Sign in to follow this  
chickenmonger

Loving the game...but I think I'm not very good at it?

I'm about 80 years into my first timeline, and I'm losing every single character with The Cadence...

Is it worth it to stick it out until I lose all my territory (or, bizarrely, win), or should I restart the playthrough now?

I'll admit I'm not very good at strategy games, so my progress, or lack thereof in this case, is expected.

Well, the loading screen tips say don't be afraid to start over! If you are having fun fighting an uphill battle, continue. Otherwise, reroll with a new game!

Smiles

Is it that your characters are dying of old age? Or that you're having trouble in battles?

I found that watching a few Let's Plays helped me improve my battle tactics. But I strongly suggest either not watching the final battle (because there's an exciting twist at the start of the battle that I don't want to spoil for you) or powering through until you can experience it for yourself.

Troubles in battles, for sure. There were a few battles near the end that literally eliminated all of my characters, and I had to search for brand new ones.

Troubles in battles, for sure. There were a few battles near the end that literally eliminated all of my characters, and I had to search for brand new ones.

In my first play through around the 200's I had two complete team wipes in a row. It was brutal and somehow also entertaining and amusing because I just did research on recruiting more heroes and pressed on. So I know where you're coming from.

As was mentioned above the first one or two run play through's for I suspect many players is a learning process to sort out the game.

I don't think you can go wrong either way you choose to go, the only cautionary piece to starting over is you won't have progressed enough to see what else lies ahead, so you wouldn't want to get into the trap RPG players sometimes get into re-rolling characters at the outset of the game and doing that over and over instead of progressing.

This game is a lot like FTL in that respect: you are supposed to play the campaign several times over before you understand all of the mechanics.

There's definitely a jump in battle difficulty after Year 151, when the Advanced enemies start showing up. Hopefully you will have researched some armor for two of the three classes by then. I believe that it gets better once you finish the Nation-wide Armor Boost, but it needs Bulwark corpses.

I learned a bunch of tactical tips from the early episodes of Let's Plays. One of my early mistakes was charging into battle, using my full movement, every turn. It meant that the enemies often got the first shot, and I had to spend the rest of the time behind in the damage race.

I cut that out, and tried scouting with my invisible Hunters first. That worked much better, because I could control the timing of the fight. I started fighting on my terms, backing down from the big groups of enemies, and instead trying to pick off single enemy units on the periphery of the groups. It is working a lot better for me on this playthrough.

Definitely agree on the cloaked hunters as scouts, that was one of the big differences for me between the first and second play through in battle results. That and on the strategic level I did a better job focusing on bloodlines.

I learned a bunch of tactical tips from the early episodes of Let's Plays. One of my early mistakes was charging into battle, using my full movement, every turn. It meant that the enemies often got the first shot, and I had to spend the rest of the time behind in the damage race.

When in doubt, End Turn. There's no penalty to letting the enemies come to you. Furthermore, after ~2/3 of the enemies in a battle are defeated, the rest will start to hunt you down, so keep that in mind.

In addition to scouting with Stealth Moves, consider other ways you can get enemies to approach without running out into the open: Moving a hero within their vision range but not their attack range (units can move 8 spaces, with D&D-style diagonals (every other diagonal is 2 spaces)), using the Prime Target ability to taunt enemies, or running into the enemy's range and then running back out are all good ways to try to manipulate the Cadence into a better position for you.

I hadn't played since the beta last year, and just started replaying on xbone. I forgot 1. how great this game is and 2. how much you torment yourself over every decision!

Through some fault of my own, at around year 100 I've ended up with a choice of only males for a new regent, and only men for partners (out of my 15 heroes!). I guess I should still give him a partner because more XP for the adopted kids? 2 dads are better than one?

=) Hope you're having fun! Yeah, there's so much to pay attention to to really succeed.

I found on many occasions that it was worthwhile to not assign a partner for a few years (or even a couple decades, in extreme cases) if I knew a more suitable partner would be coming of age eventually. Do you have any female heroes in training? If so, you might consider not assigning a partner and then sending her into just one battle so she can get some XP before partnering. This depends on how old your regent is, of course, and they have to be at least second cousins or not related (this one screwed me once or twice).

I'm not certain how the XP gain for trainees differs with just the one parent, but I didn't notice it being significantly worse?

Two dads are probably better than one, yeah. Do you have the recruitment bonus, by chance? If not, don't bother, but if you do it would probably be more effective to recruit new heroes so you (hopefully) get a couple of level 3ish female heroes instead of having to adopt just the one baby.

This is seriously about the most challenging strategy game I've ever played, so props to anyone who has made it to the final year (I didn't get much farther than 150. Those advanced artillery-birther whatsits are terrifying). The hardest part initially was just unlearning most of what I knew from other games like X-com, such as rarely having any "soft cover" to rely on and instead having to use line of sight and ambushing tactics.

I should really look up some Let's Plays myself, see how experts do these things. Last time I played (it's been a while) the only things I could find on youtube were one-off first-look vids, IE nobody playing farther than the tutorial or a couple battles after that.

Thanks for the tips! I think I have one female hero who will be old enough soon, so that should work. I'll add recruitment bonus to the research list for sure after this.

The other funny thing is that somehow I ended up with only hybrid classes, so the only time I get a pure anything is from mission rewards. The hybrid classes weren't in when I played the beta, so that's a really cool new feature. I love the Shadowjack!

Yeah, it's actually tough to maintain the "pure" classes after the first couple of generations.

The recruitment bonus hopefully won't be necessary! It's helpful if you're struggling, since the Recruit New Heroes research will then give you heroes at a usable level, but it's not the most effective use of research if you can avoid it. I'd opt for taking a reward hero to supplement things, given the choice.

Well, I've done brutal ironmode, so I guess you can ask me! I actually did a moderate write-up of some strategy and tips after that, starting at message #43 at http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/17206/P25/. Give that a read if you'd like!

That's awesome, going to read through your tips for sure! If you can get through brutal ironmode I should be able to make it through hard. :)

This game gives me serious Kickstarter regret, that I didn't back at a higher level and get my own bloodline!