Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

MASSIVE CHALICE Update #61 - Launch Date Announcement!

It’s been two years since we started on our quest for the MASSIVE CHALICE, and we’re excited to say that our journey is nearly at an end! After many months of designing, building, reading through our early access feedback, and playing the game for hours on end, we’re finally in lockdown. That means the team is in the final stages now; working purely on bug fixing, performance, and polishing things up, in between sending builds off to Microsoft for certification.

Release date!

With all that in mind then, we’re super happy to announce that MASSIVE CHALICE will be officially leaving early access and launching on June 1st, with the Xbox One version appearing around then too!

What’s new for 1.0?

Whilst we’ve got a lot of fixes and polish heading in your direction, version 1.0 won’t just be about making the game shinier, we’ve also got some final features to send your way too.

After listening to lots and lots of useful feedback on the mid to endgame, the team has spent a considerable amount of time rebalancing the game to be more fun, fair, challenging, or punishing, depending on how you look at it. Thanks to everyone who helped us with this fine tuning, we got some invaluable feedback from you guys.

Controller support for the Steam version will also appear in 1.0, enabling you to play from the comfort of your couch with the same polished control scheme and UI navigation as the Xbox One version. We’ve added achievements into the game for all those completists out there, but probably most excitingly of all we’ll also be enabling access to Backer Relics, like the one wielded by this chap below...

RcAVWGZ.jpg

Launch Day Teamstream June 1st!

We’ve had a lot of fun with the Teamstreams throughout this project, so one more for the road seemed like the right thing to do. Join us on June 1st for one final MASSIVE CHALICE Teamstream, time to be confirmed, but please do prepare for silliness.

Join us here on launch day: twitch.tv/doublefine

MASSIVE KNOWLEDGE, the series

That’s not all we have in store for launch day though! The 2 Player Productions gang have been filming the team throughout the entire development of Massive Chalice, and have produced a series highlighting the different roles of development on the project.

This series, called MASSIVE KNOWLEDGE, will give viewers a unique insight into the team that made the game, what they do, how they got here, and how you could follow in their games industry footsteps. MASSIVE KNOWLEDGE starts airing on Launch Day, huzzah!

Box design

Those who backed at a certain level will be getting a super special boxed copy of the game, with a cover designed by Cory Schmitz. We’re hoping for these to go into production later this month, so it’ll be a little while before these arrive on your doorstep, but this is what it’s going to look like.

7piTJDp.jpg?1

On the left, we have the normal box. In the middle the special slip case exclusive to Backers. Combining them both creates the special MC Backer box, seen on the right!

The Horns of Birth! A cause for celebration indeed!

Finally, I’m sure you’ll all join us in congratulating Brad and his wife Cate, who are now the proud parents of their first child and heir, Gibson! Along with the team being very much heads down finishing up the game, and the publishing team launching Broken Age and Grim Fandango mobile recently, this is a key reason for the recent quietness on our end! We promise not to shut up for a while now though.

Thanks you guys!

mbTmijc.jpg?1

nice :)

my Son is now 4 months old so i can understand why Brad is occupied :)

congrats at both ends, the game and the baby :)

Best of luck with the final push to v1.0! It's been an exciting ride, and I hope the response is strong enough to stretch it out to some post v1.0 support. THIS CHALICE IS TOO MASSIVE, YOU'LL NEVER REACH THE BOTTOM!

Game Informer and IGN had articles about the release update, and it seems a number of people didn't even know the game existed and are looking forward to picking it up -- and it seems there is a fair amount of console players looking to grab it for the Xbox1.

Smiles

Wonderful job, guys. Although I've played around 70ish hours, I actually never finished the game until this past update (last night). I though it was great, and the new balance helps a lot. I did end up with 5 level 10 heroes all with level 10 relics on hard, but this was tough to do even with the shameless savescumming I employed :D! I imagine it would take some real skill to do a perfect hard run on ironmode.

Can't wait to check out the final version.

Ahhh! I wish I had more time to play before release, but either way, I know I'm looking forward to this :D

Congarts Brad! So looking forward to the final game. Gonna be amazing. Also can't wait to chill on my couch, drink a beer and play this with my xbox controller. =D oh oh last but not least the Steam Achievements, those are gonna be awesome. Could we get a list of them maybe?

Really excited to try out the changes in 1.0

And congratulations on your new child Brad, that is really awesome to see.

Looking forward to the stream! Continued to be excited.

Smiles

So based on the comments about the backer box, will there be a boxed copy for general release?

Hello team, did i miss something?

when will the stream start today?

4:00 PM Pacific/USA Time I believe.

Smiles

Have the steam codes been sent out yet?
If you were a Kickstarter backer, they were sent out months ago via Humble Bundle - you may need to do some inbox archaeology. Everyone who backed has had access throughout most (if not all) of the Early Access/beta period.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15581/

That's entirely my point. When they hit Early Access, the team realized that it was kinda sucky for regular game-level backers to have to wait until 1.0, so they sent out all of the codes and gave everyone beta access.

I did not back at the level for early access. I was told I would a steam code at launch.

You should have got the link when the game released to Early Access to the general public. Those that backed at the level to get early access had early-early access if you will. I would double check your Humble Bundle page failing that contact DF. Maybe Spaff is the best person to PM on these message boards? http://www.doublefine.com/forums/member/219/

Congratulations!

I like this game and I like this site. Not much else to say, really.

Greetings all! Have greatly enjoyed following along the progress of this game through the team streams and of course playing the builds as they come out. Congrats on launch!

I know the launch stream only just happened and I wasn't able to view it live (Australian time zone) but the last stream or two seem to only be on Twitch while the rest are also on Youtube. Downloading multi part Twitch source streams off Australian internet is shall we say, less than enjoyable, but Youtube I can grab them at a lower res and enjoy seeing the video game process in action.

It's probably just because you have all been insanely busy actually delivering an awesome game, but if the last stream or two could be uploaded on to the DF Youtube channel it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the game and for so openly sharing the process with the backers!

Between the final release of MASSIVE CHALICE, Brad's baby, and Iron Brigade/Trenched going back into Doublefine's hand,

I'm really happy for Brad's success. Looking forward to what he'll do next, baby time permitting.... :D

Congrats to all the MASSIVE CHALICE team, past and present. You guys broght an amazing vision to life.

Keep it up! :)

Sign in to follow this