Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 20: We Did Our Job

Enjoying the episode right now,

Here's one for the shippers out there...

doublefine_zpsfeutq1yl.png

And thus was born Speg fan fiction.

Had to check this on Gamasutra just in case - was both disappointed and relieved.

Haha, I thought it would be pretty obvious that it was a joke praising his answer in that part of the video, but considering some of the things we've seen... yeah, good point. xD

The start of a beautiful romance. :')

I think i'm feeling some post-backer depression.

It's over. So long, and thanks for all the fun.

QRJ38y4Jn6k

And thus was born Speg fan fiction.

Well if someone gets Spregnant with such idea, clearly it's 2PP's fault for Graff-ting that shot into the episode.

Seriously though, this one's such a wonderful episode. Of course I got misty towards the end. It is, after all, the end. I sound like a broken record at this point but this entire project has been nothing but amazing for me, and it's super sweet to see it has been (for the most part) the same for the staff too.

Hope to see more of everyone around, on Twitter, the forum or otherwise <3!

I wish I hadn't watched it... cause now it's over.

The good news? I watch it all over again!

then soon I can watch it without blurs.

Then I can watch with not one... but two commentary tracks.

That's like 4 more viewings...but probably a lot more.

So... there we have it.

It's over but it'll never be over... cause it'll be there always... somewhere.

Congratulations and thanks for the adventure.

Still feeling super moved. It's been amazing to be a part of making game happen as a backer and super awesome to be involved in the community activities that have come about in the meantime.

My love to everybody, backers, developers, new players, documentary crew, admin people, everyone. It has been so wonderful to share in this with all of you <3

"Stay awesome, stay strong, and find joy in the things that you do."

I can't believe it's over!!

I am so used to you guys, just being on screen and talking.. like real people ??? Now it's all done, wish you the best of success, we can still hear from all of you through your games.

PS: What! no parting words from Bagel??? He has fans to appease! Sheeesh.

I still want copies of the Brutal Legend posters by Greg's desk, and all of the plushies, particularly the pocket Curtis.

I literally teared up watching this. Again, thank you guys for the game, the journey, your personas and the inspiration. May God keep you well and make even more awesome stuff.

Tim. thank you for inspiring me since childhood.

Just watched the episode. Amazing work guys, it was an excellent journey. Just wanted to give a quick shout out as an old Lucasfan (I still remember that old Mixnmojo article with the amazing Jake/Spaff photos shown at the beginning of the episode) that I absolutely love the game, and it easily stands among the classic Lucas adventure games that I grew up with. I still see Double Fine as the definitive spiritual continuation of those old adventure series - even for the games that don't play like that genre. The attention to detail, the love and personality that go into them, the way they trigger the imagination - there's no other company quite like it.

Thanks everyone from Double Fine and 2Player for the amazing journey. You can be proud of what you achieved. Don't worry too much about people being angry on the internet - if Obama announces world peace tomorrow the majority of the comments will be complaining about the suit he decided to wear for his announcement. There's a lot of love and praise out there, and that doesn't happen for every game. That's worth something - a lot more than people having a bad day and releasing that on the internet. It gave me, my girlfriend and my friends a lot to be excited about for 3 years (and for years to come, as we plan on replaying it as much as those Lucas classics) - so thank you for that. We'll be there for anything you happen to release in the future.

Speaking of the future (and playing the role of the pushy fan who always wants more): I spotted Day of the Tentacle behind Ray (it was hard to make out if it was the classic pixely version or the new updated version), and Loom behind Justin (which fits the comments made by the original creator about wanting to make a sequel with Double Fine some months back - or Justin just happened to be watching a playthrough on youtube during work hours. It's noteworthy that he was talking about doing more remakes of Lucas adventures at the same time though). Can't wait to see what all of that will turn into!

Also, RIP Chris Remo.

Huge thanks to Double Fine for showing us how the sausage is made, but gigantic congratulations to 2 Player for telling the story so vividly. Easily one of the most compelling documentary series I've ever seen and a fantastic resource for aspiring game makers of the future.

Such a shame that Chris Remo didn't live to see the end of it though.

Such a shame that Chris Remo didn't live to see the end of it though.

