Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smiles

Massive Reviews

Here will eventually be a list of reviews as I notice them, or as people post them below. Note that these reviews cut across platforms.

Review Link - Game Informer - 8/10

Review Link - PC Gamer - 75/100

Review Link - EuroGamer - Recommended Play

Review Link - Games Radar - 3.5/5

Review Link - Hardcore Gamer - 4/5

Review Link - IGN Spain - 8/10

Review Link - 3D Juegos - 7.5/10

Review Link - ShackNews - 8/10

Review Link - Softpedia - 8.5/10

Review Link - Attack of the Fanboy - 4/5

Review Link - TwinFinite - 5/5

Review Link - Canadian Online Gamers - 81/100

Review Link - Bago Games - 9/10

Review Link - Gaming Boulevard - 4/5

Review Link - Victory Point - 5/10

Review Link - Worth Playing - 7.5/10

Review Link - Highscore Reviews - 5/5

Review Link - DRM Gamecast - 8/10

Review Link - Examiner - 3/5

Review Link - Guns and Pixels - 80/100

Review Link - Gaming Nerd - 80/100

Review Link - METRO - 7/10

Review Link - God is a Geek - 8/10

Review Link - Games Asylum 7/10

Review Link - Should You Play This Game - Recommended Play

Review Link - Fan Boys of Gaming - Recommended Play

Review Link - OK Games - Recommended Play

Not quite reviews:

Play Suggestion Link - Destructoid - "Go get it"

Play Suggestion Link - Technology Tell - "No Games with Gold offering has sucked me in quite like Double Fine’s Massive Chalice."

You can write a review on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/massive-chalice

Smiles

http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/massive-chalice-review/

4 of 5

http://www.twinfinite.net/2015/06/01/massive-chalice-review/

5 of 5

[+] Great multi-faceted gameplay

[+] Ageing and bloodline systems

[+] Overall polished look and feel

[+] Intuitive and easy to get into

http://www.bagogames.com/sacred-bloodlines-massive-chalice-review/

9 of 10

Strengths

- Nation management is incredibly interesting and unique

- Fun tactical combat

- Entertaining banter from The Chalice

Weaknesses

- Managing The Nation can be overwhelming and difficult at first

- Most combat maps are incredibly boring to look at

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-02-massive-chalice-review

Dont see a number, but it gets a recommendation

Until 10th February 2015, Eurogamer.net scored games out of 10. Since this date, we no longer use reviews scores. Instead we offer a single sentence summary, plus an additional recommendation badge, if appropriate:

Recommended games are just that. They're the games that we find most interesting, most exciting and most fun; the games that we want to bring to your attention.

http://www.gamingboulevard.com/2015/06/indie-corner-massive-chalice/

4 of 5

http://www.victorypoint.tv/massive-chalice-review-wacky-world-war/

5 of 10

Fun Fact: Calls Caberjacks Cyberjacks...

Pros

+Quality humor and self-reference

+Creative world and story

+Fun base combat

+Beautiful concept and cutscene art

Cons

-Little variation or expansion throughout

-Horribly repetitive

-Extremely short for this type of game

Both repetitive AND short. Love it. The food here is terrible, and in such small portions too.

Horribly repetitive and extremely short? :) That's no small feat to pull off. Congrats DF.

How long is the game really? I've heard something like 15h being mentioned before.

Hardcore gamer gave it a 4/5, with this summary.

Massive Chalice is the best turn-based strategy title of 2015 so far, and its unique simulation aspects make it especially intriguing. This isn’t going to be thought of as a title that can contend with XCOM on the back of its combat alone, but managing each hero’s genetic traits adds another level of depth to an already deep genre. One of the most challenging titles to come out in quite some time, Massive Chalice will cause players to fail over and over before they taste the sweetness that is victory, but every shortcoming eventually leads to an important lesson. The culmination of these small lessons is what makes Double Fine’s latest game to be addicting, consuming and utterly enjoyable. After all, that last quality is one of the most important characteristics of good game design; pick all the nits you want, Massive Chalice is incredibly engaging and that’s truly what matters.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/06/02/review-massive-chalice/151549/

Horribly repetitive and extremely short? :) That's no small feat to pull off. Congrats DF.

How long is the game really? I've heard something like 15h being mentioned before.

A successful run on Hard clocks in at about 12-14 hours for me.

First post updated. Keep an eye out for any other publications.

Smiles

Maybe it just takes me longer to play these sorts of games, but I finished most of my playthroughs in between 15-20 hours.

For me, If I'm to replay a game several times, as seem intended to this, it can't be 80h. 30h is absolutely max for me, and 15h sounds pretty good. That's about the time a Civ game takes for me.

Yeah, I've put about 80 hours into this game total, which feels like a lot of time for me to spend on a single game nowadays.

I don't know about y'all, but I am pumped for the Blood Dragon-esque expansion that runs with this.

Updated a few more. It looks like it is shaping up to be a nice solid on a scale out of 100, 80-85.

Smiles

I don't know about y'all, but I am pumped for the Blood Dragon-esque expansion that runs with this.

