Sign in to follow this  
liquidsnakehpks

Broken age sales numbers ?

I noticed that the witcher 3 guys announced recently that their game has already had more than 1 million pre order sales , how about broken age ? i forgot to notice the top sellers thing on the steam store on the day the game launched on steam. Do we have any numbers ? the game seems to have gotten great reviews

do checking the stats of number of people playing the game on steam provide a accurate number of sales ?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-exceeds-1-million-pre-orders/1100-6427243/

I'm sure the documentary will probably cover that stuff in the final episode. The episode that covered the shipping of Act 1 included the sales information up to that point.

Steam numbers wouldn't count tablet installs, and from what I've heard anecdotally, some players are playing Broken Age with their kids on tablets.

From what I've seen, I don't think Act II was a huge hit at launch on Steam, unfortunately. That probably has to do with the fact that it already has been on sale a few times since Act I came out. SteamSpy is currently reporting something around 253,000 owners, 90,000 of which are - of course - probably backers.

It seemed to do a lot better on the Mac App Store and iOS App Store, where it was featured as 'Editor's Choice' and made it into the top 4 of Top Paid Apps in the games category. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find interesting stuff in Apple's App Stores, however, so now that it isn't featured prominently anymore, it's on its way out of the top 100.

I wonder how it's doing on Playstation!

I can't say a thing about iPad sales, but Android sales seem to be relatively poor. Play-store shows it statics of 500-1000 installations. In contrast Grim Fandango has 1000-5000 and the Cave has 10000-50000 installs.

When part 2 was relesed, I did check Steam stats and BA didn't manage to break in top 10. It was in top 100 for a while, but dropped from there in a couple of days I recall.

Since BA also shipped physically, the cut that Doublefine gets from that will also eventually be factored into the global sales picture.

One of the things BA has going for it, is that I think it will always be a decent back catalog pick-up for new people.

Smiles

Since BA also shipped physically, the cut that Doublefine gets from that will also eventually be factored into the global sales picture.

One of the things BA has going for it, is that I think it will always be a decent back catalog pick-up for new people.

Smiles

Definitely this. Broken Age is one of those titles that have a LONG SHELF stability and even 5 years from now will still see strong sales more compared to something that needs to hit HUGE at the time or people move on. It's art style and game play will still be of the toppest quality for a long time and not have much new ways of doing things that people will not look to it.

My perception is that the Steam sales from the release of Act 2 are pretty marginal. Maybe a few tens of thousands. Someone already mentioned SteamSpy, which shows an 8-10% increase in ownership after the Act 2 release (in the neighborhood of 20,000 sales).

I think the way Act 2 launched on Steam didn't do the game any favors. It got press coverage but almost no Steam frontpage support. Since Act 1 was released as a complete product, with Act 2 as a free update, the only front page placement it got was in the 'Recently Updated' section. Just looking at Steam, it was hard to know what had changed. Had Broken Age launched as Early Access with the full release upon Act 2 shipping, it would've gotten better placement in the New Releases section and possibly front page banner ads. Early Access was still new when these decisions were made, so I'm not sure there's any way they could've known how not going Early Access would affect the push from Steam for the game.

I suspect that if Broken Age goes on sale during the Steam Summer Sale AND people know/realize that the game is finished now then it will move some additional units.

Smiles

Definitely this. Broken Age is one of those titles that have a LONG SHELF stability and even 5 years from now will still see strong sales more compared to something that needs to hit HUGE at the time or people move on. It's art style and game play will still be of the toppest quality for a long time and not have much new ways of doing things that people will not look to it.

Dude it's not even in the top one hundred on steam. Its legs didn't last five weeks never mind 5 years.

Broken Age is one of those titles that have a LONG SHELF stability and even 5 years from now will still see strong sales more compared to something that needs to hit HUGE at the time or people move on.
I haven't heard any Broken Age numbers but that's generally true of our games. We don't have the biggest marketing so we rely on word of mouth and sales meaning it takes time to get the games into people's hands.

I don't think I like the existence of SteamSpy. It seems to give a lot of people ideas about what's going on with games that are not necessarily true, because SteamSpy views the game through a kinda narrow window and provides zero context. And also, I think there is a general lack of understanding of how to interpret stats.

The same thing happened when CQ2 came out. People started looking at SteamSpy and seeing that CQ1's stats showed over twice the sales of CQ2, but they weren't taking into consideration number of non-Steam platforms, length of time both games had been on the market (CQ1 had been out for years and CQ2 just a couple months), or the fact that CQ2 had only ever sold at full price so far whereas CQ1 had been in numerous bundles and sales. (More copies owned does not necessarily tell you anything about how much more money one game made than another, because prices lower over time, and also sales.)

