Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Howitzer

SPOILERS - Stuck

I've been banging my head against this puzzle for hours now, and I'm no closer then when I started:

I've finished Shay's path, and he's waiting for Alex to take off. In Vella's path I created the bomb and threw it down the trash, and now I'm on her last puzzle. Obviously, I have to change the pattern in the cloth that the weaver creates to match the notes on the musical staff on the wall in Alex's ship. However, I have no way to remove stitches. I can add stitches easily enough using the hook, but the pattern that the star chart creates has two filled spaces that need to be blanked.

All I can figure is that either I need to altar the star chart somehow so that they never get put on the cloth in the first place, or I need some other tool that will remove the unwanted stitches. I've been wandering all over the ship though, and I can't find anything else left to do.

Vella's current inventory is the activator for Alex's Death Ray, the talking knife, the hook, and the Red Hanger star chart.

This puzzle annoyed me to no end, because like the OP I couldn't see any way to make the scarf pattern correspond to the musical notes.

Eventually I gave up and found the correct pattern online, and the solution still makes no sense to me whatsoever. I don't see the significance of pattern you use to solve it, or where it comes from.

Anyone care to explain it to me?

the thing on the wall is just a hint to tell you that musical version of the nav scarf plays from left to right and has three pitches. the tune you need is the one that alex plays for you (last destination). you can ask him to play it as a dialog option and when you use the flute thing on him.

the thing on the wall is just a hint to tell you that musical version of the nav scarf plays from left to right and has three pitches. the tune you need is the one that alex plays for you (last destination). you can ask him to play it as a dialog option and when you use the flute thing on him.

Oh, I didn't get the flute thing until the end of the game and never found a use for it. The snake in Shay's world stumped me for a while so I focussed on Vela and completed her half first.

Thanks for the info. :)

Translating Alex's song from audio to visual was my favorite puzzle of the game.

A puzzle where you have to listen!!! I bet that made Camden happy. ;-)

Translating Alex's song from audio to visual was my favorite puzzle of the game.

A puzzle where you have to listen!!! I bet that made Camden happy. ;-)

Actually, the way I solved it was by turning the subtitles on (I was trying EVERYTHING at this point), and seeing "middle note, high note, high note, low note, middle note"

a light bulb turned on at that point.

oh shit. thats kind of an interesting way of solving it. do you mean you didnt think the song was important until then? and out of interest, do you play an instrument or have any experience with music? or dont rather. to me it seemed kind of obvious but its hard to imagine how someone whos perhaps never played an instrument would see it.

thats cool with the subtitles. they really care about people with various disabilities....thats color blindness and deafness down. and muteness and leglessness...ness

I've had friends who are basically "music blind", and when this puzzle came up I immediately knew it would stump a few people. Seems kind of funny to me in retrospect, with the obvious attention to other accessibility concerns.

That said, I felt kind of rockstar when I recalled the tune and visualized the chart additions on the fly.

oh shit. thats kind of an interesting way of solving it. do you mean you didnt think the song was important until then? and out of interest, do you play an instrument or have any experience with music? or dont rather. to me it seemed kind of obvious but its hard to imagine how someone whos perhaps never played an instrument would see it.

thats cool with the subtitles. they really care about people with various disabilities....thats color blindness and deafness down. and muteness and leglessness...ness

Hmm. I guess I hadn't considered how that puzzle might be different for musicians / non-musicians. I've been playing music for years.

From the sound of it I wouldn't have been able to solve this puzzle even if I'd been approaching it correctly. I remember how much the music puzzle in Broken Sword 5 the Serpent's Curse annoyed me, due to my almost total lack of musical knowledge and ability. It completely baffles me that someone can hear a note and go "oh, that's a C."

It completely baffles me that someone can hear a note and go "oh, that's a C."

People usually can't. That's called absolute pitch and it's pretty rare.

However, nearly everyone can distinguish the pitch of two notes played in succession if their pitch differs by at least half a semitone (and identify which of the two notes is lower and which is higher).

Without the subtitles, I wouldn't have been able to process the pattern. I could probably have managed if it were only two pitches, but with three or more it becomes a blur. The pattern might be five completely different notes for all I'd be able to tell.

thats super interesting guys/gals! I have terrible sense of pitch also...Heres one tip though, have you tried humming along and noting when youre putting more strain on your vocal cords? (more strain > higher pitch)

The word "guys" means nowadays both genders. Just saying. ;)

I also used subtitles on since I wasn't sure what is considered high pitch etc sounds. Considering if I recall right, there were more than three different sounds.

Sign in to follow this