Sign in to follow this  
jansenjfa

Easter Eggs?

Are there any easter eggs in act 2? I know the low res option still works, but I can't count that ;)

I tried looking through the pile of Harm'ny's junk expecting to see a classic max head or something, but I didn't notice anything that was a reference.

I tried looking through the pile of Harm'ny's junk expecting to see a classic max head or something, but I didn't notice anything that was a reference.

There are some easter eggs, but it's been a few weeks now since I beat the game, so I don't remember them all. Speaking of Harm'ny's junk pile, though, there IS an easter egg there. It's not from another game, though. One of the items in the junk pile is "Redbot", which is a red robot made out of cubes. Redbot was a stand-in character created by Oliver Franzke that he used to test the game engine as it was being built, before any art or assets had been created for the game. Redbot acquired some fans among the backers, and later Oliver pitched a game starring Redbot (I believe it was "Redbot's Revenge") at the last Amnesia Fortnight event. So the redbot on Harm'ny's junk pile is a little inside joke that only backers will get.

Another possible easter egg is when Alex and Shay meet for the first time, and one of them says, "Are you... me?? From the future???" This line is also an inside joke for backers. After Act 1 came out, a lot of the backers started posting their theories about what was happening in the story and what would happen in Act 2. One of the most common theories was that Alex was actually Shay from the future or some idea along those lines. So that joke was deliberately included as a wink to the backers. (At first, it was only speculated that this was deliberate, but Anna seemed to confirm in the last DF Game Club that the line was added as an intentional joke about fan speculation, so that's fun.) =]

Also there is the "Eh, eh-eh, eh eh, eh-eh" achievement, which is an easter egg that alludes to Psychonauts.

Also, there is the fact that Alex's ship navigates by music and is filled with musical instruments. Alex is of course voiced by Alex Rigopulous, one of the founders and former CEO of Harmonix, which is famous for.... you guessed it.... music/rhythm games.

There are probably a couple more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Also, there is the fact that Alex's ship navigates by music...

It would have been cool if they would have included more music related stuff other than the return to previous area pattern and the "Prima Doom" pattern on the wall, something more interactive in Loom style.

If you follow Lee Petty on twitter, you'll see that there were some cut musical puzzles:

I'm a little glad there weren't too many sound puzzles. I'm pretty much tone deaf and the piano puzzle in Myst was *way* harder for me than most other people.

Sign in to follow this