I'm really excited for Shenmue III, as I loved the first two. I played them over and over on my Dreamcast, and then played the second one on the Xbox as well.

There's a weird thing about the long period of time between the three chapters, though. I just realized that I was around Ryo's age (just a few years older than him) when I first played Shenmue, and I'll be much older than him when Shenmue III comes out (as it's slated to come out in 2017, which is 16 years after the release of Shenmue II), while he'll still be the same age. Actually, since it takes place in the 1980's, technically he is much older than me, rather than the other way around. It's weird how fiction works some times.

Actually, the weirder situation is Monkey Island, as I was younger than Guybrush when Monkey Island 1 and 2 was released, but was the same age as him when Monkey Island 3 came around, then I was older than him when Monkey Island 4 and 5 came out.

Well, technically, there's weirder situations, as, for instance, Batman began decades before I (or even my parents) were born, but he's around my age now in the comics, and he'll continue to be in his 30s when I get to be in retirement age (outside of things like Batman Beyond of course). But, I digress.

Oh yh both have a beautiful world even with the graphics we have now there's always lots to do in the game and there's lots of secrets.

OK, colour me curious. How can I play the first game?

Get a dreamcast or emulator or hope sega make a HD version. You can get 2 for Xbox with a cinematic version of 1 to fill you in.

OK, colour me curious. How can I play the first game?

Get a dreamcast or emulator or hope sega make a HD version. You can get 2 for Xbox with a cinematic version of 1 to fill you in.

1 and 2 on Dreamcast are terribly expensive. So emulate (or rip onto disks and play on actual Dreamcast), if you can.

2 on Xbox is much cheaper. You can hack Xbox and load it onto the HDD too. (though Xbox may need HDD mod upgrade)

I think I'm going to replay 1 and 2 and try to beat them by the end of next year. I may need to get another Dreamcast though, since mine has that horrible reset issue where it won't stop bloody resetting itself when you turn it on. (and pushing the pins didn't work the last time annoyingly enough)

so is this game worth playing in 2015 or is everyone gushing because nostalgia? real talk me
I played it again just a few years back, and the free play sandbox style of the game still holds up pretty well. The controls are antiquated now (not quite as frustrating as Grim Fandango's tank controls, but the method of controlling Ryo isn't as fluid as it seemed back in 2001). The English voice acting is really wooden (and this was even a sore point of the game back when it was released). The Japanese voice acting seems much more lively, so if you don't mind subtitles, this might be a way to go (I actually preferred the English Dreamcast version of Shenmue II because they kept the original Japanese voice acting, just because the English voice acting is so very stilted and wooden).

The story line just started to get exciting by the end of Shenmue II (a mystery was starting to unfold involving Ryo's father, the father of the man who killed Ryo's father, the father of a girl named Shenhua (who Ryo begins travelling with at the end of Shenmue II, and a mysterious cartel known as the Chi You Men). The mystery started to delve into the supernatural, and just as it hooked players in, the game stopped.

The saga of Shenmue was meant to be told over 16 chapters. When Shenmue didn't sell as well, Shenmue 2 was composed of chapter 3-6, and chapter 2 was told in tie in material (relating to the boat ride from Japan to China, which Yu Suzuki felt didn't need to be told in the game, as it just revolved around someone trying to steal from Ryo on the boat, and the story was much stronger starting on his arrival in China, and I definitely agree with that). Presumably, Shenmue 3 will tell chapters 7 through 16, as the Kickstarter teases all of the mysteries set in motion from the first six chapters (the mirrors with their seemingly supernatural abilities, the fact that Shenhua and Ryo seem to be destined to travel together, as they had shown up in each other's dreams prior to their meeting, the mystery revolving around the Chi You Men cartel, and ultimately having Ryo face his father's killer, Lan Di).

Hopefully they'll be able to keep up the momentum for the third game, as the build up has been slow, but seems to be worth it, at least so far.

so is this game worth playing in 2015 or is everyone gushing because nostalgia? real talk me

Yes, it's a totally unique game set in an contemporary urban enviroment (set in the 80s), it's not like yakuza or similar games, it's more of an adventure game that mixes martial arts, a somewhat detective story and chinese culture.

The world seems really fleshed out, somewhere you could actually live that even games today cannot achieve.

It was revolutionary at it's time, you could open drawers, work, lots of voiced npcs, realistic weather, arcade games, forklifts (lol), 3d beat them up engine based on virtua fighter (more than 60 moves that you could train individually and even the animation of these would change) tons of minigames (that are integrated in the story), QTE, free roaming, amazing music. It's pretty much the precursor to most open world games and these new cinematic games that everyone talks about.

The voice acting was subpar, the story was quite engaging but the writing was wonky at times, and the game has a pace that a lot of gamers can't handle (somewhat slow, but to be honest it's relaxing as fuck), also tank controls.

It's not nostalgia glasses, it's quite a masterpiece, but like real masterpieces it's a love or hate thing.

Posted by Ys Net

Hello Everyone!

Just in! Corey Marshall, the actor who did the English voice acting for the main character Ryo in Shenmue 1 & 2, is now confirmed for Shenmue 3!

The support for Mr. Marshall to reprise his role as Ryo has been just overwhelming!

We would all like to thank Corey-san for coming back, and especially for all the support he has given to Shenmue over the years.

My original copes of Shenmue and Shenmue II for the Dreamcast make for the pride of my games collection. I was one of the few who actually owned a Dreamcast back in 1999 (that exact same console is still working and is still hooked up to my TV to this very day). The Dreamcast remains my favourite games console ever made and Shenmue plays a big part in that. It was so ahead of its time and was simply mind-blowing upon its initial release. Heck, it's still remains a unique title to play in 2015.

