Sign in to follow this  
Permafry_42

Most Disappointing Game You Bought?

I have a friend who bought Aliens: Colonial Marines since they were an aliens fan. I feel really sad for that friends' loss.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1q3X3HxeA

As for me the most disappointing game I bought was Sonic Unleashed for the wii. I played the day levels and loved the game for the few minutes they lasted. Then I played the night levels and felt betrayed for the first time from gaming. Then i realized the night levels are double the length of the day levels, and that they were mandatory to play the day levels. I gave up the game in disgust.

Luckily I later found a mod for sonic generations that let you just play the day levels of sonic unleashed without the terrible night levels. It finally gave me a bit of closure.

Gone Home. No questions asked.

And yes. I also bought Colonial Marines.

Meh Gone Home definitely is a get what you give game. The more time you spend over analysing the back story and learning all the subtext, the more enjoyable the experience. Half the game is piecing together the pieces and realizing how dark the story secretly is.

For lazy people though this does a decent job:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/232430/discussions/2/666825524823216257/?tscn=1413166157

Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric.

I'll be honest. I'm a big Sonic fan. But ever since Lost World reeked of experimentation and the shitty stories found in Colours, Generations, and Lost World, I was excited for Rise of Lyric. The screenshots looked amazing, the story sounded good, it seemed like a new twist on the franchise.

Until the game actually released. Then it turned out to be a glitchy, boring game, with meh story, a whole bunch of development pains (Fun fact: The reason Rise of Lyric is so terrible is because it was meant to be released on PS4 & Xbone. But when the exclusive deal went on with Nintendo, Sega forced Big Red Button to port it to Wii U, causing a whole bunch of problems)

I think mine has to go to Fable 3

Aka, the sequel that's worse than it's predecessor in every single way.

I'm sure there's been tons. I'm disappointed in the games I buy often enough to write for Polygon. But here's two that leap to mind. Not just games that were more meh than I thought, but games I would literally go back in time and advise myself not to buy after all, if I could.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - 80+ levels and maybe 7 or 8 of them were actually what I was expecting. Most of them are just like Super Mario 3D World sameness more than anything (literally, lots of borrowed assets and even entire borrowed levels in the case of the unlockables). The unnecessary backtracking for challenges that were tediously only revealed after finishing the level once went a long way toward turning me off, too.

Splinter Cell: Conviction - Took a franchise famous for a certain type of gameplay, subtracted a substantial amount of that gameplay, and added 500% more shooty face. One of the most infuriating shooty-face-ifications I ever played. Not infuriating in terms of gameplay, but in terms of principle. (I didn't much like the gameplay either, though, which didn't help.)

Both of these surely have less to do with the games themselves and more to do with me and what I wanted from them. Most people are pretty happy with Captain Toad, and I can dig that. A lot of people really like the new shooty face direction Splinter Cell veered into. That actually still kind of makes me angry because YOU'RE KILLING ME IN MY SOUL, but why devote so much negative energy to things that are beyond your control (except in forum posts).

I can't remember if I actually bought it, or it was a 'gift' for being a moderator at the Telltale [del]foru[/del]COMMUNITY, but seeing Dashing mention BTTF:TG made me remember the wasted opportunity that was:

jurassic_park_the_game_logo-560x332.jpg

Aka QTE: The Game.

Because, y'know, we ALL cared about what happened to that stupid can of shaving cream.

FALLOUT 3

Unless this is some kinda, "It wasn't a CRPG like the original Fallout games" thing or "not enough elves" thing, then allow me to post my reaction gif

http://i.imgur.com/is3lPfk.gif

Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines

Sure, my younger, inexperienced self rather enjoyed the game, right up until THE LAST FUCKING FLAG TO COLLECT WASN'T FUCKING THERE.

Bloody hell.

Also, Metal Slug 3 for android. Just didn't work and had half the screen covered in on-screen controls.

Honourable mention: A $7 Ferrarri racing game I bought on my mum's flip-phone many years ago while waiting in a doctor's surgery. It was worse than a pop station. Seriously. Its pathetic attempts at gameplay are not even worth discussing. Excuse me while I throw up.

There have been a few.

Lucidity - OMG a new game by LucasArts...this game is OK I guess...

