Sign in to follow this  
chickenmonger

Partnership with Adult Swim Games

Surprise! oh wait.

:)

Surprise in that it's a sidescroller actually. I didn't expect that. Trailer looks great, Lee is a genius, I'm looking forward to this!

Apparently this is not the UE4 game, so that seems to indicate that another title is still in the works as well, as I doubt they're rebuilding DotT in the Unreal engine.

Surprise! oh wait.

:)

Surprise in that it's a sidescroller actually. I didn't expect that. Trailer looks great, Lee is a genius, I'm looking forward to this!

Apparently this is not the UE4 game, so that seems to indicate that another title is still in the works as well, as I doubt they're rebuilding DotT in the Unreal engine.

It looks like it might have been a 3D action game back when they were pitching it before the AF, but it might have gone through some changes. Excellent choices, I think. Lovely, colourful artstyle with amazing backgrounds, and I think the sidescrolling style will really help to focus the game. Having seen the trailer I'm way more excited about the game than I ever was when it was originally pitched. It always seemed like a cool concept but I just wasn't quite sold on it, but it looks like they've really found a way to make it work.

I hope the map is sizeable. I feel like Metroid style games feed off of that loop of having all these areas cut off and gradually getting access to more and more, and that only really works if there is lots to discover. So I'll be curious whether the budget will allow this to be all I'm hoping for, but obviously it's a day 1 from me :)

i like the neon 80s aesthetic. seems like a good fit for adult swim too what with their retro ironic hipster humor. (also i'll admit, i totally thought that far cry blood dragon was sweeeeet)

Alright, congrats lee! You guys got to make it

I love the logo. This looks like a lot of fun.

Anyone have a link lying around to the original full Headlander trailer used in the AF2014 Pitch?

The music is glorious!!!! Who wrote the music?? I love them! :)

Seconded! If it's anything indicative of the final game soundtrack I'm gonna want to buy that. Is there a download for at least the trailer theme without the sound effects anywhere? Fantastic!

It looks like it might have been a 3D action game back when they were pitching it before the AF, but it might have gone through some changes. Excellent choices, I think. Lovely, colourful artstyle with amazing backgrounds, and I think the sidescrolling style will really help to focus the game. Having seen the trailer I'm way more excited about the game than I ever was when it was originally pitched. It always seemed like a cool concept but I just wasn't quite sold on it, but it looks like they've really found a way to make it work.

Personally I was a little bit disappointed that they've opted to make it a sidescroller when I first saw the trailer, because I really loved the 3D look and art style of the original AF pitch. I agree that it will probably help to focus the gameplay though. And it still looks gorgeous, so if the game is a bit less 'actiony' than what is shown in the trailer there will still be plenty of beautiful stuff to look at. Having never played Metroid, it reminds me a bit of The Swapper. The atmosphere is obviously totally different, but I wonder if this more recent title has inspired them to go the sidescrolling route.

Anyone have a link lying around to the original full Headlander trailer used in the AF2014 Pitch?

They've taken it down, unfortunately. Probably in order not to raise confusion, as the look and feel of the game in the AF trailer is quite different.

That new trailer looks really cool, and it reminds me a little bit of Rochard, which I adore. Couldn't find anything about platforms, other than the YouTube description, which mentions "PC & CONSOLE", but if that includes Linux, I'll definitely buy the game once it's available. Adult Swim has published several cross-platform PC games on Steam, and Double Fine have most of their PC games available on Windows, Linux and Mac, so I'm optimistic.

David Earl, who's worked on previous Double Fine games.

Personally I was a little bit disappointed that they've opted to make it a sidescroller when I first saw the trailer, because I really loved the 3D look and art style of the original AF pitch.
The original prototype was also a side scroller.

The thing I'm kinda enjoying is the similarities I can see between Headlander and Stacking, with regards to controlling NPCs and adopting their abilities. Can't wait to see how that translates into a more action oriented context.

That new trailer looks really cool, and it reminds me a little bit of Rochard.

I thought this immediately too. I played that little game a few years ago, and it was okay, worth the few bucks I paid for it. I hope Headlander is more entertaining!

Smiles

Personally I was a little bit disappointed that they've opted to make it a sidescroller when I first saw the trailer, because I really loved the 3D look and art style of the original AF pitch.
The original prototype was also a side scroller.

Interesting! I didn't get that from the AF prototype trailer. Now that I've watched the new trailer a couple of times, it's definitely growing on me. This type of gameplay probably works a lot better in a sidescrolling format than in the big, open 3D 'Stacking-like' environments I had envisioned.

He says "3rd person action adventure game". Not usually how people define side-scroller/platform, but of course those are all 3rd person as well...

