Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nz17

Which Score Do You Give Broken Age out of 100? (*Spoilers allowed*)

How do you score Broken Age?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. How do you score Broken Age?

• 95-99
    • 90-94
    • 85-89
    • 80-84
    • 75-79
    • 70-74
    • 65-69
    • 60-64
    • 0-59

Simple enough: For those of you who have completed the story, what do you score Broken Age out of 100 points? Feel free to elaborate.

90-94

Because of reasons.

I might not be interpreting the story in a way as it was meant to by its writers, but the story is still good and environments are very well drawn.

90-94.

I enjoyed the game a LOT, but I still think it was quite short. And I was hoping the puzzles would get even more challenging.

Of course, both of these things could be the result of me having quite a bit of luck with figuring out the puzzles, because on a couple occasions, after solving a puzzle, I had an indescribably strong feeling of "Wow, I pulled that one out of my a**!" Or maybe I'm just a genius (not very likely :P).

I also regret that some plot elements/details weren't explored/explained further. And I know this is because of budget and time limitations, but still, I would've liked to explore Loruna, instead of just going in there, bombing the mog factory and getting out, for example.

I really don't like single numeric rating scales for games. However, here's my take on it: the vast majority of *successfiul* games are average. A few games fall above the range, and a huge lot of games fall below the level, because there is much more excrement made than gems.

Second, just to give an example of how few games I would place above, Skyrim, which I have over 300 hours played of, is a solid 40-50.

Diablo 2 would probably be a 50-60.

Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Academy, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island etc. would probably fall in the 60-70 category.

Beneath a Steel Sky, my favourite adventure game, would probably fall in the 70-80 category, together with Super Mario Bros 3, Zork Nemesis, FTL, Colonization, UFO: Enemy Unknown, WarCraft 3, Deus Ex, Counterstrike, etc..

In the 80-90 category I would place five games: Donkey Kong Country 2, StarCraft, Knights of the Old Republic, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, and Portal.

There are no games that fit in the 90-100 category.

Broken Age is probably a 60-70.

90-94. The puzzle design in the second act was fantastic, but the story felt a little rushed near the end. It was still an incredible experience overall.

The entire roller coaster ride that was this backer project, private forums, documentaries and game does get a 100 from me. I'll miss this project deeply.

If I were to only rate the game I'd say the game is witty and humorous at all the right places. The puzzles for me were at the right level of difficulty that I had to use a walktrough at times; got stuck and solved it, got stuck and used walkthrough etc etc.)

On the negative side the ending felt very bland and rushed, the animations weren't very deep and loose ends on the story. I guess the expectations were to high from my side after three years, sum that up in a game ending eh:) but also judging from the crunch the devs had to do it was bound to get a rushed feel in the end.

I really don't like single numeric rating scales for games. However, here's my take on it: the vast majority of *successfiul* games are average. A few games fall above the range, and a huge lot of games fall below the level, because there is much more excrement made than gems.

Second, just to give an example of how few games I would place above, Skyrim, which I have over 300 hours played of, is a solid 40-50.

Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Academy, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island etc. would probably fall in the 60-70 category.

Beneath a Steel Sky, my favourite adventure game, would probably fall in the 70-80 category, together with Super Mario Bros 3, Zork Nemesis, FTL, Colonization, UFO: Enemy Unknown, WarCraft 3, Deus Ex, Counterstrike, etc..

In the 80-90 category I would place five games: Donkey Kong Country 2, StarCraft, Knights of the Old Republic, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, and Portal.

Wow, you have a very interesting grading system. I like it, but I wouldn't want you as a professor ;)

I would give Act 1-- 70%, Act 2 -- 90% and the game as a whole -- 85%. We had a blast playing it, but it falls just short of absolute brilliance due to a few flaws in the early game.

Now, in terms of the whole bundle, and the opportunity we've had to share in the making of this thing, I would rate value-for-money as 100%.

