Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club: Broken Age part 2 (with special guests)

We also had a response from Tim reagarding why Shay doesn't get cloud shoes (a question that was asked during the last session):

He never has to carry golden eggs!

My question would be: How many years was Hope in her room refusing to come out and give Shay a hug?

We're live with special guest Ben Peck. Come join us!

That was fun. Good work everyone who organized it, and participated.

The chat log from today's session is up in the first post. Big thanks to Ben Peck and Oliver Franzke for joining us!

We've also had a surprise visit from Pendleton Ward afterward \o/

Was that actually Pendleton Ward? I thought that was just a random person and I suddenly had to leave.

As to the question that Oliver posed to us (what in the documentary surprised us most), I was shocked to learn about the lay-offs in episode 19, because it was the first I heard of it and it was sad and infuriating that a publisher had screwed the team over like that :( A much milder surprise is Tim's apparent problems with programming the dialogue into the game himself, I don't know if he learnt eventually or not, but I had assumed that was part of what he did.

Was that actually Pendleton Ward? I thought that was just a random person and I suddenly had to leave.

Apparently it was! We talked a little bit about game development, LPBB and Double Fine :)

As to the question that Oliver posed to us (what in the documentary surprised us most), I was shocked to learn about the lay-offs in episode 19, because it was the first I heard of it and it was sad and infuriating that a publisher had screwed the team over like that :( A much milder surprise is Tim's apparent problems with programming the dialogue into the game himself, I don't know if he learnt eventually or not, but I had assumed that was part of what he did.

I'm still having trouble thinking of something that was surprising (the layoffs were definitely a shock, but I'd heard about them beforehand). I guess I was surprised to see Scott C (at least, I think it was) throwing out concept art in an early episode :D

I'm still having trouble thinking of something that was surprising (the layoffs were definitely a shock, but I'd heard about them beforehand). I guess I was surprised to see Scott C (at least, I think it was) throwing out concept art in an early episode :D

That was Bagel! Scott scolded him for throwing it out. I actually really liked that moment! Even amazing artists like Bagel still has some doubts about his art. Makes me feel a little bit less bad for not liking mine sometimes.

Yeah, it's been really nice to see overcoming those sorts of hurdles be framed by the documentary as something normal. It's always so heartening to see people find inspiration from that aspect (for art and for development in general).

Alrighty, some news! It looks like we've managed to wrangle Tim Schafer and Khris Brown (Broken Age's voice director) for a special 5th session on the 6th of June. At this stage, we're looking towards the usual time slot, but that may change depending upon our guests' availability.

Don't forget that we still have Oliver, Bagel, Majus and I think Anna planning to join us this weekend as well!

Exciting :D

YAY!

Especially since this Saturday I'll be out late at a convention that Scott Campbell himself has been a part of for his books (Book Expo America)... so a Tim session and Khris?

I'll totally try to make this!

FINALLY A SATURDAY WHERE I DON'T HAVE TO BE AT A THING.

Now let's see if I actually remember!

FINALLY A SATURDAY WHERE I DON'T HAVE TO BE AT A THING.

Now let's see if I actually remember!

I'll remind you on Steam (if I remember it myself).

We're starting soon, come join us!

The chat log from today's session is up. Thanks to everybdoy who joined us today, and a big thank you to Bagel for dropping in and chatting with us!

There were a few URLs thrown around during today's session that people might be interested in:

* Note sharing thread

* Tim's responses to some questions about Broken Age's ending and themes

* A thread speculating that the game's themes reflect an ideal of bringing developers and players together

* A neat piece of fan art

Also, around the same time as last week's session, Lee Petty posted a collection of Broken Age concept art that he had been tweeting up to his blog for more centralised viewing.

Looking forward to next week's session!

Since I won't be able to be around for next week's, could someone ask Tim about the themes of parenthood and the relationship between parents and children in the game? Like did he draw inspiration from the modern world and his own experience as a parent for it?

The chat log from today's session is up. A very big thank you to Tim and Khris for sharing their time wit us. It was a wonderful end to our Broken Age playthrough.

From here, we'll be going on hiatus until further notice as we take a break and work out what the best future for Game Club may be. We'd love it if you could take some time to share your thoughts on what you found enjoyable about Broken Age over in this thread!

Sign in to follow this