Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sswift

Now that you've finished the game... *SPOILERS!* ...what did you THINK was going to happen in Act 2?

I thought the mom and dad were video conferencing with Shay all along from beyond the plague dam.

I thought Marek was surely not the Dad since the voice actor was different, so he would probably be Shay's brother, to balance out his family with Vella's, or an uncle, because he sounded so much older and creepier.

I thought Alex would be related to Shay in some way. A distant relative. Great great great uncle, or something.

Due to Alex's line about the people from Steel Bunting being a bunch of badasses, I thought the result of Vella's fighting Mog Chothra would be the citizens of Sugar Bunting reverting to some warlike state to save their village that they believed would surely be destroyed, possibly attacking the ship when it returns with Vella on it.

I'd hoped we'd get to visit Loruna, and see what life there is like. From comments made in the documentary, I assumed there would be some problem with pollution making the citizens sick and sterile, and it would be Vella's job to shut down their reactor against their wishes to show them that that's the source of their ills.

And I thought the surprise mom had planned for Shay would be revealing the maidens for him to choose a bride.

I'm glad I was wrong though. I'd rather be surprised, than right. :)

I thought that Alex and Shay were clones that someone was using to harvest maidens for them. And that similarly the mother of the original clone had been entered into a computer in order to raise all the clones.

I thought that the spoon would die in a sacrificial use (I guess grabby gary took that role).

Midway through the act I thought that we'd use the equal and opposite force to blast away at some point using the laser - because of what Vella said at the start of her part when in space about throwing something to propel her. I was really hoping at the end you would grab hold with grabby gary and then blast off using the death ray to propel the ships out of there.

My basic working hypothesis was that the maidens were being kidnapped to be taken beyond the plague dam for reasons that were something to do with some sort of disease that necessitated gathering additional people for research or something, or to keep the cure working.

I thought the mother and father on the ship might be real, but I thought that perhaps they were real people whose consciousness had been transferred onto the ship.

I definitely thought they were aware that the ship was fake, and that they were working together with Marek in order to guide Shay towards performing his task, and that everything was going to plan up to the point that Vella took down the Mog.

I couldn't really think of a good reason why the boy was necessary to pick the maidens (and to be absolutely fair, this was never explained in a fully satisfactory way; the vague instincty explanation didn't really do much for me), but I thought maybe what was going to happen was something like that they needed to use the boy to rescue the maidens in order to manipulating him into feeling responsible for what happens next, in order to coerce him into becoming the next ship dad. Or something.

So basically I got some sorta-right and some kinda-wrong.

Not much in the way of specifics but I figured there was going to be another section where shay and vella are separated discovering the other ones world, then a final section where they are together and have to find out about/stop/help finish whatever mog chothra's real purpose was.

I believed Operation Dandelion and Loruna were for real, that Alex was the first to arrive in Vella's world and the other spaceships followed in its wake, but they were hijacked and retrofitted with the monster exterior and hacked for the kidnapping of Maidens. I had no idea why. I also theorised that Shay and every spaceship pilot were clones, and it didn't occur to me that Mom and Dad weren't computer programs. I thought the Plague Dam was where a Mog factory had been set up in proximity to a portal the spaceships from Loruna had come through, and was genuinely holding back whatever sickness had taken hold of that world.

So I got the Mog factory part right xD

I didn't think about it too long or too hard, but I suppose I imagined that Loruna was actually an alien planet and that the mogs/ships were genuinely traveling across space in search of a new place to settle and seed new life.

I figured that most of the ships were either unsuccesful (dead) or still out there drifting, but that Alex's ship and Shay's ship both just happened to drift into the same planet.

Why 300 years apart though? Don't know! Didn't think about it!

I figured that Shay's "mom" and "dad" were actual AI, but that they were really really good and sentient and human-level AI. You know, like bicentennial man level AI.

Where did Shay come from biologically though? Don't know! Didn't think about it!

Seemed pretty obvious that Sugar Bunting was Steel Bunting.

I figured that Marek was some kind of old enemy from Loruna, like an enemy that was somehow partly responsible for the fact that Loruna was dying, and that he and other espionage-ish agents like him were somehow able to track down and board the drifting Loruna "dandelion seeds" as it were, hack them, sabotage them, and then use them to their own ends.

Why not just kill them, though? Why trick them into kidnapping alien maidens? Don't know! Didn't think about it!

I thought for a while that operation dandelion was something more like a colonization project (with some genetic purpose), mostly based on the name itself, where these boy children were sent out to collect a harem of girls to restart a certain population (perhaps an old royal family or almost extinct race). although I could never make that work really with the exact 14 year cycle. thought that if maybe he was a prince or someone who tradition demanded be trained in heroism and goodness while the program still requiring him to do dodgy things like kidnapping. Perhaps the girl(s) would later be convinced (or brainwashed) that theyd been chosen to be princesses and so go along with it. It already is of course but it would be in line with the subversion of prince-princess stories if he actually was a prince or equivalent. Toyed with the idea that Loruna was long gone and shay was artificially concieved or unfrozen in the ship.

I didnt think the parents were real, just that it was all an automated facility for bringing up a kid. also thought marek was another robot, representing hairy puberty and interest in girls. (which he still does but I mean as a part of the ship program) and that maybe there would be a twist where marek would seem bad but then turn out good - a sheep in wolfs clothing.

also absolutely thought that shay would do vellas journey in reverse and end up in sugar bunting where hed turn the population around to their warlike roots and face off with the witch. it was pretty obvious that she was a bad one or someone that knew what was going on but didnt have any concrete ideas how. since its mentioned that shes super old (or could be) maybe shed have SOME connection with that ancient kingdom.

obviously something important would be beyond the plague dam but didnt think itd actually be loruna. maybe a gate of some kind. dimensional or temporal

I felt certain that the maidens were being turned into mom computers and that Shay's mother had originally come from Vella's world.

Sign in to follow this