I had to google to make sure he didn't die. xD

Posting just to say how much that staff run down at the end of the credits really hit home how projects can split and end up, soo many faces from the early days who are no longer with DoubleFine and then a few have also left, including Oliver!! I know he's still on as remote and working on DOTT, but wow, he's literally been here with us these past few years slaving away to get Broken Age working across as many platforms as possible, and now he's not at the studio. But that's the way things are in game dev, once the contract is up, anyone can go, recently happened at a studio I'm with, with people being let go and some long standing members, talking around 15 to 20 years here, also leaving.

Thanks to the whole Broken Age team and the documentary team. For the past three years, I've been really inspired by the creativity and ingenuity at Double Fine, and felt empathy for the team in the project's difficult times (and long nights of work). It was pretty brave to open up development of a game in such a public way, and the documentary and game are valuable additions to video game culture.

Although we've never met, I feel as though I know the Broken Age team, and I'm sorry to say goodbye to them! I hope that this experience will ultimately be positive for Double Fine, and its staff.

Best of luck with the next Double Fine adventure, whatever it may be!

Sad it's over, sad that Tim feels the need to be a bit more protective over the next projects, but hugely grateful at the extensive look into DF's world.

Big thanks to everybody that put up with the media circus and having camera's shoved in your face for three years and of course 2PP for doing the camera shoving ;)

The start of a beautiful romance. :')

That's EXACTLY what went through my mind at this shot XP

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Double fine and 2 Player Productions

YOU BOTH DID FANTASTIC WORK!

I'm probably in the minority who is more excited about games that are kept secret until they are finished and released, but either way you decide to go forward I'm totally cool with.

I wish you the best.

Aren't we backers supposed to get it in 1080p? The YouTube clip you linked to is only 720p.

Go to your VHX for both 1080p and a downloadable version.

What is VHX and how do I access it? Never had to before. The direct links were always 1080p before.

What is VHX and how do I access it? Never had to before. The direct links were always 1080p before.

Yeah, ditto to that.

I'm a slacker backer, so no "SUPERHD documentary downloads" or whatever for me... I always just watched normal Vimeo videos, that were much better than the crappy youtube 720p, and without silly advertisements.

Way to mess up the ending, 2PP :|

Watched it last night, and I just can't believe it's over! You guys are like a big, hairy, loving family, and this project pulled us all in, and allowed us to be a part of that family for a while. I think that most of us became much more emotionally invested in this than anyone could have imagined in the beginning. It was a beautiful thing, and all you have done throughout this process is reinforce the concept that I had in my head of who you were as people before it began. Beautiful, flawed, brilliant people fighting to make what they believe in. No piece of film has ever shown how dangerous it is to be a company that takes joy in creation seriously the way this has. You survived, while making something that you believed in, and I would much rather see that then witness you succeed overwhelmingly, making a project that meant little to you creatively (not to say I don't want to see you rolling in dollars. That would be great, too). I'll miss this, but just know that my heart, and wallet always belongs to you. The heart is diseased from years of smoking, and there may only be moths in the wallet, but hey, those are your diseased heart wallet moths. Yours forever.

So, judging by the last few paragraphs, if it hadn't been for Minecraft and Penny Arcade, there would be no DFA and no Kickstarter game developer resurgence. Wow.

Yeah, ditto to that.

I'm a slacker backer, so no "SUPERHD documentary downloads" or whatever for me... I always just watched normal Vimeo videos, that were much better than the crappy youtube 720p, and without silly advertisements.

Way to mess up the ending, 2PP :|

All the Vimeo DFA videos are 720p uploads, we didn't release any 1080p content until the VHX package went live, and it's only on that platform.

Here is a side-by-side of a video on Youtube (left) and a video on Vimeo (right).

OVhuu1u.png

None of the DFA content on Youtube is monetized with ads. We have a 20 sec pre-roll letting people know about the series on VHX.

So, judging by the last few paragraphs, if it hadn't been for Minecraft and Penny Arcade, there would be no DFA and no Kickstarter game developer resurgence. Wow.
Much like Skynet, it was inevitable. Someone else would have done it if it wasn't us.

Just a big blanket thank you to all the comments, we're glad everyone was along for the ride. It's not entirely over yet though! All the final release stuff is shaping up really well. Maybe we'll have some kind of party then, but for now there's still work to do.