Sign in to follow this  
chickenmonger

Partnership with Adult Swim Games

ENGAGE WILD SPECULATION.

Happy to announce we're partnering with Adult Swim Games to make a brand new video game, more info soon!

Spoils of the Amnesia Fortnight partnership with Pendleton Ward, or something else? I know Adult Swim Games has published a lot of good games for mobile, but I hadn't realized they're the publisher of record for Jazzpunk, Völgarr the Viking, and a bunch more.

Since it's suppose to be a new IP it could be literally anything. Although since the added explanation was that it's not a sequel to a previous game and so much weight is put into the publishers name the first thing that comes to mind is that it'll be based on a TV-series from Adult Swim. If that's the case then I would be blown away if it turned out to be an adventure game based on Rick and Morty (even if it has technically already been done).

I heavily suspect this will be completely new IP. Adult Swim games are known to publish exactly the sort of niche small games that DF put out, so it seems like a good fit.

I'm guessing it'll be a completely new IP (i.e. not a previous Double Fine IP *nor* a previous Adult Swim IP).

I'm playing Jazz Punk right now, which is all the proof I need that Adult Swim Games will most likely be an excellent partnership for DF's style.

My guess is LPBB. I only guess that because of Cartoon Network's relationship with Pendleton Ward. It's not a guess that I would put money on. Just a guess.

DF retweeted this image, which would seem to hint that the new game is in here, and will be announced at PAX.

pax.PNG

According to a recent post on the Double Fine facebook page they'll be showing the Adult Swim game for the first time at the fan meetup at Pax.

That helmet reminds me a lot of Headlander and when I was just trying to find the pitch video for the AF prototype I didn't get any results. I hope I'm onto something here, because I really liked the Headlander concept.....

A few hints on Lee's twitter account too that he might be involved in the PAX announcements coming up. Not that I'm spying. ;)

Not that I'm spying. ;)

This is just adventure game puzzling, right? I assume that this is probably the game they're building in Unreal Engine 4, as the job descriptions specifically mention 'architectural geometry' (so no forests and (black) lakes?). I guess UE4 lends itself well to spaceship type environments and since the game will be published by a third party, licensing an engine may not be as problematic compared to when they would be funding it themselves.

Not that I'm spying. ;)

This is just adventure game puzzling, right? I assume that this is probably the game they're building in Unreal Engine 4, as the job descriptions specifically mention 'architectural geometry' (so no forests and (black) lakes?). I guess UE4 lends itself well to spaceship type environments and since the game will be published by a third party, licensing an engine may not be as problematic compared to when they would be funding it themselves.

It's a fair question why they're not doing it in their proprietory engine, but maybe they've just decided it's time to move on, and without another AAA game to develop an engine for, they're going 3rd party.

I suspect this is the game too, because on Twitter Lee retweeted those and talked about 'working with me'.

From this we can suppose that there's still a while to go on this one, because those job ads haven't been up for long.

I can't imagine they've got a very long dev time funded though, I imagine it will be a larger team than some of their recent titles, but over a shorter dev cycle, so I'd predict a late 2015 or early 2016 release. Probably late 2015, if they're showing the game next week.

I'm glad I saw a peak before the redaction. :D I like this head-on approach with Adult Swim Games.

Smiles

Yay! I voted for it during AF, glad to see come to fruition. I know the publisher has the say as to which platforms, but hoping for Linux or Wii U!

So, they're making a game from AF that the fans didn't vote for? The game looks good and I like the idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about DF asking us to vote for what games we want to play, charging us money to make that vote, then ending up making one of the games we didn't vote for.

So, they're making a game from AF that the fans didn't vote for? The game looks good and I like the idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about DF asking us to vote for what games we want to play, charging us money to make that vote, then ending up making one of the games we didn't vote for.

We didn't pay the Amnesia money to get full games (or even guarantees that any of them would become full games) - just that our votes would help determine which pitches would become short playable prototypes, and that's what we got. Having a good prototype then helps them pitch the game to publishers, but that in itself isn't a guarantee that they'll bite and that we'll get a full game out of it (and they never promised that either). I can't see anything wrong with DF not completely throwing away the other ideas the teams had if they think they can get a publisher interested - and Headlander looks to be a great game. Putting the titles that didn't get enough user votes on some blacklist never to be revisited again seems silly to me. I honestly can't see even the slightest hint of any ethical wrongdoing here.

I know this is the internet and people love controversy more than anything else (especially involving DF for some reason), but this is really stretching it.

Trailer looks amazing guys, can't wait for this. Looks like another classic in the making. I want to put my head on a robot dog.

Love the logo too.

Oh, come on. We voted on concepts to be made into prototypes, for our money, but really any acting on those prototypes, such as pitching them to publishers, or developing them on their own dime, is entirely Double Fine's choice. But Adult Swim Games brings their own money, so if they want another concept for their money, and if it's still up for grabs from Double Fine's perspective (such as the brain behind it still being on the company payrolls), why shouldn't they? Same would go for any concept that a publisher wanted them to make that has not been made into a public AF prototype, or that came from an earlier, internal AF.

I consider Headlander being part of AF an experiment. A prototype had already been created prior to the AF that it was featured in. I don't think that's true for any other AF pitch (maybe Brazen if that counts). People always reacted positively to the prototype so we always felt like it had a good chance of being made.

We do our best to get as many AF games made as possible. We've pitched all the games from the public AFs and the vast majority from the earlier ones.

Seems like this game could actually have a bit in common with Stacking (one of my top 3 DF games so that's awesome). Taking over other bodies to use their abilities to solve puzzles (or, it seems, give you different abilities in action sequences). There's a lot of potential there. I've been hoping for a sequel to Stacking in ages, and it seems I'm about to get one, although in a different (yet still very awesome) setting. Very curious to see how it will turn out.

Can't wait!

I still kind of hope that Brazen gets its day in the sun one day. PS: The game looks great!

Seems like this game could actually have a bit in common with Stacking

Hmmm.... both Lee Petty concepts as I recall...

Well, now we know that body snatching is Lee's #1 fetish.

That looks pretty sweet.

I'm not that familiar with Logans Run, that seem to be quoted alongside this game, but I still very much enjoy the music and the artstyle featured in the trailer. Definitely a game that looks like something I want to play as soon as it's available.

Here's hoping that there are different ways to solve the puzzles and the encounters, with different head/body combos.

The only dissapointment in this would be that I thought the game Lee Petty started working on in the end of the Double Fine Adventure doc and the Adult Swim game was two different games, so that we had two unannounced DF games soon to be revealed.

That looks pretty sweet.

I'm not that familiar with Logans Run, that seem to be quoted alongside this game, but I still very much enjoy the music and the artstyle featured in the trailer. Definitely a game that looks like something I want to play as soon as it's available.

Here's hoping that there are different ways to solve the puzzles and the encounters, with different head/body combos.

The only dissapointment in this would be that I thought the game Lee Petty started working on in the end of the Double Fine Adventure doc and the Adult Swim game was two different games, so that we had two unannounced DF games soon to be revealed.

There's still the partnership with Zoink games...