Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gbutera

So, what's next DoubleFine?

I just finished Broken Age. (First time I've clapped and watched the entire credits of a video game.) Then a strange sadness fell over me, as I realized I just finished Broken Age, and the 3 year saga is now mostly complete. I still have that new sidequest to watch, and hoping for one or two more doc episodes, and I might replay BA to get some of the achievements that I blew right past on my way to beating my head against some of the harder puzzles. (Yes, Act 2 was much harder, pleasantly so!)

So, what is next for Double Fine? Will us peasants and hangers on still get to glimpse the inner workings of this wonderful game studio? Will there be any more games using the game engine and dialogue system that you created for Broken Age? Will you do another Amnesia Fortnight with video documentaries?

Is there ANYTHING you can tell us about what you are working on, or am I going to have to find another set of forums to lurk on for fun? I will miss it here if you say no...even though I haven't posted often...

We do finally have some time to update some of our tools like 2HB in preparation for new projects. Otherwise, it's definitely too early to mention any of the projects.

I'm pretty sure there will be another Amnesia Fortnight eventually but I don't know when yet.

Other than that, stay tuned!

Tim recently confirmed (I think during the Kotaku AMA) that there WILL be another Amnesia Fortnight event and that it WILL be public again.

But like Bert said, no dates were given.

But I'm still pumped!

Psychonauts 2 would be nice.

Though it has been speculated lately that Psychonauts 2 is being made and they just keep it a secret for now. Considering that guy who made over billion of dollars by doing Minecraft, it sounds plausible. He's probably a huge fan of Psychonauts.

Psychonauts 2 would be nice.

Though it has been speculated lately that Psychonauts 2 is being made and they just keep it a secret for now. Considering that guy who made over billion of dollars by doing Minecraft, it sounds plausible. He's probably a huge fan of Psychonauts.

It's honestly difficult to say that's true. I mean, it's kinda like this:

FOR: Whenever people ask Tim to make Psychonauts 2, he usually just cracks a silly joke as he often does, but the jokes are sometimes kind of teasing/cryptic like "If only there were a large amount of money we could get somewhere...."

AGAINST: Tim has also made comments like that about other games, like Brutal Legend 2. He also really likes to tease about all kinds of things, like when people ask him to explain some aspect of a story he wrote, he seems to enjoy teasing them by reminding them that he will never ever tell them, etc.

FOR: Past exchanges between Tim/Notch have made it seem like a thing they were interested in talking about.

AGAINST: There was never any confirmation that Notch was actually going to invest in it, and even if he DID offer to invest in it, we don't know HOW MUCH or that he was offering to pay for the entire thing. There have even been a few comments from Notch / Tim suggesting (but not strictly confirming) that Notch was not actually going to be investing in Psychonauts.

People reaaally want it to happen, and so do I, there just isn't any way to know that one way or the other.

Oh man.... but if it WERE happening.... the day that Psychonauts 2 teaser hit the internet.... HYSTERIA.

Here's hoping they're finally working on Blake Lake.

That would also make me extremely happy.

I'm still pulling for Bad Golf 3.

Are fans still working on that game? I haven't heard anything about it lately. Maybe interest died down when Patrick left?

I'm still pulling for Bad Golf 3.

Are fans still working on that game? I haven't heard anything about it lately. Maybe interest died down when Patrick left?

Things slowed down a lot after the fortnight, but managed to go on for a few months. I'm still very happy to review code commits. Unfortunately at the moment, networking is a bit broken. bobsayshilol had to take the custom matchmaking server we were using offline recently. We've updated the game to not require it, but another bug has crept in which he hasn't found time to address yet.

I'm still keeping an eye out for pull requests and am happy to review/merge stuff when it appears :)

I'd like to see DF release an expansion for Creepy Treats Combat, and possibly adjust the gameplay rules so it works with >2 players.

In a twist, the protagonist of Black Lake is Raz's daughter. Psychonauts 2 confirmed.

I'd like to see DF release an expansion for Creepy Treats Combat, and possibly adjust the gameplay rules so it works with >2 players.

In a twist, the protagonist of Black Lake is Raz's daughter. Psychonauts 2 confirmed.

In a twist, the worlds of Black Lake, Dear Leader, Steed, and Little Pink Best Buds all exist and are fully playable inside the minds of NPCs in Psychonauts 2.

Psychonauts 2 confirmed.

