Sign in to follow this  
AlfredJ

Will Double Fine have a presence at E3, or: predict DF's future.

So E3 is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if Double Fine had anything planned? As a reminder - the big Double Fine thing during E3 last year was Tim coming out during the Sony conference to announce Grim Remastered. With recent projects like Broken Age and Massive Chalice coming to an end, there's not much we know about what they will be working on next.

There's the Day of the Tentacle Special Edition, which might get a trailer if they're far enough (or maybe a new 'cover art', like the one Grim Remastered got, which was the first new thing we saw of that game). There is also the possibility they might say something about a Full Throttle remake (Day of the Tentacle was announced before Grim was released, right?). Beyond that? Other Lucas games? The Loom remake/sequel that Brian Moriarty wanted to make recently, which Tim responded positively to?

Other than doing something with the old Lucas catalogue, we still have some Double Fine presents titles that are coming out in the future: Gang Beasts and Last Life. I guess we could see some more of those titles (or even some new DF: Presents titles). And, although not technically a game, we might see a trailer for the Costume Quest cartoon (or, dreaming big, maybe even other DF properties turned into cartoons).

Beyond those titles the future of Double Fine is a big question mark, as far as I know. We know they're interested in doing Psychonauts and Brütal Legend 2, but we also know how difficult it is to get big-budget titles like that off the ground these days. If I had to guess I'd say that those titles are still a couple of years in our future (although I'd love to be proven wrong). I'd personally kill a small puppy to get a sequel to the Cave, but I'm not sure if that game sold enough to make that viable. It's one of my personal favorites though, and I really need more like that to play with my friends.

Anyone else have any ideas on what DF might be revealing in the near future? Maybe one of the old Amnesia Fortnight concepts turned into a full game? I think, given the troubled financial position Double Fine seems to be in, it might be a good time to cash in on some of Tim's legacy titles again - meaning a sequel to one of his classic Lucasarts games or Psycho/Brutal. I think they could do with a title that has some instant brand recognition, an although I love all the weird original IP's they throw out there, there's a real opportunity to get a larger part of the gaming community interested in what Double Fine is doing if they attach them self to a big brand name, like, for example, a Double Fine-led Monkey Island sequel. Hopefully that would lead some new fans to check out DF's other titles as well. The Sony-Disney relationship they have going on right now makes that a bigger possibility than it was in the past.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others think might be coming up with E3 around the corner - or even some confirmation from someone from DF if we should expect anything at all.

DF will be present at E3 in the hearts of gamers who love them. =D

#nottheansweryouwerelookingfor

I'd love to have an E3 announcement of a different publisher sweeping in and picking up the as-yet-unknown project whose cancellation last year led to so much heartache for all.

But sadly, I know how the games industry works for things like that. It took Brutal what, a year and a half to switch publishers from Activision to EA, and lawsuits aplenty? Ugh. :(

My prediction: They will come on during Sony's conference and present Stacking 2.

My prediction: They will come on during Sony's conference and present Stacking 2.

I would love that. Stacking was incredible - the first time I played it I loved it but couldn't really see what a sequel could add to it. Then the DLC came out and I realized that yes, you can get something worthwhile by chancing the setting, the puzzle structure and altering the vibe a bit. I'd love to see more - if only to see that concept art of the Stacking Museum of Natural History turned into a level.

They'll announce a deal with Sony to allow them to bring their IP's to the PS4, there will be a physical disc release of The DoubleFine Collection, containing 1080p60 versions of Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Stacking, Costume Quest 1 & 2, Iron Brigade and Broken Age. This mega 7 game bundle will cost just $60, pre-order bonuses will get the Amnesia Fortnight 2012 and 2014 demos. This bundle will introduce the very best of DoubleFine's creativity and experimentation over the past decade to a whole new generation of players.

NOTE: The Cave left out due to it being published by SEGA, Grim Fandango left out due to it being apart of Disney, same for Day of the Tentacle Special Edition.

NOTE 2: This is made up.

...or, dreaming big, maybe even other DF properties turned into cartoons...

This is an interesting idea; this could provide an easy and/or cheap alternative to creating and releasing a sequel to Psychonauts. A chronicling of Raz's missions as a Psychonaut? The pilot could pick up right where the game leaves off.

I don't think their next announcement would be a sequel. During the last teamstream Brad said that they don't tend to do sequels which I am not sure he would have said if he knew they were working on another sequel right now. But if it IS something sequelly, I would guess psychonauts related

I think (well, hope) that a release date for Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition will be announced.

Beyond that, I have no idea what to expect. Maybe that unannounced project teased in the Broken Age documentary will be shown?

It might not be likely to happen, but I would like DF to do something with Sam and Max at E3!

Even then, they might do more with them than Telltale ever will...

It might not be likely to happen, but I would like DF to do something with Sam and Max at E3!

Even better if DF can get the rights to Devil's Playhouse and release the OST; apparently Telltale have no interest in physical merchandise anymore, which is terribly depressing.

