• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club Hiatus

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB Is Now On Hiatus (starting 7th of June 2015)

The Double Fine Game Club was a community run weekly event where interested gamers played through and then came together to discuss what they do and don't like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). Discussion took place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club was a very informal weekly chat, and everyone was welcome!

Previous game: Broken Age, part 2

So, as most will have heard, Game Club is now on "extended hiatus". What does that mean? It means that we're taking a well deserved break after 3 years and will use the time to decide what future Game Club should have.

Game Club was started by Double Fine's Greg Rice as a backer only activity to help grow discussion about adventure games and explore what good and bad aspects adventure games of the past and present have. In July 2012 as Greg became less available, Game Club was handed off to the community and opened it up for non-backers as well as adventure fans outside of the Double Fine community to participate.

The past 3 years have been a wonderful ride. We've explored and discussed over 60 games, and have had dozens of developers join us as guests to share their memories and insights. It has been rewarding and memorable to share this with the community, and on behalf of our organisers, Syd, Permafry and myself, I'd like to thank everybody for being a part of it - it's the people who showed up and joined in on the discussion who made it special <3

We'd like to ask that people who've joined us for Game Club, or those who just read the forum posts/chat logs take the time to share with us what you enjoyed about Game Club, whether that's the community, the insightful discussion, the opportunity to interact with developers, discovering new games, celebrating old ones, or something else entirely.

Gameclub is the bees knees. I've met Khris Brown, Pen Ward, tons of DF staff and lots of great adventure fans to nerd out and talk games. I'll be on the IRC when I can. Enjoy the break Cheese & all the DFGC helpers! Bon Voyage!

I loved it. Shame I wasn´t there everytime. Besides Collogne I´ve met some great people here virtually. And it´s every week. :)

It was a fantastic experience to get to stream for so many people, and I'll look forwards to seeing everyone again when we start the next chapter in Game Club =D

I really enjoyed Game Club. Especially great was getting to meet devs in the chat, and being a guest dev for the Dan and Ben sessions, which was kind of like doing a commentary track! It was also really cool getting to discuss the minutiae of adventure games with fellow fans in a way that I haven't done since I went round to a mate's house to play the latest Lucasarts adventure in the 90s.

Thanks to everyone involved, and I hope that it continues in some form!

I didn't get into these until the last couple of ones, but it was pretty entertaining. It was really well done, with Cheese and the others who always kept the discussion going.

I keep coming back to the Double Fine forums, since it feels like one of the few gaming communities were people seem to actually enjoy games, and the DF Game Club sessions were a nice extension of that.

If it comes back, I would want to see it expand beyond adventure games, and include games like Massive Chalice. It could help people to get into games like that, that can feel a bit overwhelming at first.

I loved these, but I'm afraid I was late to all of them but 2 or so. Not your fault though, I always manage to miss live online events.

Quick question though (I'm sure this is already answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it): I was trying to listen to the interview with Tim for Broken Age Act 1, and I couldn't load any of the videos or the twitch channel. Are those old videos still hosted somewhere?

Bah. Just read through the chat stream and nobody asked Tim the most obvious and burning Broken Age question (to me): Why did Hope hide herself away from Shay for enough years for Shay to actually forget she was there? Why not just open the door and give him a hug? (One easily explanation: The plan from the Thrush insisted that the subject be separated from his parents in order to stop his teenage instincts from being sullied -- or whatever.

Helping organize and stream for the game club for the last few years has been a blast. I got to meet so many great people, chat with some awesome developers, and experience games I may not have otherwise.

Just a heads up for DF Game Clubbers that this weeks humble weekly bundle has Lumino City and Hack 'n' Slash included. Plus it has Sunset, a game I've been meaning to play for some time and have heard many good things about, despite the studio behind it unfortunately closing (http://www.pcgamer.com/sunset-studio-tale-of-tales-is-closing/). I'd love to see all three of these games played at some point down the road if/when DF Game Club returns from hiatus, especially since all of them would work well with the .

Here's the link!

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly