Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Say no to trolls: Upvote some positive reviews

Broken Age currently has a "very positive" rating on Steam with 3,328 positive reviews and 419 negative (about 90% positive). The game is also very positively reviewed on most of the major news sites and on metacritic.

Yet if you look at the store's front page on steam, all of the negative reviews have been aggressively upvoted so that only negative reviews show on the front page, even though the negatives are a staunch minority. A lot of positive reviews also have obvious GG comments posted on them.

It's clear what's going on here, and I hope we can agree that it's lame.

Please help out Double Fine by going to http://store.steampowered.com/app/232790/ then selecting the "positive" filter on reviews and mark some of the positives as "helpful".

You don't have to mark any as helpful if you don't actually think they are helpful. At least do one or two to combat the obvious hate campaign.

Thanks!

Your fellow DF enthusiast

I've upvoted some reviews that sound pretty truthful from my own perspective. Be aware that some of the negative reviews have spoilers in them -- so be careful.

Smiles

Will do my best...Especially if the negative comments are more about DF sucks, that BA sucks cause, blah, blah, blah. Negative reviews that aren't biased by expectations I accept. Those done out of spite... need to be Old Yellered.

-> lol

-> lol

Kosh, I get that you weren't super satisfied, but your antagonizing lols are not requested, thanks.

It's not like I'm asking people to be deceitful. I'm asking people to COUNTER deceit.

90% of the game's user reviews are positive and yet people abusing the "helpful" function have artificially pushed the negative 10% to the front page.

If it were the case that the game were 90% negative and I were asking people to upvote a minority 10% opinion, that would be pretty sad and deceitful, and I would understand your lol, but there is nothing ridiculous about what I'm asking.

but your antagonizing lols are not requested, thanks.
glad that I don't have to care about what you do request or not.

And of course I "lol" at this.

We're talking about a game.

Some love it - some hate it - some are not super satisfied about it.

So what? Does the world turn into a better place when we follow your appeal? Doubt that!

I really like the energy you want to put into this - but I would love to see that you put it into something meaningful.

Just saying :-)

but your antagonizing lols are not requested, thanks.
glad that I don't have to care about what you do request or not.

And of course I "lol" at this.

We're talking about a game.

Some love it - some hate it - some are not super satisfied about it.

So what? Does the world turn into a better place when we follow your appeal? Doubt that!

I really like the energy you want to put into this - but I would love to see that you put it into something meaningful.

Just saying :-)

What energy? I just clicked a couple of "helpful" buttons and asked others to do the same. If you really care as little as you're insisting, then why are you even here talking to me about it? Maybe you could find something more meaningful to do than belittle people on the internet.

Unfortunately it's not a question of "some love it, some hate it". That's the whole point. 90% love it and 10% hate it, but certain people are trying to make the 10% seem like the 90%, and if history/context is any indication, it has less to do with their opinion of the games or their opinion of those reviews than it does with their opinion on Spacebase and/or Tim's opinions on social issues.

All of that aside, it's sad that people with negative opinions tend to be more aggressive about sharing their opinion than people with positive opinions. Reminding people to help out things they like by quantifying their positivity as much as others are quantifying their negativity is not a silly thing to ask.

I did notice the weird discrepancy between the positive rating, and the number of negative reviews shown, but I didn't know how the system with upvoting worked. Not really suprised though, review systems like this is the clearest indication, next after comment fields on sports sites, how there is no limit to peoples need to act like childs. Not sure that I actually have the will to try and battle that wave of stupid, but I might check it out, to see if I can help somewhat.

All of that aside, it’s sad that people with negative opinions tend to be more aggressive about sharing their opinion than people with positive opinions.
Agree to that one. As simple as bad: it's in our nature.

I participated in a seminare a while ago; it was about brainstorming sessions and how to getting the maximum out of it.

If you want to to something new than you have to ask people what you have to do that it goes WRONG!!

Because our brain is - for whatever reason - working better thinking in this way.

It works; you're getting more feedback.

When you than turn each message into a positive one you got a huge list of things that matters :-)

All of that aside, it's sad that people with negative opinions tend to be more aggressive about sharing their opinion than people with positive opinions.

That is slightly inaccurate. People with extreme views are simply more vocal, and a lot of people who don't share those extreme views are too apathetic to oppose that vocality from gaining ground. That's how it has always been and that's what has happened in the reviews section of Broken Age as well.

Anyone seen that RPS "article" about the second part? Guy didn't even pay attention to the plot at all... Couldn't even properly name something he complained was poorly explained and yadda yadda... I mean, seriously. Does he just skip all the dialogue and hope the required cutscenes fill him in? I'm appalled that it even appears in the steam Broken Age news list.

I did see the RPS article. It's here for anyone who missed it. And honestly, I kind of agree with what the guy says. Not everything, mind - it's not a flawless article. And while it might not be what YOU think, it's still a perfectly valid article and has every right to exist.

...not entirely sure why it showed up in the News List, but I'm not going to say it doesn't have a right to exist.

Doesn't change that I found a good number of inconsistencies with his idea of the plot points and the actual game, which suggested he wasn't paying enough attention, so I'm still going to keep my stance.

Sign in to follow this