Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EMarley

Awesome, long interview with Tim Schafer

Thanks for sharing this! I've read random bits of it, but I'm gonna read the whole thing properly later. It's really interesting so far. I love how he described how, when making adventure games, you have to find the right balance between frustration and entertainment. "Can we confuse you in a way that is still delightful to you" and "happy confusion", and using objects differently to how most people would. That's one of the things I love about adventure games, and the kind of thing I often point out every time I'm trying to get someone interested in the genre.

The part about Full Throttle was an interesting read. I was aware of the Full Throttle 2 stuff that went on (glad those didn't go ahead; the original is clearly very personal to Tim and he needs to be the one leading any sequel it may get). However, I wasn't aware the original got "internet hate"! I find that hard to imagine now. I love Full Throttle, and I know of a lot of other people who do too. Admittedly, it was a short game (plus, I don't think I ever really got stuck at any point either - it was fairly easy) but there was a lot I loved about it anyhow.

Loved the "blurb" Chuck Jones came up with for Day of the Tentacle. I hope they put that on the SE.

I totally agree with the reviews he briefly mentioned regarding Grim Fandango Remastered. I had heard of Grim Fandango before the remaster (as in, friends have been recommending that game to me for ten or so years now) but yeah, having played it for my first time only this year, "crazy" and "pleasantly confusing" are definitely how I would describe the puzzles. I think I've played all the LucasArts point and click games of the '80s and '90s now, so I'm generally familiar with the style of puzzles in those games, and Grim Fandango felt nostalgic to me. It felt nostalgic, despite it being the first time I'd ever played it. Yep.

At the end, after he talks about currently working on DOTT, he says he would like to do at least one more. I'm not entirely sure if he means another DOTT game, or another special edition of a LucasArts classic, but either one would be awesome!

Thanks for sharing! Good interview!

PS: JUST TELL US WHAT THE NEW IP IS, TIM.

I'm sorry I yelled, baby. I love you.

(But seriously, tell us.)

"Yeah, we had done Day of the Tentacle with Dave and that was influenced a lot by Chuck Jones cartoons. We even brought Chuck Jones in to look at it. We were hoping he would make a blurb for the box, but the only thing he said was, "It looks good, but why am I here?" which is not a good blurb. We should maybe put that on the remake!"

Yes, put it on the remake. That quote is gold; it should have been on the original.

Edit: Is Tim going to be walking around with a "Mr. Redford" name tag at the next DF party?

Sign in to follow this