It's the life simulator aspects of Shenmue that have always appealed to me. Whether it's walking down to the arcade on Dobuita Street for a game of Space Harrier or Hang-On...

waq73p.jpg

...or getting a part-time job as a forklift driver down at the docks...

2llyq9f.jpg

...Shenmue does a great job of really making you feel like you're stepping into Ryo Hazuki's shoes and world. One of the other things that makes Shenmue such a fantastic game is the beautiful colour palette. First of all, the Dreamcast always rendered the most vivid and gorgeous colours (just one of the reasons I infinitely prefer it to the PS2) but combine that technical superiority with Yu Suzuki's traditional blue skies and white clouds (think Outrun) and you have one of the most strikingly attractive games ever made.

Oh, also... the game being set in the 80's holds a very special place in my heart, for that is the decade of my childhood and Shenmue does a wonderful job of exuding that comforting 80's feel.

A special mention should also go to the soundtrack, which is marvelous. I own an imported copy of the Japanese orchestral soundtrack. Just listen to this majestic, epic and awe-inspiring sound-scape...

bWm8Gml8w4w

...Just listening to it brings back warm memories of walking through the Ryo's (mostly) peaceful village; the snow falling; a man dressed as Santa stood on the street corner, ringing a bell; visiting the Tomato Convenience Store to purchase a Virtua Fighter toy capsule and of course, asking every single person I come across if they know where sailors like to hang out!

Incidentally, I replayed Shenmue only just last year and it's lost nothing of it's charm and brilliance over the years. As far as I'm concerned, it's a genuine masterpiece.

Admitibly, it's an acquired taste; it's not going to be everybody's cup of tea. I can't imagine too many Call of Duty players enjoying it. Still, if you're a gamer who digs interesting concepts and story led experiences, then you owe it to yourself to play it. Seeming as you like Double Fine games, I think there's a very good chance that it'll be right down your street.

Posted by Ys Net

Hello Everyone!

Just in! Corey Marshall, the actor who did the English voice acting for the main character Ryo in Shenmue 1 & 2, is now confirmed for Shenmue 3!

The support for Mr. Marshall to reprise his role as Ryo has been just overwhelming!

We would all like to thank Corey-san for coming back, and especially for all the support he has given to Shenmue over the years.

The English voice is one of the biggest faults of the North American localizations of the first two games.

Though Corey Marshall could potentially be OK if they give him some good voice direction. His vocal range fits the part as well, at least.

The English voice is one of the biggest faults of the North American localizations of the first two games.

(Also, the European versions!)

Yes, the English dub of Shenmue is objectively bad but subjectively, I wouldn't change it for the world. It carries even more charm for me than the original Resident Evil in the bad voice acting department. It just adds to the experience in a positive way, in my opinion at least.

When I first played Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast and realised that it used the original Japanese recording (with subtitles), I couldn't help but be a little disappointed, despite it sounding objectively superior to the English dub of the original game. I'm aware that the Xbox version of Shenmue II features an English dub, so I'll have to check that out at some point.

(Also, the European versions!)

Yes, the English dub of Shenmue is objectively bad but subjectively, I wouldn't change it for the world. It carries even more charm for me than the original Resident Evil in the bad voice acting department. It just adds to the experience in a positive way, in my opinion at least.

When I first played Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast and realised that it used the original Japanese recording (with subtitles), I couldn't help but be a little disappointed, despite it sounding objectively superior to the English dub of the original game. I'm aware that the Xbox version of Shenmue II features an English dub, so I'll have to check that out at some point.

Yeah, there are a lot of people who feel like you do. So much so in fact that fans made a version for the Dreamcast that combines the English text from the European Dreamcast version with the speech from the English XBox version.

I don't share in that opinion though, since I feel that the Japanese dialog in the European version of Shenmue II for Dreamcast is so much more enjoyable, simply for the fact that the Japanese voice artists actually have emotion in their performances, unlike most of the English voice overs which are dull and lifeless for the most part.

Fans actually did the opposite with the first version of Shenmue for Dreamcast, keeping the English subtitles but substituting the original Japanese voice files. I really want to try that sometime, since I enjoy the European version of Shenmue II a lot, minus the box lifting guy, who is actually too enthusiastic, to the point where because it's so repetitive it becomes annoying. Thankfully, after I learned the trick to sell your toy capsules at the pawn shops, I only had to do the box job once in subsequent playthroughs.

I retracted my pledge

needed the money :(

Not sure if you thoroughly checked the different reward levels prior to retracting your pledge...

1z3uetd.jpg

I retracted my pledge

needed the money :(

Not sure if you thoroughly checked the different reward levels prior to retracting your pledge...

1z3uetd.jpg

And you can try to escape but the QTE flashes 200 buttens in 3 seconds.

I'll get the game when it's out, won't see it till at least 2017, probably even later

I'll get the game when it's out, won't see it till at least 2017, probably even later

Yeah, I'm just ribbing you. I haven't pledged either because like you, I can't afford it at present (despite Shenmue III being one of my 'most wanted' games for over a decade). Sucks to be broke, don't it?

Yeah, I'm just ribbing you. I haven't pledged either because like you, I can't afford it at present (despite Shenmue III being one of my 'most wanted' games for over a decade). Sucks to be broke, don't it?

looked up "ribbing" on Urban dictionary

I hope it's not definition 2

I hope it's not definition 2

I had to go and look up what you were referring to. You can rest easy, that's most assuredly NOT what I meant by ribbing!

Honestly, some men will find a way to have even the most seemingly innocuous of items come into contact with their genitalia.