Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smiles

The curiously ordinary desire of Tim Schafer, via Polygon

A nice article. Love the full screen Broken Age art in there.

*hat tip to bagel*

Also, Gabe & Tycho briefly discuss Broken Age (but not much) and Tim (to a greater extent) in the most recent Penny Arcade podcast (i.e. Season 5, "Gavinophilia").

http://www.penny-arcade.com/podcasts/show/dlc/season/5

It's sort of a weird conversation. The thing that I thought was the MOST weird was how strongly Gabe/Mike asserts that he does not like Tim/DF games, when I distinctly remember an old post from way back then where Tycho explains that Gabe/Mike apparently liked Psychonauts an incredible amount. Note well: http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2005/07/25/doldrums

Tycho/Jerry seems to really like Tim/DF games (despite his comments about doo-dad collecting in the above linked post), because it's sort of his personality to be really intrigued by things that are quirky and off the beaten path, but there is this whole other weird conversation about the encounters he's had with Tim in the past, and how it was an occasional friendly acquaintanceship, but then after that Brutal Legend post and comic things got weird...

But in Tim's defense, as much as I usually like Penny Arcade, and as much as my opinions tend to be very similar to Tycho/Jerry's a lot of the time, I ALSO wanted to give him the finger when he made that post about Brutal Legend. He clearly did not understand what he was doing at all. Admittedly, the game could have had more tutorials/training to explain to players how to approach the battles, but Jerry/Tycho essentially asserted that the game was a broken mess, when the real problem was that he fundamentally failed to understand how to play it, trapped as he seemingly was by his own ingrained genre knowledge. He seemed incapable of grasping or unwilling to accept that in order to win in this game, you would have to utilize both real-time strategy AND direct combat. Apparently in Tycho's universe, genres stay on their own corner of the plate, and never shall the two meet! Like a person complaining that his corn should not touch his mashed potatoes or he isn't going to eat them. I found then, and still find, his zealous insistence that BL needs to be one thing or the other completely baffling. There is a fair criticism to be found in what he experienced, but the actual shape his criticism took smacks of a person who frankly does not understand and does not want to put forth the effort to understand. Given the similarly petty reason he gave for never finishing Psychonauts, I am guessing there may be a trend here. Note that in an earlier post he admitted to not being good at or especially liking the RTS genre: http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2009/10/14/garbled-for-your-protection

In Psychonauts' case, he admitted to quitting the game not because of a fault with the game, but with a fault with his own psychological ticks. Yet he is not willing to entertain such a possibility for BL. Hmmm.

As a person who played and greatly enjoyed Brutal Legend, that reactionary post/comic to Tim's explanation of BL's gameplay *really* annoyed me. If I had seen Jerry/Tycho that day, I would have given him the finger, too, despite typically liking him otherwise.

In complete truth, at the time I found Tim's response inadequate. It was basically a post telling people they were playing the game wrong, when it's the game's job to teach them how to play right.

I actually found the stage battles quite fun and entertaining, but only when I realised that the rally flag ability you can pick up makes them so much easier it almost feels necessary, but the game does nothing much to highlight their importance. So I'm not surprised that a lot of people quit after banging their head against this (poorly promoted, by EA) section of the gameplay a few too many times.

It was a failure of EA to allow them to promote that part of the game as heavily as they should, a failure of Double Fine to appropriately tutorialise the stage battles which really did need it, and in 3rd place... way back, a failure of certain players to give a slightly unique-for-triple-A mechanic a bit more of a chance.

Yeah, there are criticisms there about the tutorialization, which is what I was trying to acknowledge. But what else would you have DF do in that situation other than explain how the battles work for the people who need it? What would you have considered adequate?

The heart of my point is:

A) This is not the first game to ever do a genre hybrid

B) This is not the first game with inadequate in-game tutorials (though honestly I got along fine)

Honestly, you know who SHOULD have helped address it? EA. Do you think perhaps they left him hanging out to dry on that one a bit? At least he tried to address it. I understand there are criticisms about tutorialization, but when a developer tries to respond (without any assistance from their publisher, naturally), I don't think the appropriate reaction to the developer's attempt to clarify is to call them jackasses and give them the finger, which is basically what PA did.

I understand the criticisms, but I do not understand the vitriol. Especially since the inspiration for the vitriol was not the actual game but the fact that Tim tried to clarify. You're welcome, internet! Hope to help you again sometime! You're always so pleasant!

In complete truth, at the time I found Tim's response inadequate. It was basically a post telling people they were playing the game wrong, when it's the game's job to teach them how to play right.

I actually found the stage battles quite fun and entertaining, but only when I realised that the rally flag ability you can pick up makes them so much easier it almost feels necessary, but the game does nothing much to highlight their importance. So I'm not surprised that a lot of people quit after banging their head against this (poorly promoted, by EA) section of the gameplay a few too many times.

It was a failure of EA to allow them to promote that part of the game as heavily as they should, a failure of Double Fine to appropriately tutorialise the stage battles which really did need it, and in 3rd place... way back, a failure of certain players to give a slightly unique-for-triple-A mechanic a bit more of a chance.

There was a definite lack of tutorials. I basically lucked my way through the battles without ever really understanding what I was doing. I was shocked when the first battle appeared, too. I was like, "woah, this is a completely different game".

It's a shame because, if we'd been able to learn how to get better at that part of the game, it could have been fun, but there was just a total disconnect between the two aspects of the game.

I'm sorry that I turned this into a ten-thousand-year-old-complaints-about-brutal-legend thread -.-

Nice article, with a nice showcase of the artwork. I especially like those transparent sprites of Vella and Shay. If you put them together, you can make it look like she's comforting him:

tumblr_inline_noq7pxysQ11sqiope_540.png

There, there.

Also, the image file of the Walt'r and Ch't one says 'preener greeters'. I felt I should share that.

Read the post in the comments about marketing research, it's so interesting.

Tried to log into polygon to reply to an ignorant commenter, but ran into this:

1. username/pass didn't work

2. Click "forgot" to have it emailed. Type in email. "We don't have a username/pass for that email."

3. Check my email history. Find email from polygon from 7/7/13 with confirmation link for my username/pass.

4. Try signing up again using that email address. "That email address is already registered to a user."

That email isn't registered, but I can't register it because it's already registered? Oh, Polygon. What a mess.

Oh well. Shouldn't reply to ignorant commenters anyway.

Thanks Anemone for the reminder not to read the comments! I thoroughly enjoyed both articles. It's a shame that DF hasn't had a huge hit yet, but yeah, the games that do came out certainly resonate deeply with some people and stay in their minds for quite sometime. Hell, Psychonauts came out 10 frickin' years ago and I still get to give my spare copies to my friends, all without worrying about it not holding up.

It would have been nice if Psychonauts had been a hit, but it's not to shabby that it went on to become such a cult classic.

So happy that it was made at the perfect time, where the graphics were good enough to not age badly. It would have been much worse if it had been made for PS1 or the PC's back then. Now it still looks and feel great :).

Did my share when it comes to sales at least.

*My first copy, on CD's, was ordered to Sweden from USA.

*Then I bought a DVD version when I could in Sweden.

*Then I bought an old copy of the XBOX version.

*Then in a Steam sale.

*Then as part of Humble Bundles to get a DRM free copy.

It's really only the XBOX version that wasn't of any real use for me of those.

Sign in to follow this