Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dastardly31

Getting a new PC...

The first and most important set of questions: will the PC be in the same room as the one you sleep in, and will you be leaving the PC on overnight? If the answer to both of those is 'yes', pick a different PC. That blue light will be the death of you.

Secondly, and I ask this of everyone who wants a new PC: what is it for? Is it for playing games? Presumably so, or it wouldn't cost so much, but is it going to be playing games 5-10 years down the line, or will you be thinking about a new PC before then? Are you the sort of person who has to buy the latest games as soon as they come out, or are you content to wait a few months/years?

And perhaps most critically of all - if you DO take on those three extra jobs to buy this thing, will you have any time or energy left after you get off from work to actually want to play games on it?

It seems like a decent PC - it bloody well BETTER be at that price - but I always have big reservations about spending that much money on something that'll probably be a third of the price in a few months time. If it's what you want then go for it, but if you're having any real trouble justifying it to yourself, for the love of a God I don't believe in don't do it - at least, not before looking at less expensive ones that'll let you have a social life.

The first and most important set of questions: will the PC be in the same room as the one you sleep in, and will you be leaving the PC on overnight? If the answer to both of those is 'yes', pick a different PC. That blue light will be the death of you.

Secondly, and I ask this of everyone who wants a new PC: what is it for? Is it for playing games? Presumably so, or it wouldn't cost so much, but is it going to be playing games 5-10 years down the line, or will you be thinking about a new PC before then? Are you the sort of person who has to buy the latest games as soon as they come out, or are you content to wait a few months/years?

And perhaps most critically of all - if you DO take on those three extra jobs to buy this thing, will you have any time or energy left after you get off from work to actually want to play games on it?

It seems like a decent PC - it bloody well BETTER be at that price - but I always have big reservations about spending that much money on something that'll probably be a third of the price in a few months time. If it's what you want then go for it, but if you're having any real trouble justifying it to yourself, for the love of a God I don't believe in don't do it - at least, not before looking at less expensive ones that'll let you have a social life.

It will ONLY be used for gaming, if one day I could afford it.

It just really ticked me off me when people were saying how great that GTA5 was 1080p on PS4 when it's 4K on PC.

Yes, the PC will be in the same room as the TV, I would plug it into that.

A social life is over rated.

It will ONLY be used for gaming, if one day I could afford it.

It just really ticked me off me when people were saying how great that GTA5 was 1080p on PS4 when it's 4K on PC.

Yes, the PC will be in the same room as the TV, I would plug it into that.

A social life is over rated.

You could probably save about £300 by getting the parts individually from like Amazon, or Scan or somewhere, and making the PC up yourself. Just saying.

i don't know how things work in the uk but as others have said it's generally cheaper to build yr own.

here's a site i really liked (don't know how current it is now): http://www.logicalincrements.com/

blue lights like that usually have a button that turns it off or failing that you can just find the right pin on the motherboard and pluck it out

if you don't want to build your own you can probably still just buy the parts and pay someone else to put it together and it will still be cheaper. but really, computers are super easy to put together nowadays. just find a guide online and you'll be fine. everything's keyed so it only goes in one way; it's really hard to break anything unless you push stupid hard and bend something.

What is the point of buying parts over time? By the time you've bought the last part, the first part will have already dropped in price.

Yes, buy separate parts and build the thing yourself. But don't buy them over time. Save your money until you can buy them all at once.

A lot of great and obviously passionate advice here, especially about building it myself. It has always been so intimidating the idea of building a PC yourself.

When I was a kid I was told that if you had static on anything then the whole thing will blow, and its affected me ever since...

A lot of great and obviously passionate advice here, especially about building it myself. It has always been so intimidating the idea of building a PC yourself.

When I was a kid I was told that if you had static on anything then the whole thing will blow, and its affected me ever since...

You're not completely wrong on the static thing. It CAN affect some of the more sensitive components like harddrives I believe, but really, how would you be getting static inside your computer? It's much harder than you think

I'm with the others on building your own rig. If you can at least get a solid power supply, motherboard, and CPU, then you could stretch the lifetime of your rig because those components rarely get an upgrade to such a degree that you'd need to replace them often. Things like harddrives, graphics cards, yes those you might have to swap out as technology and requirements get better and more demanding

If I were you though, I would save up a bit first and then decide what to do. Prices will fall, better things will come out in the meantime, so whatever you're looking at now might not be the best choice when you actually have the money to spend

Edit: Oh yeah, and if you go the way of DIY, a decent case also goes a long way. Those haven't changed much over the years so it's something worth investing in as well, though it doesn't have to be fancy

Building your own PC is pretty safe if you're not on carpet and ground yourself(can be done with stuff lying around the house). It can be scary the first time. Especially if it beeps at you when you first boot it. You do have to make sure all the parts are compatible which requires a fair amount of research. On the bright side, if you do decide to have a go at it, you have a lot of people here with experience at it. A good chunk of this section of the forum have built a computer before.

The first and most important set of questions: will the PC be in the same room as the one you sleep in, and will you be leaving the PC on overnight? If the answer to both of those is 'yes', pick a different PC. That blue light will be the death of you..

...Or you could unplug the chassis lights if it doesn't have a button to do so. I don't think a light is going to stop most people from buying a what? $1800 PC? There's always my best friend, electrical tape. That doesn't sound creepy at all.

if you want to go into PC building I recommend https://pcpartpicker.com/ it even checks for compatibility between parts.

Mind you, pre-built pc's more than often have cheap manufactured hardware in them. I've had static on them as well, several graphic cards fried.

Building your own PC is pretty safe if you're not on carpet and ground yourself(can be done with stuff lying around the house). It can be scary the first time. Especially if it beeps at you when you first boot it. You do have to make sure all the parts are compatible which requires a fair amount of research. On the bright side, if you do decide to have a go at it, you have a lot of people here with experience at it. A good chunk of this section of the forum have built a computer before.
The first and most important set of questions: will the PC be in the same room as the one you sleep in, and will you be leaving the PC on overnight? If the answer to both of those is 'yes', pick a different PC. That blue light will be the death of you..

...Or you could unplug the chassis lights if it doesn't have a button to do so. I don't think a light is going to stop most people from buying a what? $1800 PC? There's always my best friend, electrical tape. That doesn't sound creepy at all.

Thank you that is so kind.

I will probably, when I save up enough money, find that there's a replacement bit, and R290 is now the R340...

Something to look forward to when I win the lottery...

I built my past 2 computers on carpets/rugs without grounding myself, and they both still run fine. I wouldn't recommend it, but you probably don't need to be super stressed about it. Also, use Intel & NVidia, AMD sucks...

Also, use Intel & NVidia, AMD sucks...

For gaming, yeah. AMD can be a bit spazzy for some reason with some games. Nothing major... just that they tend to have more issues where there shouldn't be than Nvidia(which I switched to).

Sign in to follow this