Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

As of June 1st there will be no -announced- original DF titles in development...

Which feels weird, because the last time that was the case was before the DFA Kickstarter.

Right now, all we know of is one uncancelled, unannounced project and DOTT Remastered.

Which means that for the first time in a long while we're in the exciting position of being completely unsure what DF is going to come out with next. So!

Speculate.

My guess would be one of the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes (Steed, Autonomous, Dear Leader ...)

I'd love to see a Psychonauts 2 or Full Throttle remastered.

Or some levels for Brutal Legend

(whispers:: or some extra content for SBDF-9 would be excellent too :) )

My guess would be one of the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes (Steed, Autonomous, Dear Leader ...)

I'd love to see a Psychonauts 2 or Full Throttle remastered.

Or some levels for Brutal Legend

(whispers:: or some extra content for SBDF-9 would be excellent too :) )

Didn't they release Autonomous already? Only it was a special project for that weird hand-waving controller thing that I forget the name of?

My speculations/hopes are telling me that maybe there is something going on related to.....

--Black Lake

--Brazen (perhaps unlikely since Brad is on Massive Chalice right now)

--Psychonauts (a boy can dream)

SOME OTHER TOTALLY COOL THING THAT WE DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT THAT'S GOING TO BLOW OUR MINDS

(Honorary mention: Bad Golf 4)

I'm fairly sure there will be another AF very shortly after the Massive Chalice release. But I think the next project some of these people move onto will have to come from prior AFs, if it's to get going on time.

The current unannounced project may well be something from AF but difficult to say what. Unlikely to be LPBB unless they've kept that a very big secret, unlikely to be Dear Leader as Anna's been on Broken Age, or Steed because John Bernhelm left and was on Massive Chalice before that, so that leaves:

Mnemonic

The White Birch

Black Lake

Where I'm not sure what the leads of those have been up to. I think Levi has been on Broken Age, though?

My guess, then, would be either Mnemonic or something completely new.

I'm fairly sure there will be another AF very shortly after the Massive Chalice release. But I think the next project some of these people move onto will have to come from prior AFs, if it's to get going on time.

The current unannounced project may well be something from AF but difficult to say what. Unlikely to be LPBB unless they've kept that a very big secret, unlikely to be Dear Leader as Anna's been on Broken Age, or Steed because John Bernhelm left and was on Massive Chalice before that, so that leaves:

Mnemonic

The White Birch

Black Lake

Where I'm not sure what the leads of those have been up to. I think Levi has been on Broken Age, though?

My guess, then, would be either Mnemonic or something completely new.

Other than Broken Age and Massive Chalice, it sounds like there were at least two other projects going on. One of those is the one that got cancelled, but there is one other one that we don't know anything about. (Remember from the last episodes of the doc that Lee was moved off of Broken Age to another project, and Levi was working on this other project, too. Matt Hansen also mentioned they couldn't pull people off of [project name redacted] to work on Broken Age at the end of its development.)

So there is at least ONE game we don't know anything about happening right now. It may or may not be a game from a past Amnesia Fortnight.

I say Black Lake because it was implied in the past that someone was interested in picking that up. I think (but don't remember for sure) that was Midnight City, but some THINGS happened with Majesco/Midnight City that cast doubts on whether that is true. But maybe? Or maybe that was the one that got cancelled. In which case eff life, because I am Black Lake fan #1.

I say Brazen because, even though it wasn't an AF game, they did sort of get some PR going for it by releasing the demo level and having people play it and get excited about it. It's possible that getting that out to the public and demonstrating some interest in it could have been enough to tantalize a publisher partner of one size or another.

I say Psychonauts because who knows? Maybe some combination of Notch + other partners DID get worked out. But mostly because WANT.

But my strongest feeling is that this will most likely be a new thing we don't know about yet.

I say Brazen because, even though it wasn't an AF game, they did sort of get some PR going for it by releasing the demo level and having people play it and get excited about it. It's possible that getting that out to the public and demonstrating some interest in it could have been enough to tantalize a publisher partner of one size or another.

Brazen is a product of the AF done in 2011--the same AF that spawned Costume Quest and Once Upon a Monster. All three were released as a bonuses for purchasers of AF 2012.

Yes, the at-least-one-game you mentioned is the one I was speculating about above :)

I don't think anything is happening with Psychonauts right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was an announcement before the end of the year of some kind.

