Sign in to follow this  
MisterTheD

What would you do if you could go back... to back again?

What would you do differently?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do differently?

• I would pledge more
    • I would pledge less
    • I’m happy with my pledge
    • I would not pledge at all
    • I would give all my money and live the next 2-3 years in a cave

Let me start by saying this: I'm aware this is a stupid, useless question on a sensitive and complex matter, but I wanted to talk about this. And yes, I'm a deeply insecure person and always start my arguments by taking a defensive tone. And also, my english is bad because I'm not a native speaker or writer. Enough with the apologetic stuff.

The question is in the title. After playing (hopefully) the whole game, how do you feel about your pledge? Would you pledge more, or less? Are you happy with the funding the game got? What about it being split in two acts?

I'm gonna make it a poll but of course your reasons may vary, as well as your overall appreciation of "what ifs" and "what would elijah wood do if elijah could" and other puns, so feel free to make your case.

In my humble opinion, and also according to what I got from the doc ( implied, stated or just "hunched" ), there was simply not enough money for act 2. This is awful but I feel like it turned out more than fine (I'm not gonna make that joke, you're welcome), with a decent or sometimes terrific re-use of environments and hints/puzzles/characters from the first act. I really enjoyed this game and got stuck on good puzzles, and if you take it in all together in one playthrough, it's awesome.

But if I could go back in time, I'd pledge more. This game lacks something, and I feel like they/you wanted to do more with it, from the section on the left of Mister Huggy to the 3D Hyper Crypt, from the evil guys' back story and culture to the story themes' development.

Also, with more money they could've maybe finished it and released it in one go, maybe releasing the first act a couple months earlier to backers. Maybe it could've had a third act, but maybe it would have required too much extra money.

You can feel the love and passion behind it, but you can also feel the pain and the anger from these last months of stupid internet trolls and layoffs, or maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm just coping with a minor disappointment, because I'm a spoiled unhappy person that thinks money can solve anything, or maybe the second act lacked "breath" to be truly a great ending to an amazing first act.

That's a lot of maybes. I know. There's one thing that I can say without a doubt : you guys are not bad with money and scaling. Those people (what a bunch of bastards) fail to see the awesomeness that you managed to create from nothing, and most of them did not share this amazing experience. So thank you Double Fine, thank you 2PP, and see you next time!

P.S. By the way, I decided to buy a shirt from your store and a UK copy of the game DVD. Love that box art!

I voted "I would pledge less" (100$ backer here), but the reason is not as straightforward as it seems. I like the game. I think the team did a wonderful job. Unfortunately, I think the over-the-top success of this Kickstarter messed things up in a lot of ways: the project mutated in something different. I think Tim would have probably chosen a Thimbleweed Park approach if he really got those original 300.000+100.000 dollars: personally, I don't care if the game tries to be something more than a simple retro experience - I understand that - but this switch in the original intent confused too many other backers. All the extra money put too much emotional weight on the shoulders of Tim and the rest of the gang. Too much success for a Kickstarter debut. Too much success for such an experimental project, which is also aimed to explain how videogames are made.

I chose pledge more. Not because I think they could have used more money for various aspects of the game - thats probably not how it works and I imagine it would get tim to try something even bigger and go over that budget as well. which is perfectly fine. I dont know what more or less money would have made. Nor do I know enough of what went on inside DF to have a perspective on the loads of extra funds put into the game...how much it actually hurt etc. It hasnt been easy obviously...But the finished game hits a great level of size and production values...and fanfare. (Bet a number of new players found the genre because of the headlines)

Anyways I chose more just because I feel Ive gotten more value out of this whole deal than I imagined. Best money (100 bucks) Ive ever spent on any kind of entertainment.

I would probably back for more. I would have done more than $15 originally, but I was in a much tighter place financially at the time. I think if the DFA would have happened in 2015, I would back more around $50 to $100. Doesn't really have anything to do with the game really. I just really like Double Fine and 2PP, and my dollars are my blessing.

I'm happy with the $15 I threw at double fine.

I would love a more satisfying ending but I doubt any amount of money the backers could have given them would change what the game is.

I gotta admit, I only backed 30 bucks because I wanted to be safe from that Vimeo streaming crap. As it turned out that the download option wasn't available until after the game was already released, I kinda regretted having spent that money on a feature I didn't actually get.

I pledged $100 and I'm happy with what I've gotten so far. The game lived up to my expectations and the documentary exceeded them.

I picked pledge more, but the thing is, I would have pledged more at the time if I could have. I really wanted the art book, but just could not spend that amount of money.

Not really interested to think that much about if's and but's, I'm just very happy with my $100 pledge. The things I would have wanted to be changed about the game (they're not many) are not really depedent on the budget for the game.

I am happy with my pledge ($250). Something to consider is that our pledges (small as well as big) may have changed the gaming industry: After DF, there have been a flora of games on Kickstarter. We have shown that there is money in something else than first-person-shooters and FIFA. And hopefully, we have made a difference in the world.

I am very proud to be a part of that.

Sign in to follow this