Sign in to follow this  
serjay

Post-release feedback

I've played only version 1.0, never played any of it before. I finished the game on normal, non-iron man. I found MC quite fun to play and here is my feedback:

The good

* The game is definitely fun! Thanks for giving us a turn based tactical game.

* Relics are a super fun way to differenciate heroes. This was the only way I was able to differenciate a hero from someone else.

* The mixed classes are a very nice touch. Bravo! I also liked that the classes felt somewhat unique.

* The whole idea of dinasties of heroes is very cool.

* I really enjoyed the final fight, but it was a bit on the easy side (normal difficulty) with a full hoster of lvl 10 heroes all with relics.

The room for improvement

* I never knew who were my heroes, what house they belonged to, etc. I believe this was because they looked very similar to each other. Hero customization could go a long way here (simple things like name and color would help, no need for fancy haircuts). One thing that could really improve your sense of "wow, this hero rocks" are stats: number of enemies killed, number of missions, etc.

* Too much randomness: most (if not all) options on events can go either way. While this is good for replayability, it feels pretty random, kind of like it doesn't really matter what you choose, you might have bad luck or good luck, which is frustrating, because the player feels there is no control. (IF there are some stats checked against a dice roll, it really did not seem so, it felt only random). This was especially agravated by my lack of connection to any hero, so I would often not care what would happen to them, because I didn't know them.

* It is really annoying that you can't tell the class of your heroes just by looking at the UI in tactical mode. Since their house banner or names never meant anything to me, I had to click on all of the available heroes to plan my tactics. Pair this with the lack of differentiation in the first point and you are never able to tell at a glance what is going on.

* Sometimes I would not see enemies, even when my heroes saw them: seen enemies outside the screen could have a arrow or something on the edge of the screen showing where they are. And/or (like XCOM) there could be an enemy icon on the screen for each seen enemy, so you would click it and the camera would center on it.

* Repeated enemies: the game could benefit from more enemy types (not only advanced). It was especially disappointing that there was no new type on the final fight.

* Environments are a bit repeated too. Oh, and I really disliked the "space-like" map with those "egg-like metal structures".

* The story is a bit disappointing. I felt all I did was useless, as the Chalice also points out.

* No place for stealth in the final fight: all my hoster was all composed of stealthy characters, so I felt cheated when I realized in the final fight there was no place to hide.

* I spent half the game annoyed that you could not attack from the angle you wanted to, until a loading screen message told me how it was possible :P

(The longer improvement points doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the game, it is just I felt I needed to elaborate on the possible improvements, while the good it is pretty easy to grasp). Thanks for creating this game for us!

Just addressing one thing in your comments: "Oh, and I really disliked the “space-like” map with those “egg-like metal structures”."

Yeah, I really liked the original Salt Flats design and didn't like at all the redesign of that terrain.

I don't think the forum is big enough for multiple first impressions threads so I'll add my comments here if that's ok:

UI stuff:

Show the levels of the regent/partner in the hover-over screen on the main map. We get names and ages and number of trainees, but not levels.

Maybe show the level/xp bar of relics in the main screen, instead of having to hunt into the EQUIP menu for it.

Not sure if this already exists: maybe a END ALL button which ends your entire turn, rather than having to end turn for each hero individually.

I don't think the forum is big enough for multiple first impressions threads so I'll add my comments here if that's ok:

UI stuff:

Show the levels of the regent/partner in the hover-over screen on the main map. We get names and ages and number of trainees, but not levels.

Maybe show the level/xp bar of relics in the main screen, instead of having to hunt into the EQUIP menu for it.

Not sure if this already exists: maybe a END ALL button which ends your entire turn, rather than having to end turn for each hero individually.

Sure thing, all contributions are welcome. :)

UI stuff:

Sure thing, all contributions are welcome. :)

something a friend mentioned: family trees for relics! ok not exactly, but if you could see all the people who have held a relic in the past by clicking on the relic, that'd be pretty cool!

also more stats recorded in general. A memorial for fallen heroes and how they died. Kill records for heroes. etc

something a friend mentioned: family trees for relics! ok not exactly, but if you could see all the people who have held a relic in the past by clicking on the relic, that'd be pretty cool!

also more stats recorded in general. A memorial for fallen heroes and how they died. Kill records for heroes. etc

These were wanted, and just didn't make an initial 1.0 release due to time and budget I think. So we'll see what items future patches and DLC address!

Smiles

These were wanted, and just didn't make an initial 1.0 release due to time and budget I think. So we'll see what items future patches and DLC address!

Smiles

lets hope!

more UI stuff: why can we only access information from the regions being attacked when the cadence incursions happen? sometimes I need information from different regions (eg amount of strikes) to determine which of the regions I should defend. Or keep and regent information.

Do experience scarves stack? Is there a reason why a hero can equip two wunderpants?

Smiles

My pro's and cons echo what else has been said. One thing I would love though is some form of over-watch mode. Perhaps if a character hasn't performed a single action in a turn they can overwatch and perform a basic attack in the enemy turn on the first thing that enters range.

It would probably be overpowered though, but would be a great item unlock near the end of the game when I need as much damage as possible!