I doubt anything is happening with Brazen with Brad 100% on Massive Chalice and children lately. Also I just can't see them trying the publisher route with it after shopping it around for so long.

I'm pretty sure Lee Petty is currently leading a new project, since he had to leave Broken Age a few months before release and I think I've seen him mention on Twitter that he was writing a design doc. I've always thought Black Lake was the cancelled project (I don't think Levi has worked on Broken Age Act II, as we haven't seen him in the documentary for a long time), but the question is if they've been able to continue development on it or not. Tim's comments in the documentary about the publisher's producer hoping he would get to play it at one point seems to suggest it is possible at least legally.

I'm also thinking that Broken Age and Massive Chalice wrapping up around the same time is way too convenient to be a coincidence. Tim has said that he may want to try a more systems-driven experience next, so Brad being a designer on Tim's next project would be a possibility.

Due to the project cancellation I'm having a hard time guessing what Double Fine will be doing next. We know they're working on DoTT; my money is on a new original title by Lee Petty (something like Headlander); a small mobile game with Pen Ward (in collaboration with Dracogen); and a top down RTS game by Tim (maybe based in Brutal Legend's world, with Jack Black returning as Eddie Riggs). But I actually hope that Black Lake was the cancelled project and that it's still in production.

I'm still clinging to a small desperate hope that Double Fine will make a The Cave 2. It's such a great concept that just screams of potential to be iterated on.

I'm still clinging to a small desperate hope that Double Fine will make a The Cave 2. It's such a great concept that just screams of potential to be iterated on.

Without Ron?!?!

I'm pretty sure Lee Petty is currently leading a new project, since he had to leave Broken Age a few months before release and I think I've seen him mention on Twitter that he was writing a design doc

They had worked on the Lee's concept "Headlander" for a while, which is a Amnesia proposal last time that didn't get supported by the community, but which was decently far along since they were actually shopping around the concept to publishers back at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U7mOu3_fJM

Smiles

I agree it's been a long time since things have been this quiet!

I can at least confirm right now that as the rising tides of hardware swell, our next game will not be releasing for TRS-80 or Mattel's Intellivision (sorry, guys!).

I can at least confirm right now that as the rising tides of hardware swell, our next game will not be releasing for TRS-80 or Mattel's Intellivision (sorry, guys!).

No comment on potential TI-80 version though.

hqdefault.jpg

Without Ron?!?!

Yep. I think that it would. The game's concept and framework is set, and it doesn't rely on a certain set of characters, but could and should just introduce new ones. Not sure if anyone at DF has any interest in it, but I would play a sequel.

Oh, damnit. Time for an upgrade then I guess. I wonder if a GTX970 would feel like step up from an Intellevision.

Oh, damnit. Time for an upgrade then I guess. I wonder if a GTX970 would feel like step up from an Intellevision.

Sigh. My parents bought me a Casio. =\

Sigh. My parents bought me a Casio. =\

LOL, isn't that like the ATI cards of calculators? :)

so that leaves:

Mnemonic

The White Birch

Black Lake

The exact same three games I enjoyed most from Amnesia Fortnight, so I hope this is true and at least one of them is in the works!

Mnemonic seems like the kind of project that could get funding from somewhere that has a vested interest in VR. It's such a smart, moody, experiential game - perfect for Vive or Morpheus. (Or indeed Oculus and that fat Facebook cash.)

Super curious what systems-based game Tim will be dreaming up as his next project.

Mnemonic seems like the kind of project that could get funding from somewhere that has a vested interest in VR. It's such a smart, moody, experiential game - perfect for Vive or Morpheus. (Or indeed Oculus and that fat Facebook cash.)

Super curious what systems-based game Tim will be dreaming up as his next project.

I admittedly haven't played Mnemonic; is it something that could be played with the LEAP controller in addition to a VR headset? Or is that a combo better suited to Autonomous?

From memory I don't actually see Mnemonic working so well in 3D because I think a lot of the puzzles relied on perspective tricks and things which would be broken if you looked at them in 3D like on a headset.

But I'd certainly be interested in an expanded version of that proof of concept that seemed so successful to me.

It's not really a LEAPy game. It's very much an atmospheric first person adventure gamey type thing but very different to point and click style puzzles.