Carmageddon Reincarnation - unplayable on my computer. And I don't just mean 15FPS, I mean more like 0.01 FPS. I guess that happens when you kickstart things that have no minimum specs yet)

Dawn of War 2 - basically my issues involved GFWL, rewards and game modes requiring internet connection at a time when I was moving house (and the one ISP with high speed internet took over a month to connect us). One multiplayer game mode could be played via LAN with no internet, the one we wanted to play could not. By the time we got internet, I was sick of the thing.

I can't remember if I actually bought it, or it was a 'gift' for being a moderator at the Telltale [del]foru[/del]COMMUNITY, but seeing Dashing mention BTTF:TG made me remember the wasted opportunity that was:

jurassic_park_the_game_logo-560x332.jpg

Aka QTE: The Game.

Because, y'know, we ALL cared about what happened to that stupid can of shaving cream.

I actually liked Jurassic Park on PC (I'm a Dragon's Lair fan, so a game made up almost entirely of quick time events didn't bother me), but I recently tried playing it on PS3. What a mess that port is. QTE games don't exactly work if the button timing for the events is off.

assassin's creed 1-4. they're generally undercooked games that have occasional glimmers of brilliance. i was strong and didn't buy unity, though. feelz good

I was pressured by friends to purchase Minecraft, long after it was out of alpha releases, so it was the full $26.95. My friend even set up an Amazon EC2 server for us to play on.

I dunno. It's just boring and incomprehensible to me. What combines to make what? There's a wiki you have to read? Oh yeah, someone blew up my house while I was gone...no wait, that was a bad guy that my friend was trying to escape from.

Ah, we just need to install server mods to make it fun. Um...how do I do that? The Minecraft documentation should tell us, right?

Um.

Yeah, nearly the most I've paid for a game in 7 years, and I haven't touched it since.

First off, I pre-ordered Colonial Marines for PS3 and also purchased it on PC. While it could've been much more and shits on Hicks more so than Alien 3, the quick effects alterations by the modding community made a less painful experience. I wasn't a huge Gearbox fan going in, so I wasn't all high on hype and that may be why that game probably wouldn't crack my top 5 most disappointing. I'll even probably play it again. It's still one of the best FPS Alien mods.

Telltale Games. We all knew what we were getting with each game by the time the releases rolled around. So not disappointing at all to me. Just how few "puzzles" JP had was disappointing, but I knew the game wasn't very good when I bought it.

So what is my most disappointing game?

Metroid: Other M

The game that was hyped as the return to Super Metroid and all the many comparisons that came with it. As one of the few fans whom did not like the Prime series, I got caught in that hype. The story was garbage, the character that is supposed to be Samus is garbage, both control schemes were garbage and NO, the game was nothing like Super Metroid. Fuck that game.

I was pressured by friends to purchase Minecraft, long after it was out of alpha releases, so it was the full $26.95. My friend even set up an Amazon EC2 server for us to play on.

I dunno. It's just boring and incomprehensible to me. What combines to make what? There's a wiki you have to read? Oh yeah, someone blew up my house while I was gone...no wait, that was a bad guy that my friend was trying to escape from.

Ah, we just need to install server mods to make it fun. Um...how do I do that? The Minecraft documentation should tell us, right?

Um.

Yeah, nearly the most I've paid for a game in 7 years, and I haven't touched it since.

PLAY TERRARIA INSTEAD

*bosses*

*dungeons*

*RPG style stats/equips*

*secrets*

*a simpler A + B = C style crafting system*

*bosses*

*build a village*

*recruit villagers*

*defend your village from goblin/alien/pirate attacks!*

*shoot a laser gun at a giant sand worm while riding on the back of a unicorn*

*BOSSES BOSSES BOSSES*

*METROIDVANIA METROIDVANIA METROIDVANIA*

#TeamTerraria #Represent

Um.

PLAY TERRARIA INSTEAD

*bosses*

*dungeons*

*RPG style stats/equips*

*secrets*

*a simpler A + B = C style crafting system*

*bosses*

*build a village*

*recruit villagers*

*defend your village from goblin/alien/pirate attacks!*

*shoot a laser gun at a giant sand worm while riding on the back of a unicorn*

*BOSSES BOSSES BOSSES*

*METROIDVANIA METROIDVANIA METROIDVANIA*

#TeamTerraria #Represent

Let me add:

It's 10$ and frequently goes down to 2.50$ or less.

I had 180 hours in it before and since the last update invested 60 more.

I'm almost over 300 hours o.O