He says "3rd person action adventure game". Not usually how people define side-scroller/platform, but of course those are all 3rd person as well...

I don't have any real knowledge to share, but Headlander's concept had been floating around for years - Tasha had mentioned on Twitter that she worked on animations for the video we saw during AF, and I think she left Double Fine in 2011. It's possible that it went through a number of different variations during prototyping before the best fit was found (that's not uncommon), or that the AF pitch was an attempt to explore a different take on the "original" prototype that Bert mentioned.

Polygon posted a new article about the game.

Link

Headlander is out on PC and consoles next year. Game length is expected to be in the six-to-eight hour range.

I see the term Metroidvania show up a lot on websites, while you can't even tell it from the trailer.

Metroidvania is suuch a buzzword these days, not even Metroid nor Castlevania hasnt been Metroidvania since the DS

Oh, you made the original pitch video private :( I wanted to watch it again.

Oh, you made the original pitch video private :( I wanted to watch it again.

I got word from Spaff earlier today who said:

Greg took it down because people were linking the wrong trailer!

We'll put it back later!

This looks great and crazily complex!

The one thing I'm a bit surprised by is that the art style isn't exaggerated in the usual DF way - that is, the lead guy has normal proportions in his body and face, as do the backgrounds etc, and the camera is pulled out and, I can't think how to say this but the standard platformer side-on. Not that this is a negative, it just feels different from the usual DF style (The Cave had the same camera position, of course, but the aesthetics were cartoonily exaggerated otherwise). Loving the 70s sci-fi vibe, though, and that animated logo is the tits.

I see the term Metroidvania show up a lot on websites, while you can't even tell it from the trailer.

Metroidvania is suuch a buzzword these days, not even Metroid nor Castlevania hasnt been Metroidvania since the DS

Castlevania hadn't become a metroidvania yet when I last played a Castlevania game... But the name of a genre is basically relevant when it got coined, and then less so as time goes on, rather than just as a dictionary term. Rogue-likes are in very few cases borrowing anything at all from Rogue. Rogue-lites can be so different from Rogue that those that played Rogue back then couldn't find the reason why they would ever be named after that game. DotA-clones as a term got replaced by the considerably worse term MOBA (which doesn't exclude games like Street Figthter, Smash Bros, Counterstrike, Splatoons, War of the Roses, Chivalry, Magicka: Wizard Wars, Chaos: Reborn etc.) because the reference to the big one (NOT the first one!) was decided to be a PR problem for Riot. We no longer call FPSes Doom clones, but that was the term once. And for some reason, Diablo-clones became ARPG, despite the fact there isn't any RPG in them but they are still pretty much a clone of the core Diablo mechanics.

Polygon posted a new article about the game.

Link

Headlander is out on PC and consoles next year. Game length is expected to be in the six-to-eight hour range.

That's not bad, and DF are usually pretty accurate with their length estimates. It's a small game (which we knew anyway) but not so small that there's nothing to get your teeth into.

I'm glad estimates have it as a shorter game. It took be 32 hours of gameplay to finish Grim Fandango: Remastered, over the course of a full 100 days. And that was the only game I was playing.

I still haven't finished Massive Chalice, bought on June 1st, or Brutal Legend, bought in March of 2014. Yikes.

The one thing I'm a bit surprised by is that the art style isn't exaggerated in the usual DF way - that is, the lead guy has normal proportions in his body and face, as do the backgrounds etc, and the camera is pulled out and, I can't think how to say this but the standard platformer side-on. Not that this is a negative, it just feels different from the usual DF style (The Cave had the same camera position, of course, but the aesthetics were cartoonily exaggerated otherwise). Loving the 70s sci-fi vibe, though, and that animated logo is the tits.

The character designs remind me of Iron Brigade really. That one had the same semi-realistic look. It's tonally very different of course.

The character designs remind me of Iron Brigade really. That one had the same semi-realistic look. It's tonally very different of course.

I think the art in both Iron Brigade and Headlander is in Lee Petty style, so it may just be the Lee Petty-ness that you're feeling.

Just pointing out that I created the *first* forum thread about Headlander, and totally called a past Amnesia Fortnight project. :D

Missed it a bit by assuming it was a Pendleton Ward project, though.

Seconded! If it's anything indicative of the final game soundtrack I'm gonna want to buy that. Is there a download for at least the trailer theme without the sound effects anywhere? Fantastic!

I know this message is old, but hell... just made me so happy. I'm David Earl, the composer for the game. I am going to see if i can get you the trailer music isolated. It may be a bit difficult legally, but can't hurt to ask.