I hope beyond hope that DF is able to use this technology and take a punt on another point-n-click. Tim has shown he's still one of the best story-tellers in the business.

I put 80-84. Which I consider 'actual' 80-84 rather than the generally over inflated review scores prevalent in many mainstream outlets.

So, basically I loved the game. I think it has some narrative issues in act 2 with how it handles Shay's parents and how it kinda handwaves his role in the Thrush scheme. I also want a fan of those moments where I solve puzzles using information the character could never have known, like the nav pattern, because they feel more like plot holes than anything else. I think I'd like them better if they'd leaned a bit more heavily into the implied plot hook of Shay and Bella having some connection, but as it is it didn't quite work for me. I was hoping that the world would feel a bit more like a real place after act 2 too, but while the ships felt well realised, I still think some of the other areas just feel a bit too much like staging areas in which puzzles exist than real places.

But I think over the whole course of the game the story and the puzzles came together in a mostly very pleasing way and I had a lot of fun playing it.

Act 2 was everything I hoped for: a psychonautical trip inside two minds, crossing each other's boundaries, discovering one another and falling in love.

For a moment I feared that the plot would move toward a complot theory like so many others: Beneath A Steel Sky, Broken Sword, The Journey Down, etc.

So I'm glad that the focus stayed on the chemistry between Shay and Vella. The sinister world behind the dam was just as a metaphor for social pressure instead of following your heart - just one of the many hurdles they had to take - like digging each other's humor, parents, erotic soft spots (space weaver) and lots more.

I like how Tim Schafer beliefs that when you love one another, you develop a bit of a paranormal gift enabling you to solve puzzles no other could solve :-)

And that love aims to provide this bit of chaos nature needs in order to live on.

The end puzzle was exactly hard enough for me to feel really proud for solving it.

I am a very happy backer. Thanks for the love and care put into this amazing work of art.

Wow, you have a very interesting grading system. I like it, but I wouldn't want you as a professor ;)

And I wouldn't grade on a 0-100 score for either course grade or exams, if the choice was up to me (which it wouldn't be in any educational system I've been exposed to). I would probably grade on a minimum score per area covered for passing/failing that area, one overall minimum percentage across all areas covered, and a scoring within each area depending on how essential understanding of each concept covered in that area can be considered. Some concepts may be considered lowest common denominators as well, so even a 99% correct exam could fail if a student shows lack of understanding of an essential concept.

Anyway, a better system for grading games, is to separate out a few areas of scoring, either technical or subjective, or based on availability and pricing, and detail them. But since the topic asked for a 0-100 score, I had to try to melt those together. And thus, there's several things that leads to my not giving out a 90-100 to any game, and those are largely on the technical side. Basically, I have a long list of things (features, mechanics, control, platform availability etc.) that if missing from a game, would lower the score for that game, if I were a reviewer. I don't expect any game to fulfil these, but if they don't, they would fail to reach those top scores. One example, is that I wouldn't give any action based game that lock rendering frequency and game logics (& physics etc.) updating frequency more than a middling score on the technical side. A game that on launch, on lowest graphics settings, cannot maintain true 1080p30 on a low end, integrated graphics, old computer (at least 5 years old) wouldn't get more than middling score, either. (I.e. does it require dropping resolution, or entirely fail, the requirement to *never* drop below 30FPS.). Any game that doesn't have Fullscreen, Windowed borderless (fullscreen), and Windowed display mode wouldn't get even low on the technical side. Any game that is released on a single platform only or ahead of the others would get very low score on availability. Any game that isn't released simultaneously across the entire world would get low scores for availability. Any game that doesn't allow either seamless switching between keyboard &mouse; and controller, or a menu toggle for the same, would get middling technical score at best. Any game that requires unplugging of controller to get correct keyboard & mouse prompting gets nil in the game control subcategory. Any game of significant cost (>$5 or so) that uses £=€=$ pricing would get at best average scores for pricing. And so on.

Sign in to follow this