Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gilles

[Spoilers] Act 2 - I think this is a bug?

I've already e-mailed Support about this a few days ago, but haven't gotten an answer yet and I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

In Vella's story in act 2, there is a part where you're supposed to go through two different teleports on the ship to make her head bigger as far as I can tell, but in my case, going through the other one just makes her head smaller again. I've tried seemingly every order the game lets me use. Has anyone else seen this? Or have I missed something?

Edit: Oops, this should probably be in the bugs forum.

You're right about needing to use teleporters to increase head size twice, but I don't remember which order I used. As I recall, I tried doing it once or twice and couldn't get both size increases. Then I went and did something else for a while, then just happened to take a teleporter and got the second one, so I hightailed it for mom right away. Could potentially be a bug! Not sure about this one!

There is a bug (a visual glitch that makes a door appear to be usable when it isn't -- fixed in next update) related to this, but the logic is as intended. I believe I responded to someone who sent an email about this in support, but just putting it out there for anyone else who runs across this.

There is a bug (a visual glitch that makes a door appear to be usable when it isn't -- fixed in next update) related to this, but the logic is as intended. I believe I responded to someone who sent an email about this in support, but just putting it out there for anyone else who runs across this.

Could you elaborate? I couldn't figure out how that logic would make sense, especially with how Shay's version of this puzzle works. You can end up with already normal head and one of the teleporters saying to you that you have to return with the other one to bring it back to normal. Seems like you have to use the teleporters not only in correct order, but also in somewhat correct direction - and I fail to see how the working direction should be more correct than the not working one.

I could swear I'd tried this way before, but I did finally end up getting it to work just now.

Seems like you have to use the teleporters not only in correct order, but also in somewhat correct direction - and I fail to see how the working direction should be more correct than the not working one.

Huh? the direction is the only thing that matters isnt it, ie from the nexus and out? same as shay.

I didnt experience anything weird.

Could you elaborate? I couldn't figure out how that logic would make sense, especially with how Shay's version of this puzzle works. You can end up with already normal head and one of the teleporters saying to you that you have to return with the other one to bring it back to normal. Seems like you have to use the teleporters not only in correct order, but also in somewhat correct direction - and I fail to see how the working direction should be more correct than the not working one.

Sure, yeah. The Teleporter Malfunctions that Shay and Vella encounter work differently. Shay's head is not allowed to enlarge above his regular size or shrink below a threshold (this part is same as Vella's, except hers can't shrink or grow above a threshold). If you travel back around in an attempt to shrink his head without using all three teleporters, his head will toggle shrinking/growing (e.g. Teleporter room->Storage Room (Shay's head will shrink one size), walk to Play Room Hallway Teleporter->Teleporter Room (Shay's head will shrink one size), walk to Storage Room->Teleporter Room (Shay's head will *enlarge* one size)).

The teleporters don't toggle the head growing direction, though, for Vella. If you've used it once in one direction, enlarging again via the same method will not work -- the teleporter will not open at all, as opposed to toggling the head back one step as it did for Shay. I think we did it this way for a good reason, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Maybe so that teleporting you to the Storage Room after getting the first and third question wrong from Mom will be less likely to mess up your head size (after some playtests). Either way, the malfunction already exhibits itself slightly differently for Vella and Shay, so it does stay consistent in terms of the motivation, but it's true that the teleporters don't seem to be aware of it.

I'm definitely encountering bugginess with the teleporter with Vella, which seems to contradict what the intentions were. I thought the game only let Vella enlarge her head one size instead of two until I searched online and found out that that two sizes up was where I needed to be.

I literally *just* got it to work, so let me post my experience here (hopefully for future bug fixes or for other people searching for the same problem).

The bug

Basically, this was my experience for most of Act II so far: if I start with a normal head, then go through one teleporter and then the other (say, Playroom Hallway -> Teleporter Nexus, then Teleporter Nexus -> Storage Room) the game would always size Vella's head up the first time, then decrease it the second time. This despite going through two different teleporters.

Yes, the game would not let me try to go through again (e.g. Storage Room -> Teleporter Nexus, then go do Storage Room -> Teleporter Nexus again). However, I think the logic is a bit buggy. One time, that Storage Room <-> Teleporter Nexus route was closed on both ends. And the entire Nexus was shut down. And I had a normal head at the time! Thankfully, the entry point at the Playroom Hallway would open for me, and going through that reset the teleporters, I think.

The solution

Here is how I fixed it.