Lee Petty's 80's DLC skin confirmed! ;)

Really glad the game is getting good reviews across the board.

Strange just how consistent the reviews were from one source to another... unless they were all just copying each others' work to save time on actually playing for themselves, lol.

And then there's Victory Point and The Examiner. :I Some people are just hard to please, I guess.

Congrats to Brad, the rest of his team, and all of Double Fine for yet another successful game! I hope the financial success matches the critical success! :D

Congrats to Brad, the rest of his team, and all of Double Fine for yet another successful game! I hope the financial success matches the critical success! :D

Added a few more, and most indeed are hovering around the good side of things.

The Games with Gold partnership seems like a perfect idea for this game -- I think it is getting a lot people to try the game who have that, and then they seem to be telling others and putting out decent reviews.

And of course, with XCOM 2 announced around the same time, I think people who are itching to play that may just delve into this as they wait for that larger and expansive game, since MC is at a nice price point.

Smiles

A bit weird that some of the largest sites haven't reviewed it? IGN, Kotaku, Giantbomb, Gamespot and Polygon haven't posted any reviews for it yet.

I'm just glad it's getting reviews. Hack 'n' Slash, one of my favourite Double Fine games was released to almost no reviews, which seemed a great shame!

Destructoid did give it a score, 6/10. I kinda feel like you're trying to hide the low review score.

6/10 from Gamespot also.

THE GOOD

Eugenics experiments can go horribly right...or horribly wrong

Well-executed combat provides both tension and satisfaction

Occasional silliness to world provides a welcome light touch

"Choice" moments play out in unexpected ways

THE BAD

Large stretches of combat consist of aimless wandering

Stylized art style still manages to lack personality

Consistent inability to express important information to player

Personality traits of heroes are abstracted to a depersonalizing degree

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/massive-chalice-review/1900-6416159/

I kinda feel like you're trying to hide the low review score.

There really hasn't been that many low scores. Destructoids and Gamespots were published yesterday. Before that, Victory Points 5/10 review has been the only one of signficance you have been able to find through gamerankings, metacritic and googling. And I think it's fair to not count the "My own gameblog!" reviews.

Destructoid did give it a score, 6/10. I kinda feel like you're trying to hide the low review score.
That score wasn't part of the original Destructoid article being linked to here, and other reviews such as that 5/10 one have been linked to... so perhaps tone down the conspiracy theories a bit? :)

That score wasn't part of the original Destructoid article being linked to here, and other reviews such as that 5/10 one have been linked to... so perhaps tone done the conspiracy theories a bit? :)

Never. The dihydronal monooxitate is real. Wait. I f*d that joke up.

I will say. I wish they were organized by rank. But that's just massively ocd. :P

That score wasn't part of the original Destructoid article being linked to here, and other reviews such as that 5/10 one have been linked to... so perhaps tone done the conspiracy theories a bit? :)

Never. The dihydronal monooxitate is real. Wait. I f*d that joke up.

I will say. I wish they were organized by rank. But that's just massively ocd. :P

I'll eventually get them organized a bit more, first I was just trying to collect as many as I could for easy reference!

Smiles

Kotaku review:

1290185269681894831.png

The tactical side of Massive Chalice—the part where you take those soldiers into battle on an isometric turn-based battlefield—is wonderful. It looks great, it plays great, it even feels great, with a sense of weight and purpose behind character movement and animation that I’ve never experienced in a game like this before.

Enemy variety is also fantastic. Instead of just introducing varying types of enemies that exist only to harm you on the battlefield—though to be sure there are plenty of those—Massive Chalice has bad guys that can hurt you strategically. One ranged enemy can sap characters of XP, knocking out earned abilities, while another—the terrifying Wrinkler—will age a character by five years every time they’re touched (and you see it happen in real-time on the tactical map). Watching my best soldier go from strapping young man to grey-haired pensioner in just two turns is one of the cruellest, saddest things I’ve ever had to sit through in a strategy game. All those years they could have bred or instructed future generations of troops, lost in a heartbeat.

I really like Massive Chalice. Yes, it has a fundamental problem in how it presents your relationship with its soldiers. And yes, it has other problems too; the big-picture strategic side of the game is dry and dull It will often run games down dead ends through a lack of feedback and cruel random events, wasting hours and hours of playtime as you’re forced to restart (something it actually seems quite proud of).

But for all the ways it doesn’t manage to channel the magic of XCOM, it gets a lot of things right. The art, the weight of the characters, the novelty of cross-breeding classes. The fact the game auto-generated me a Hero called “Panye West”. Even the voice acting is great, which is saying a lot since the only voice actors in the game are playing the role of a giant cup.

Two more, both from places that don't do scores. Approximate reaction is "Eh."

AV Club : http://www.avclub.com/article/300-year-war-drags-double-fines-massive-chalice-220574

Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/04/massive-chalice-review/

In general, I'm getting the impression that the emotional attachment angle is proving to be the stumbling block rather than the mechanical elements. Here's to hoping that the initial sales rush is enough to support fleshing that out with little-ish bits like crypts and an in-game bloodline builder.

Sign in to follow this