism, etc. Somewhere in there is some simple feedback/criticism, but it's buried under a big pile of trying to make Paul feel bad about himself so that you can get what you want.

I may also add that all the episodes can be downloaded in much higher quality than Vimeo or YouTube provides (and he should have known this).

And yes, episode 20 is already available!

I think making them public is a fine idea. It's been a blast being behind the scenes all this time, but there is no more scene to hide behind.

Public read only seems fine, actually probably doesn't matter if it is RW for a limited time

I guess it makes sense for these forums to close, and so why not make them public Read Only? We can continue discussing things in the public forum if we have to.

Wow. It's been fun. Thanks guys!

I don't see any reason to keep things private anymore. 3.5 years seems like plenty to get the money worth out of the forums, and with the game live and done, there's not a whole lot to be gained from keeping them private especially if they're just going to languish. Open them up, its time.

Open all of them to public and lock DFA: From Double Fine and 2 Player Productions subforum to read only.

Make them public, but reading-only. That way one will be completely able to distinct them from the other public posts and know exactly who wrote what back then.

Sign in to follow this