Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PONTO

Grandpa Beastender's voice [slight spoilers]

It seems to me that from the moment when Vella's family enters Alex's spaceship, there are no more new lines spoken by grandpa beastender. They all seem to be grunts from previous scenes... That's true even in the ending cutscene! It got me wondering if there was some trouble with the voice recordings. Has anyone noticed this?

Something similar happens with Levina - her only line in act 2 is recycled from act 1. That is however understandable, as it wouldn't make sense to recast the actress for such a brief appearance.

I thought he did have a few new lines on the space ship. Isn't that where he explains how he got his cane back from the Whoops-a-Birdie guard after it fell through the clouds?

I don't think it's really uncommon in game development to re-use assets like that. I mean, some are made to be repeated (like the whoops and shouts Mario makes when he jumps). Dialogue is only meant to be used once, but when it comes to short snips of dialogue, such as stuff like "ugh" and "yeah" and "no" and "mm hmm" and "(sigh)" and "what?" and other such tiny utterances, it's not really that uncommon to use them in more than one place.

If you watch the most recent Devs Play, where Igarushi talks about Alucard's lines in Castlevania, he points out that one of the places at the beginning of the game where Alucard says "What?" is actually a snip from a later line of dialogue toward the end of the game where he says "What?" before another line.

Its actually Rocky who explains how Brommel Beastender got his cane back. Brommel does have one line when he enters the ship but yeah I think the rest of his dialog is grunts and a satisfied "hmm". During gameplay he is paired with Vella's parents and altogether they don't have a lot to say since they are not involved with any of the puzzle solving.

I suspect all of Brommel's dialog was probably recorded during one session with the actor and it is possible they decided to write more lines around him after that session and thus ended up using existing lines. Or maybe they just thought it was better for his tough-guy character if he kept his dialog to a minimum.

Sign in to follow this