Even better if DF can get the rights to Devil's Playhouse and release the OST; apparently Telltale have no interest in physical merchandise anymore, which is terribly depressing.

Jared-Emerson Johnson has released a bunch of tracks from The Devil's Playhouse (and most of the other Telltale games) through soundcloud: http://www.jaredemersonjohnson.com/the-vault/

Jared-Emerson Johnson has released a bunch of tracks from The Devil's Playhouse (and most of the other Telltale games) through soundcloud: http://www.jaredemersonjohnson.com/the-vault/

I could kiss you if that were possible over the internet; thank you!

Pointless speculation: Tim has been at a meeting with Sony yesterday (he's been tweeting pictures). It's pretty close to E3, so my prediction: they're talking about what they could do during the Sony conference. Tim was there during the last two big Sony events: Announcing Grim at E3 last year, and announcing the release date/trailer for Grim and that they're doing DoTT next during GDC (I think it was GDC at least).

About what they're going to show: DoTT trailer/release date, and the next project they're going to do together. Could be Full Throttle, could be something new entirely.

CGxNDdFWoAAuHej.jpg

Pointless speculation: Tim has been at a meeting with Sony yesterday (he's been tweeting pictures). It's pretty close to E3, so my prediction: they're talking about what they could do during the Sony conference. Tim was there during the last two big Sony events: Announcing Grim at E3 last year, and announcing the release date/trailer for Grim and that they're doing DoTT next during GDC (I think it was GDC at least).

About what they're going to show: DoTT trailer/release date, and the next project they're going to do together. Could be Full Throttle, could be something new entirely.

CGxNDdFWoAAuHej.jpg

It would be awesome if they did announce Full Throttle this year. Then we can get all of Tim Schafer's LucasArts adventures in updated form. :)

I'm guessing Psychonauts 'Remastered' will be revealed tonight. Humble Bundle just launched this year's E3 Digital Ticket bundle and it includes Psychonauts...

I'm guessing Psychonauts 'Remastered' will be revealed tonight. Humble Bundle just launched this year's E3 Digital Ticket bundle and it includes Psychonauts...

Does Psychonauts really need to be remastered? Maybe some of the audio could be cleaned up, but Psychonauts was released after a graphics-are-good-enough threshold, where it still looks good, even now, 15 years later. Maybe updated, native ports for current-gen consoles are justified, but I'm hoping there aren't any sweeping changes in store.

Nothing :(. They had Double Fine on the schedule as the last guest of the day on the official Twitch E3 stream (right after the Sony conference) and that got me excited, but it was for Gangbeasts.

Game looks great though, but it's no Day of the Tentacle.

I heavily suspected there'd be either a DOTT update or a new game announcement during Sony's conference. Tim is there though, so maybe there'll be something going on. I doubt he went along to E3 just for no apparent reason.

There you go

"Happy to announce we're partnering with Adult Swim Games to make a brand new video game, more info soon!"

Great! How soon, I wonder? It's a pretty vague announcement. Adult Swim Games twitter mentions that it's a new IP, so that's fun, but hope we get a bit more very soon!

There you go

"Happy to announce we're partnering with Adult Swim Games to make a brand new video game, more info soon!"

Hopefully it won't be a browser-based game.

Interesting! I understand that Adult Swim is affiliated with Cartoon Network. Who do we know from Cartoon Network who also participated in Amnesia Fortnight 2014?

It's still only wild speculation, but I'm starting to get a feeling that my prediction that Double Fine is developing a small mobile game with Pendleton Ward might be a strong possibility....

Interesting! I understand that Adult Swim is affiliated with Cartoon Network. Who do we know from Cartoon Network who also participated in Amnesia Fortnight 2014?

It's still only wild speculation, but I'm starting to get a feeling that my prediction that Double Fine is developing a small mobile game with Pendleton Ward might be a strong possibility....

Possible but Pen isn't associated with Adult Swim, but has connections with Frederator. I doubt this game is his, but it'd be unsurprising if they worked together or are already working together on some other project

Last Adult Swim-backed game I played was Jazzpunk, which I adore, so I have high hopes for this partnership.

Yes, worth noting that as well as the little flash game and mobile game stuff on their website they've published a number of interesting smaller PC games like Jazzpunk so I have high hopes too!

Adult Swim is publishing a set of really good games: Jazzpunk, Duck Game, Super House of Dead Ninjas, Westerado: Double Barreled, Völgarr the Viking, Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe are a few games of theirs that I would say are quite good. Most of the other ones on Steam- Publisher: Adult Steam Games I don't know that much about though, so withholding comments on those.

And they are mostly pretty wacky, and pretty difficult, games. I feel that the Adult Swim wackiness and the Double Fine wimsiness might marry quite well. I also hope that Adult Swim are making overtures into funding somewhat larger games, and in Double Fine found a studio that they felt could be a good match for that desire.

{EDIT}Darn forum software doesn't let me use spaces in URLS, nor does it let me percent escape them! So I went to a URL shortener for it.{/EDIT}