From memory I don't actually see Mnemonic working so well in 3D because I think a lot of the puzzles relied on perspective tricks and things which would be broken if you looked at them in 3D like on a headset.

But I'd certainly be interested in an expanded version of that proof of concept that seemed so successful to me.

It's not really a LEAPy game. It's very much an atmospheric first person adventure gamey type thing but very different to point and click style puzzles.

Wasn't Oculus support tested for Mnemonic during AF? Maybe it was just mentionned. I don't think stereoscopic vision would spoil the puzzles because your brain resolves two images into one. Maybe it'd be more challenging to code the appopriate places where the game knows you're seeing what it wants you to see, but I think if anything it would be better with VR. :)

LEAP can be used for 3D manipulation but I wouldn't want to move through a 3D world using it, I don't think.

The brain resolves 2 2D images into one -3D- image, and to my mind that's the problem. A lot of the games puzzles rely on using tricks of perspective in order to create shapes and images out of disparate elements of the environment, and that trick works much better when you are viewing a 2D image.

To test this, hold one finger vertically closer to your eyes and the other a bit further away so you are creating a vertical 'line' out of both fingers. The illusion becomes obvious that it's not a continuous line with both eyes open, but with one eye closed its easy to imagine they are just one continuous line.

The brain resolves 2 2D images into one -3D- image, and to my mind that's the problem. A lot of the games puzzles rely on using tricks of perspective in order to create shapes and images out of disparate elements of the environment, and that trick works much better when you are viewing a 2D image.

To test this, hold one finger vertically closer to your eyes and the other a bit further away so you are creating a vertical 'line' out of both fingers. The illusion becomes obvious that it's not a continuous line with both eyes open, but with one eye closed its easy to imagine they are just one continuous line.

My understanding is that oculus rift essentially just uses stereoscopic imaging to create the illusion of 3D, though. It's not the same thing as ACTUAL 3D vision, which is what you would be using to view your fingers. So that test doesn't exactly hold up. Stereoscopic 3D still has certain limitations. For example, one of the things your own eyes/brain do in actual 3D vision is the ability to focus on objects at different fields of depth (focus on the foreground finger and the background finger is blurry, and vice versa). I don't think the oculus rift is able to simulate focus that way. The puzzles in pnemonic are---to my recollection---mostly perspective tricks where you use one object as a foreground and another object as a background. If the oculus rift doesn't simulate focus, then one of the objects wouldn't become blurry when looking at the other object, so you could still basicallly get the same effect, despite the illusion of three dimensions.

And even if the oculus did work like our eyes in your finger test, then maybe to solve a mnemonic puzzle you could just close one eye like in your finger test. ;-)

Right, I understand your point KestrelPi but like AAIA says, without a simulated depth of field Mnemonic's visual tricks could work very well in 3D. It's hard to picture for sure.

Worst case scenario, close one eye when you're narrowing in on a puzzle. ;p

It doesn't simulate focus but it does simulate the two image sources, which is the source of the inherent problem:

If you try the finger experiment and look through one eye and then the other you will find that the relative position of one finger to the other changes. This is the phenomenon the eye uses to resolve 3d depth and that the rift uses to simulate depth in 2 images where there is no real depth, and so even taking focus out of the equation, an effect in 2d that would for example make 2 poles at different distances look like one continuous pole would not work as well in simulated 3d

Release Schedule:

Middle Manager of Justice 2 - The Peter Principle - iOS - 6/31/15

Psychonauts 1.5 - The adventures of Mr. Pokeylope - 6/31/15

Brütal Legend 2 - The Revenge of Kabbage Boy - Gameboy Advance - 9/31/15

Steed: A neigh-bor in need - Ouya - 9/31/15

Ron Gilbert Presents Monkey Island 3 - IBM/Tandy - 11/31/15

It doesn't simulate focus but it does simulate the two image sources, which is the source of the inherent problem:

If you try the finger experiment and look through one eye and then the other you will find that the relative position of one finger to the other changes. This is the phenomenon the eye uses to resolve 3d depth and that the rift uses to simulate depth in 2 images where there is no real depth, and so even taking focus out of the equation, an effect in 2d that would for example make 2 poles at different distances look like one continuous pole would not work as well in simulated 3d

Just close one eye. ;-)

Sign in to follow this