I determined that one thing I would never think to try is to teleport to the Nexus, and then instead of immediately entering the other teleporter, I leave and go to the other destination and teleport from there back to the Nexus. In other words, starting with a normal head, I used the route from Playroom Hallway -> Teleport Nexus, WALK OUT and go to the Storage Room on foot, THEN teleport from Storage Room -> Teleporter Nexus. FINALLY, I have a 2x size head!

I definitely think either something is buggy or the change from Act I to Act II didn't help me :(

The teleporters don't toggle the head growing direction, though, for Vella. If you've used it once in one direction, enlarging again via the same method will not work -- the teleporter will not open at all, as opposed to toggling the head back one step as it did for Shay. I think we did it this way for a good reason, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Maybe so that teleporting you to the Storage Room after getting the first and third question wrong from Mom will be less likely to mess up your head size (after some playtests).

Yes, this makes sense, seeing how you tried (and succeeded) to make failing to solve certain puzzles not be annoying by having to backtrack in Act 2 (both with Vella answering Mom's questions and with Shay untying Harm'ny's knot). Since this was a new feature in Act 2, it would obviously introduce new challenges for the game logic, which may require some things to function differently than they did in Act 1 in order to solve them.

I must say, at first I was slightly annoyed when the game instantly took me to Shay's room after I failed to answer Mom's question about the boots because I already knew that's where I need to go for clues and I felt like the game was trying to "handhold" me. But then I realised how convenient it actually is, because if I was already going to go all the way over there myself, might as well save me the trouble of having to walk there.

The only remaining problem, in my opinion, was that it was not made apparent enough that Vella's head shrinks when she's teleported to Shay's room automatically. The first time it happened, I presumed that it didn't - I thought the game's automatic action would not undo my progress ("progress" in this case being making Vella's head as big as possible with the teleporters) - so I avoided going back through the teleporter in Shay's room in order to not mess up her head, only to find out when I got to Mom again that now Vella's head is one "size" too small. It would have been great if her head visibly shrunk when she steps out of the teleporter after getting automatically teleported (maybe it does happen, but I just failed to notice it?). But I am well aware it is probably too late now to fiddle with these animations.

So I guess... you're welcome for the useless feedback? xD

saikofish: That's exactly how I ended up getting it to work in the end. Sounds like that was an intentional change and is intended bugginess of the teleporters.

1. Enter the ship with Vella.

2. Go straight to Marek's place.

3. Go straight to the junk room via Marek's sleeping room.

4. Use the teleporter to go to Nexus.

5. Find out that your head is bigger.

6. Use the second teleporter to go to Starboard Passageway.

7. Find out your head is normal now.

8. Go to the junk room through Marek's place again.

9. Your head is normal, but the teleporter says it's not and requires you to fix it first.

10. Go to the room with teleporters.

11. Your head is normal, but you can't use either of the teleporters. Notice that two steps earlier one of them says "come through me back first"!

12. Go to the Starboard Passageway by foot.

13. Go through the teleporter.

14. Notice that your head it bigger and both teleporters in Nexus are active again.

At this point it seems to be somewhat fixed, so that reproduces the bug I had in mind earlier. However, I decided to dig more and turns out it's not the case...

15. Go to the Starboard Passageway again by foot.

16. The teleporter you just used is still active!

17. Go through it to the Nexus again.

18. You achieved second level of bigger head with just one teleporter.

or alternatively:

15. Go to the junk room by foot.

16. The teleporter there that you haven't used (on either side) is inactive. Why?

or alternatively:

15. Go to the Starboard Passageway by teleporter.

16. Your head is normal again.

17. Go to the Nexus. Both teleporters are inactive.

18. Go to the junk room. The teleporter is inactive. Despite of you having normal head, only one teleporter out of four is active. Why?

or alternatively:

15. Go to the junk room by teleporter.

16. You head is normal again.

17. Both teleporters in Nexus are inactive now (why?). Teleporters in junk room and in Starboard Passageway are active.

18. Go back to Nexus through teleporter either in junk room or in Starboard Passageway.

19. Now it seems to be finally fixed - every teleporter is active except the one you just went through, and I suppose that was the intention.

Something's definitely buggy here.

Thanks for writing this so succinctly and in clear steps. Your experience definitely mirrored mine, particularly steps 9 - 11 which described exactly what I think was a bug in the system.

Hi, I found a problem and it solves the bug encountered in step 9 by dos.

Step 11 is expected. You aren't allowed to use the teleporters if it would shrink your head below the normal size. Step 16 (the first one) is also correct. The teleporter logic changed for Act 2 (for reasons I can't remember) so this is allowed.

Sign in to follow this