Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sswift

How did you solve the problem where a player could take one side of the story to completion?

In one of the last episodes of the documentary you were discussing a problem where the player could take Shay or Vella's story to completion, or near completion and then they'd be stuck because there would be some information they needed that they couldn't go back to get. What exactly was the problem you were referring to, and how did you resolve it?

Here's my guess, whited out because spoilers!

What you needed from Vella's side was the wiring pattern, and what you needed from Shay's was the space chart pattern. My guess is that they put both of those information readily available in each character's last screen (Hope's family photo and giving Alex the pipe)

I have no idea what the game was like before that though. Can't wait to watch the doco without spoiler censors! Meanwhile perhaps you could ask the team directly in the DF Game Club this Sunday (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/17001/)! I'd love hear some official information on this :D.

I think that's pretty much what happened. They made whatever information was needed accessible from the final room. Wouldn't be surprised if the picture with the wiring was originally in the Junk Room.

Seems like it was probably Shay's favorite stuffed animal's name. I assume the fix was shay saying the name if you attempt to interact with it again.

It may even have been the point between Act 1 and Act 2. They hadn't made the two act decision at that point, so maybe they were wondering if it was OK to stop one character and make you play as the other up to that point.

Sign in to follow this