Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mudd1

Is that knot puzzle driving anyone else crazy?

In the end, here's what I did - I got the diagram from Carol, returned to F'ther, then saved the game just before I climbed the ladder. Each time I got the wrong answer, I would simply re-load the save file by returning to the main menu, and the game would boot me right back to the moment before I climbed the ladder. That meant I could easily find out which answers were wrong and then return to my save-file right away to try another answer for the same knot. I got by it in three minutes this way.

Hmm.... I didn't find the puzzle that difficult at all. I got it after just a couple of tries. It sounds like a lot of people are encountering a bug in this puzzle that makes it MUCH harder than it is supposed to be. I'm wondering if you didn't get the bug.

Guys, if you are frustrated by the puzzle and stuck, there is a way to cheat and get around it. I spent three hours trying to solve it before I finally gave up and did this. I look forward to solving it for real once the bug is removed of course, but for now, there's just no logical solution to it and it is, frankly, a frustrating waste of time that requires dumb luck.

In the end, here's what I did - I got the diagram from Carol, returned to F'ther, then saved the game just before I climbed the ladder. Each time I got the wrong answer, I would simply re-load the save file by returning to the main menu, and the game would boot me right back to the moment before I climbed the ladder. That meant I could easily find out which answers were wrong and then return to my save-file right away to try another answer for the same knot. I got by it in three minutes this way.

Not the most honorable way to solve a puzzle, yes, but I don't think this puzzle is anywhere close to fair as it is... like I said... three freaking hours of guesswork, no thanks...

It sounds like you ran into a bug, the one I posted about earlier in the thread. There is an easier way to get out of it than the steps you describe, which is to pick the "You stay here.." option in the dialog tree with F'ther.

We'll have an update coming with the real fix. Really sorry you ran into it. Thanks to everyone who posted here, we tracked it down!

UPDATE: the dialog option I posted was wrong. Should be "Hang on. I'm going to get a new diagram and be right back!"

Guys, if you are frustrated by the puzzle and stuck, there is a way to cheat and get around it. I spent three hours trying to solve it before I finally gave up and did this. I look forward to solving it for real once the bug is removed of course, but for now, there's just no logical solution to it and it is, frankly, a frustrating waste of time that requires dumb luck.

Not the most honorable way to solve a puzzle, yes, but I don't think this puzzle is anywhere close to fair as it is... like I said... three freaking hours of guesswork, no thanks...

It sounds like you ran into a bug, the one I posted about earlier in the thread. There is an easier way to get out of it than the steps you describe, which is to pick the "You stay here.." option in the dialog tree with F'ther.

We'll have an update coming with the real fix. Really sorry you ran into it. Thanks to everyone who posted here, we tracked it down!

Did it just get more awesome in here?

*extends high five arm for passing Anna*

Don't want to brag or anything (maybe a little), but it took me about 15min to figure this one out. 8)

First time I gave this puzzle a try I failed on purpose to try to "clean slate" the knot untying process. Then I chose "let's take a break" because I didn't want to have to go all the way back to Car'l for help, and planned to reuse the description she had already given me. Didn't expect to have them disappear and have to walk all the way back to her, and certainly didn't expect there to be a quick travel option. I think that's one problem with puzzle games that I have; I tend to over think/think very differently than the designers expected, so I end up trying overly elaborate ways to do things that are far more simple...

I really, REALLY didn't want to have to look up this puzzle, but I'm glad I did 'cause going back and forth was driving me bonkers. I was already stuck on a puzzle with Vella so I put down the game for a nearly a week.

First time I gave this puzzle a try I failed on purpose to try to "clean slate" the knot untying process. Then I chose "let's take a break" because I didn't want to have to go all the way back to Car'l for help, and planned to reuse the description she had already given me. Didn't expect to have them disappear and have to walk all the way back to her, and certainly didn't expect there to be a quick travel option. I think that's one problem with puzzle games that I have; I tend to over think/think very differently than the designers expected, so I end up trying overly elaborate ways to do things that are far more simple...

I think the problem is not with puzzle games but with this puzzle. It could have used more polish to accommodate different approaches. If you tackle it right and know about the teleportation option, it's quickly solved. If you don't fulfill these criteria, it can take you a lot of time and isn't very logical. The bug surely didn't help but at the end of the day it's just unpolished.

The implementation of the puzzle has some problems, yeah.

Sign in to follow this