Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
crazyman

Do you have to switch to Vella to solve one of Shay's puzzles?

I'm not going to be specific here to avoid spoilers but if you've played it you probably know what I'm talking about.

Yes. In act 2, Shay and Vella have to depend a lot more on each other.

Thanks. That's a bit disappointing, I was hoping to go through both characters' parts separately like in Act 1. That's the way I flow.

Not surprising though, since the complete isolation between the character parts was a common complaint about act 1.

It was pretty straightforward though -- IIRC, one act 2 puzzle for each character required crossover knowledge, plus the co-op finale.

Which Shay puzzle required Vella side knowledge? Neither of the two places that had me stuck for a while had anything to do with Vella side knowledge.

[edit] Oh, The wiring puzzle. Yeah, forgot about that one.

Which Shay puzzle required Vella side knowledge? Neither of the two places that had me stuck for a while had anything to do with Vella side knowledge.

Um... The hexipal wiring puzzle. The charging configuration is found on Vella's side.

KINDA SPOILERY

As a weird quirk, I started with Shay and went all the way through before going to Vella.

I solved the wire puzzle randomly on my second attempt, which has some pretty long odds as I now realize. Shay said "that looks right, but I don't know why." Is this the same dialogue you get if you go to Vella's world first?

I solved the wire puzzle randomly on my second attempt, which has some pretty long odds as I now realize. Shay said "that looks right, but I don't know why." Is this the same dialogue you get if you go to Vella's world first?

As far as I remember it is. I think it plays into the whole intuition thing that they both have and the connection between them.

I thought in the case of the wiring puzzle it was more to do with Shay remembering it from his youth. That was the only magical-knowledge puzzle I think really worked, because there's a plausible mechanism for how Shay might have kinda known the answer, but you need to refer to the answer back on the ship to get it. With the others, it's all this wishy washy stuff about a connection that, for me, didn't quite get explored enough to start using it as a puzzle mechanic. But oh well!

I was able to answer the first two questions about Shay just based on what I had picked up about Shay's personality, so you can justify it from Vella's side as well, that she was able to do it from what she had learnt about him on the ship.

Indeed, it is unfortunate that trying to play through each character separately may get you stuck, and may not be the best for getting the most out of the story.

In my case, I was a little disappointed when I played through the Shay/snake encounter before I'd seen the adorable Mr. Huggy photo. I didn't solve the puzzle by logic -- I was just curious what would happen. The photo definitely sets expectations more clearly.

Sign in to follow this