Sign in to follow this  
3asytarg3t

1st playthrough

Well, that was a really good time got to say. The combat was immensely entertaining, the meta game of bloodlines a blast even though I'm awful at it I can now see, loved the aesthetics of the game design, and the aging mechanism of the heroes while bothersome because you quickly lose them also worked to make losing them either from old age or in battle more palatable because it's just a part of the game design so you just roll with it.

Good test for me on how much I loved a game is I'm ready to jump immediately back in and do it again even though in the first run I suffered not one, not even two, but more like 3 or 4 total team wipes, along with losing all but about 3 pieces of the island before the 300 years was up, it was touch and go whether I'd even field 5 heroes in the final engagement. Through it all since I was having such a good time I would just press on after a complete wipe and that's impressive game design when that happens (even when I suffered two of those wipes IN A ROW, ugh).

So, thumbs way up on this one for me.

P.S. One game design question: did anyone consider stacking research? I often go into a battle that then so engrosses me I come back out and don't recall what sequence I was planning for it or I pick up the game next day and have completely forgotten what I intended, and on more than one occasion I tried to stack them only to find myself almost removing the current research.

Well, just finished my 2nd play through and I was victorious this time around, having learned from my mistakes the first run.

It was a great ride, really fun playing again, loved every decision I made as they always felt like they had consequences that mattered and trade offs that always made them a challenge.

Can't say more about the ending w/o spoiling it, but man, it was so much fun to have my alchemist pitch a bomb, missed the target and kill my level 10 bad ass hunter (who btw had a level 10 relic) and find out why bloodlines matter so much. ;)

Well, for me, this is 2015 GOTY, it's so rare to come across new game design concepts, so often everything is a rehash, that's it just a complete breath of fresh air that I feel the way I do at the end of a great novel, a bit sad I can't experience a new all over again. That said, it's certainly not going to stop me from diving right back in for another go!

Bravo DF, masterful piece of work.

Through it all since I was having such a good time I would just press on after a complete wipe and that's impressive game design when that happens

This is why I like Massive Chalice more than XCOM. You know that you can't keep your starting heroes, that they are gonna die eventually, so if you make a misstep in combat (or if the random event RNG is a cruel mistress), hope is not completely lost.

I'm excited to start my second playthrough, after having similar results to your first playthrough.

Through it all since I was having such a good time I would just press on after a complete wipe and that's impressive game design when that happens

This is why I like Massive Chalice more than XCOM. You know that you can't keep your starting heroes, that they are gonna die eventually, so if you make a misstep in combat (or if the random event RNG is a cruel mistress), hope is not completely lost.

Yeah, it's sort of funny too, because those who insisted on viewing this game through an xcom lens missed the brilliance of what this game design gave them, which was freedom.

I'm excited to start my second playthrough, after having similar results to your first playthrough.

Yep, can't wait to dive back in for another go, I focused on hunters last time, I'm not sure that's even necessarily a wise decision, I dedicated two houses to them, this time, I'm either going to play it balanced on classes or maybe even focus on alchemists, they are amazing near the end.

I'm a bit scared of trying it on hard this time, but feel I pretty much have too, haha.

No, you don't have to at all. I play on easy all the time, because it's the most fun for me. I understand that having insulting names for easier difficulty levels (like in Wolfenstein) is an extra reward for taking on the difficulty, but I would rather play something else and have fun, than wind up frustrated with a game just to avoid it calling me a sissy.

Fair point indeed. I might be tempted to start one on hard and see how it goes. Plan B is always falling back to normal for another run!

No, you don't have to at all. I play on easy all the time, because it's the most fun for me. I understand that having insulting names for easier difficulty levels (like in Wolfenstein) is an extra reward for taking on the difficulty, but I would rather play something else and have fun, than wind up frustrated with a game just to avoid it calling me a sissy.

It also doesn't take as long on an easier difficulty, which is nice for a game like Massive Chalice that can push 30 hours per playthrough. I just finished Brutal Iron, and while it was great fun it's a bit taxing when every single battle can take an hour or longer.

Well, 87 hours later and I'm still enjoying this, I guess this one just hits a lot of my game design sweet spots. I often find when a game engages me with a series of meaningful decisions throughout a campaign I really enjoy it. In this case just about every decision from what to research, who to put on vanguard, who to put as regent and partner for getting some new kids going, it really just goes on and on. Not necessarily large decisions, just an endless series that cumulative impact the strategic and tactical layer, something most games just don't do.

Anyway, just circled back because I just completed ironman on normal, I was looking for the next difficulty level before hard, and this was perfect. Now every decision was irrevocable, that team wipe I suffered early on because I was focused on getting four houses going and sacrificed early weapon and armor development, yeah, I paid for it and there was no turning back on ironman. But in the end, the long game view paid off as I finished with four bloodlines and five relics in the final battle.

For me, and this has yet to stand the test of time I know, so I'll have to re-visit this one a couple years from now, but right now, this is in my top 5 all time.