Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chickenmonger

Anyone else feel like they haven't paid *enough* for the DF games they own?

I am contemplating getting the Iron Brigade four pack, despite only having a few Steam friends and NO time to schedule multiplayer.

I got Stacking, Psychonauts, Brutal Legend and Costume Quest in the Humble Double Fine bundle, I bought Spacebase DF-9 on 66% off and got Hack n' Slash free. I made a dadjoke on Twitter and got Costume Quest 2. I bought Broken Age full price, intentionally, and Grim Fandango: Remastered on 60% off. I bought into Amnesia Fortnight 2014 for a couple bucks, and got the 2012 prototypes free.

I haven't bought Massive Chalice yet, as I'm waiting for the full release.

I feel I really haven't paid enough for my Double Fine game collection. Does anyone else feel similarly?

I don't know. I think I've bought all of my DF games at their day one full price, with a few understandable exceptions, such as when DF decided to bundle Hack'n'Slash with SBDF9 and vice versa.

I just appreciate DF as a company and what they stand for and want to support them despite whatever games they make. If they had like a Patreon type thing, I'd support them that way. They couldn't ever do anything like that, though, probably. The press (especially certain people in the press) would probably go apes*** over something like that.

The only DF games I underpaid for were Stacking and Costume Quest (got them through the Humble DF Bundle). I paid full Steam price for BL, The Cave, CQ2, SBDF9, HnS, BA (backer), GF:re, and Psychonauts (technically paid for this 3 times, since I bought a disc version during first release, once on Steam, and once in the DF Bundle), so I don't have any qualms with the amount total I've paid for their games. I also spread the DF love by giving away Steam codes for BL, Psychonauts, HnS, and SBDF9 due to already having the games. The only game I haven't bought is Massive Chalice and haven't played is Iron Brigade, being that it's (currently) Windows only.

Not really, bought Psychonauts 4 times, most of their other games day 1 (except Costume Quest which doesn't appeal to me, and their Kinect titles), and I'm a $100 backer of both Broken Age and Massive Chalice.

I've got disposable income that I gladly use to support developers I like, and I would gladly support DF even more then this, if they create good opportunities for it. I rather pay a lot for titles that I really want to support then trying to get as many titles as possible for my money, but it has to be in a way that makes sense.

Broken Age is perhaps the only case where I felt I should have paid even more, but the step up to the art book was a bit too much for me.

While I got some of my DF games from Humble bundles, I've also bought multiple of them multiple times, and also sponsored both public AFs above base level and bought documentary separately, so I guess it evens out a bit.

Pretty sure the only time I've ever actually given money to DF was when I bought Costume Quest... which I got on discount during a Steam sale.

I own quite a few DF titles on Steam, but everything other than Costume Quest was a Christmas or birthday present, and the ones I got for Christmas were likely on sale at the time (because, y'know, Steam) so I feel like I owe the company.

I'm thinking of buying some of their soundtracks though (specifically, Grim Fandango and both Psychonauts soundtracks). And I also plan on buying DOTT:SE upon release, rather than waiting for it to go on sale. If they do a soundtrack for that I'll definitely get that too.

But yeah. With the Humble Bundles they've been involved with and the amount of Steam sales, it's no surprise some of us feel like we haven't paid enough!

Lately I've made it a habit to buy games full price on release from developers I care about, given that they launch with day-one Linux support. Buying early is important too if you want to be supportive, because many sales generate more sales, and on services like Steam, user reviews matter a lot too.

Sign in to follow this