I don't like that SteamSpy makes the consumer feel like an economics expert and then go around making statements about "how well game X sold" all over the place, which is in essence spreading a message about the supposed success of the game. Based entirely on SteamSpy, which doesn't show the full picture, nor does it explain the limited picture it does show.

Dude it's not even in the top one hundred on steam. Its legs didn't last five weeks never mind 5 years.

A large contingent of video game players mostly play games that have been out for a while, and sometimes I am one of those people. Very little about the game suggests that it won't be enjoyable for new people to stumble on in the future -- it isn't a genre or series game that people might skip over middle titles for when looking at previously released games.

Moreover, with the expanding amount of services and platforms it is on (a la from Steam to GOG and their new platform to mobile, etc) that is a pretty large reach.

Smiles

I don't think I like the existence of SteamSpy.

I don't think I need to requote your whole thing... but one of Doublefine's main contemporaries, allies, and partners in this US divvision of offering up something new and different and also long shelf life and multiple platforms making Steamspy completely unreliable... Wadjeteye did a blog on how Steamspy is truly a mess because it makes the average gamer think they actually know how well or not well a company and its games are doing.

Dave Gilbert would be getting letters from folks concerned over the most recent game because of what Steamspy revealed to them and it turned out the stats didn't actually reflects the numbers from a financial standpoint and also other places the game sold and things that Steamspy didn't gather info on.

I'm guessing the same completely applies to Broken Age.

We don't get a really great grasp on sales numbers across the board until around a month out, but we're really pleased with how it's doing! PlayStation and iOS sales were particularly strong at Act 2 launch! Hoping to eventually share a bit more insight into how sales have gone down the road once things have settled out. And hoping to keep getting those nice features and good reviews!!

I don't think I like the existence of SteamSpy.

I don't think I need to requote your whole thing... but one of Doublefine's main contemporaries, allies, and partners in this US divvision of offering up something new and different and also long shelf life and multiple platforms making Steamspy completely unreliable... Wadjeteye did a blog on how Steamspy is truly a mess because it makes the average gamer think they actually know how well or not well a company and its games are doing.

Dave Gilbert would be getting letters from folks concerned over the most recent game because of what Steamspy revealed to them and it turned out the stats didn't actually reflects the numbers from a financial standpoint and also other places the game sold and things that Steamspy didn't gather info on.

I'm guessing the same completely applies to Broken Age.

Yes, that blog post is well worth a read. It's here if anyone's interested.

We don't get a really great grasp on sales numbers across the board until around a month out, but we're really pleased with how it's doing! PlayStation and iOS sales were particularly strong at Act 2 launch! Hoping to eventually share a bit more insight into how sales have gone down the road once things have settled out. And hoping to keep getting those nice features and good reviews!!

This is great to hear!

Make a profit! I demand it!

I've never heard anyone say "shut up and take my money" quite like that before!

How can I bother them with endless emails, demanding that they make more games, if they don't make a profit? I need this demand to be met before I can present my next series of demands!

How can I bother them with endless emails, demanding that they make more games, if they don't make a profit? I need this demand to be met before I can present my next series of demands!

SPOON FEED DELICIOUS VIDEO GAME GOODNESS DIRECTLY INTO OUR MOUTHS! I WANNA GET DOUBLE FAT ON DOUBLE FINE!

**An intravenous double fine drip may also suffice.

I just want to add my voice to the chorus in hoping that Broken Age sells well enough that they make a profit and decide to make another game like it! I had some issues with finishing Broken Age (which I think was more the fault of my rapidly aging iPad rather then the game itself) and now I'm hooked! I've bought Grim Fandango Remastered and am chugging along on that sucker and think it's great. I have to say though that, while I'm only halfway through Grim Fandango (I think), I did like Broken Age better. The artwork and music really makes that game extra special in my book.

In any case, MAKE LOTS OF MONEY DOUBLE FINE! Add me to the group of people who hopes you make a ton of profit so you can develop and produce another gem!

Psychonauts 2.

Considering the guy who originally made an offer to fund the entire sequel now has billions of dollars thanks to Microsoft, maybe you guys should convince him if you secretly haven't already started producing Psychonauts 2.

Psychonauts 2.

Considering the guy who originally made an offer to fund the entire sequel now has billions of dollars thanks to Microsoft, maybe you guys should convince him if you secretly haven't already started producing Psychonauts 2.

fsxd9jZ.png

;-)