In a twist, Double Fine and all of us are imaginary elements inside Tim's head and dreams. The actual Tim is a professional rockstar touring the world. Their second album, after their first well received album: Psychonauts 2

Psychonauts 2 confirmed.

Smiles

In a twist, Double Fine and all of us are imaginary elements inside Tim's head and dreams. The actual Tim is a professional rockstar touring the world. Their second album, after their first well received album: Psychonauts 2

Psychonauts 2 confirmed.

Smiles

Professional rockstar? Does he wear the belt of Ormagöden?

Psychonauts 2 confirmed.

Smiles

Professional rockstar? Does he wear the belt of Ormagöden?

It's all connected!

psychonauts-screenshot-milkman.png

Psychonauts 2, as an episodic game, make it happen!

Each level in Psychonauts worked so well on their own, so I would gladly see Double Fine making more of them separately.

Psychonauts 2, as an episodic game, make it happen!

Each level in Psychonauts worked so well on their own, so I would gladly see Double Fine making more of them separately.

I don't think Psychonauts 2 should be episodic unless it was determined to be a compatible format; it should not be episodic for the sake of making it episodic.

I would prefer just one whole game like before, but if they wanted to do some kind of episodic story-focused spin off like Tales From The Borderlands (e.g. Tales From Whispering Rock), then I would be super cool with that.

In a perfect world, another Amnesia Fortnight and Costume Quest 3.

In reality, port of Day of the Tentacle.

I can't tell if you're trying to be mean spirited about DOTT or not, but I do hope not.

The good news is that they are doing another public AF, so you get one of your wishes.

In reality, port of Day of the Tentacle.

If you weren't aware, this is already happening (although it's getting "Special Edition" treatment rather than a straight port to modern platforms) :D

I'm definitely in favour of Psychonauts 2 (as is the rest of the universe) and also a Special Edition for Full Throttle.

That said, I also look forward to the next time DF announces a brand new franchise. I'll be curious about the characters and their personalities, the game's story and setting, and which genre(s) the game falls into. I remember looking forward to Broken Age for those reasons.

How they haven't been pile driven into the ground with money to make a sequel to Psychonauts boggles my mind.

How they haven't been pile driven into the ground with money to make a sequel to Psychonauts boggles my mind.

We don't know. Maybe since Majesco published them last time, they were working with Majesco on it again, and maybe that was the one that Majesco failed to deliver on, resulting in the layoffs, which would be sad on pretty much every possible level.

Or maybe that's the other secret thing they're all working on right now that we don't know about.

Or maybe it's Black Lake.

Or maybe Brazen!

Or maybe Psychonauts 2: Psychobugaloo

We don't know. Maybe since Majesco published them last time, they were working with Majesco on it again, and maybe that was the one that Majesco failed to deliver on, resulting in the layoffs, which would be sad on pretty much every possible level.

I may need to rewatch DFA! episode 19, but I belive the game Majesco couldn't pay for was Costume Quest 2 (Midnight City was a subgroup of Majesco, if I remember correctly), which was in addition to the canceled game for the unnamed publisher.

I may need to rewatch DFA! episode 19, but I belive the game Majesco couldn't pay for was Costume Quest 2 (Midnight City was a subgroup of Majesco, if I remember correctly), which was in addition to the canceled game for the unnamed publisher.

I'm hazy on the details, but what you said sounds right. Still, whoever the other publisher was, maybe that was the project. We just don't know.

Isn't Tim's standard answer that he always likes to try new things and though the idea of a sequel to, say, Full Throttle is cool, if he had made that then he probably wouldn't have made Grim Fandango?

Isn't Tim's standard answer that he always likes to try new things and though the idea of a sequel to, say, Full Throttle is cool, if he had made that then he probably wouldn't have made Grim Fandango?

Usually, but they now have at least one sequel on record (Costume Quest 2), and they were GOING to make a Brutal Legend 2 before it got cancelled. And he has said multiple times he would do Psychonauts 2 or Brutal 2.

Why does everyone always want sequels of stuff. I'd rather see new amazing games that I could not imagine coming up with myself!

Come one guys this is double fine not EAsports.

But we've had pirates, tentacles, time-travel, bikers, metal, psychedelic mind travelling, doll stacking, halloween, coming of age, mexican day of the dead.

What would be a logical follow up on that...

I'd say Opera Cowboys during an ice age struggling with inner inuit spritual mayhem

Sign in to follow this