Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 20: We Did Our Job

Great episode, and a great ending to it.

I think Camden sums it up perfectly, that the game causes such divided opinions means that there is something special to it.

My short summary of the game is that I think it's the closest thing to a LucasArts adventure game since the LucasArts adventure games. There is just a lot of things about the structure, puzzles, dialogues and characters that is so right.

It's by no means perfect, and it didn't have to be.

Backed it with $100 and it was money well spent. Considering what I spend on other things, it was actually really cheap for what I have gotten out of it.

Sidequests are up on the VHX page for download.

Hey, redeemed my VHX key, and I noticed VHX is missing the most recent Sidequest:

"Just Take it Seriously" Matt Hansen

I also found a previous thread where it was mentioned that VHX wouldn't get the Tim's playthrough of old games sidequests, but there's still some other missing sidequests.

2013-08-30 - Dave Gardner - Look, the Clocks…

2013-11-01 - Peter McConnell - What I Wish I Could Have Done Then…

Thanks.

A lovely final episode. Well done 2PP and DF. And good on you Paul for yet another example of professionalism in the face of unnecessary negativity and rudeness. It wouldn't be a DF thread without it!

I loved the episode, loved the game, and loved the entire 2PP experience documenting the company's experience making the game.

I hope you make more adventure games in the future, and that you continue to open things up to people like me who want to see what it is like behind the scenes. I hope you do more Amnesia Fortnights. I hope you do a sequel to Psychonauts. And I hope you continue to ignite a fun loving gaming community on this forum. It has been a great pleasure spending my time with you these past three years, and I hope it isn't goodbye, just see you real soon.

No! I refuse to think it's over already! It's only been three years!

2PP. Fan-f**king-tastic work. I loved each and every episode.

Double Fine. You're a company. I'm not supposed to have feelings about a company! But you're all just so damn likable. I'll buy anyone of you I meet a beer.

(I live near the arctic circle though so I'm playing it safe on that promise. You should never say never though!)

Loved the game. The tree was my favorite character. He's my spirit... uhm.. animal.

It's been a great time! Thank you all so much!

And even a fantastic Adventure game <3 :D

Darn you for making me update my Flash player. I was hoping I was done with that forever. I was hoping Flash would die die die a horrid death. But no. I am updating so I can watch, darn you DoubleFine.

Just go onto the double fine channel of youtube and html5 will do. Just like magic ;)

No flash needed. ^^

(i used the link in my mail, that send me directly to youtube, so i guess, if you don't wanne search for it, now that i am thinking, i guess you can get there the easiest way aswell ^^ and yes, i have my flash player uninstalled like forever now aswell ^^ yhea, you can keep it that way perfectly ;D)

Great documentary series! I'm very surprised that the final word didn't go to Tim, however :)

I would like to thank you everybody - Double Fine, 2PP, backers... - for this great journey in adventure game making, one of the best experiments in my life.

The following sidequests are missing on VHX:

Dave Gardner "Look, the Clocks..."

Peter McConnell "What I Wish I Could Have Done Then..."

Matt Hansen "Just Take It Seriously"

All of Tim's sidequests:

"My Father Told Me It Would Be Like This"

"I'm Such a F@#$in' Genius"

"It's All Coming Back To Me"

"Put Your Lips on That."

"Maybe We Were Geniuses"

Given that there won't be any sidequests in the Bluray release (according to my calulcations based on the size of the full HD H.264 videos on VHX the sidequests should take 10-16GB which easily fits on one (single layer) Bluray disc, not two, but still an extra cost of course), I hope this will be fixed (or even better, that the sidequests will be made available on the Humble Bundle download page).

Thanks.

I believe it's been said previously that the Tim sidequests where he plays through his Lucasarts games won't be available for downloads because legal reasons.

Kind of wishing I had backed a bit higher for the Blu-ray now. Wonder if they will have copies for the store some time after those to kickstarter backers are delivered. I'd probably be up for one.

The following sidequests are missing on VHX:

Dave Gardner "Look, the Clocks..."

Peter McConnell "What I Wish I Could Have Done Then..."

Matt Hansen "Just Take It Seriously"

All of Tim's sidequests:

"My Father Told Me It Would Be Like This"

"I'm Such a F@#$in' Genius"

"It's All Coming Back To Me"

"Put Your Lips on That."

"Maybe We Were Geniuses"

Given that there won't be any sidequests in the Bluray release (according to my calulcations based on the size of the full HD H.264 videos on VHX the sidequests should take 10-16GB which easily fits on one (single layer) Bluray disc, not two, but still an extra cost of course), I hope this will be fixed (or even better, that the sidequests will be made available on the Humble Bundle download page).

Thanks.

We're going to get to these after our work on the series is done. Content for the series is spread across a number of drives, all of which need to be hooked up to the same computer for the projects to run. Sidequest stuff is mixed in there, so you can't hand it off to someone else unless you take the time to copy it all to another drive and hook the connections back up again. We have plenty keeping us busy with the series right now, so once that stuff is finished up we can spend the time to get the Sidequests in order. They have their own set of issues we need to comb through and fix for final release.

Kind of wishing I had backed a bit higher for the Blu-ray now. Wonder if they will have copies for the store some time after those to kickstarter backers are delivered. I'd probably be up for one.
We're getting some extras made. There is the $100 collector big box which is exclusive to backers, but whatever goes inside the big box we're still trying to figure out. It'll be different from the European release.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am that manufacturing plant got Shay and Vella upside down. Argh!

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am that manufacturing plant got Shay and Vella upside down. Argh!

yeah, those damn sexists ;) maybe a petition would help?

/sarcasm off

- Someone pls update http://doublefine.com/dfa with news of this, I've been checking back there every day and suddenly see this on the forums...

- @2PP Cant find any news on Mighty No 9 Documentary.... where oh where....

- Watched every episode like a GoT fan. Sad to see it end. Hope to see more from you guys in the future, go document CIG or something :)

- You guys and Double Fine are a boon to the crowdfunding and game development industry. A lot of kids, consumers, or just people not involved in any kind of computer development think $1M-$10M is a lot of money when honestly simple math shows its very little money in fact for a development team / company based in the US. Overhead costs always taken for granted.

- Crowdfunding is allowing developers to create freely without big corporate getting in the way. These videos truly showed the blood, sweat and tears that went into making this game and makes me appreciate the art 100x times more than just being a end consumer.

- I want my own team and developers to be like Double Fine even if we are not in game development, culture is what matters and Double Fine has it right!

Hi DF & 2PP,

Great episode, great documentary, great game, great adventure. Got my money's worth a thousandfold. Thank you, thank you.

Fantastic job. The care in the craft and dedication doesn't go unnoticed.

I am really looking forward to any future projects between 2PP and Double Fine. Of all the game documentaries and "behind the scenes" I watched, this was by far the best one. The "Sidequests" were an awesome idea. I'll be forever interested in what Double Fine makes next.

For Tim: when you mentioned during the IGN interview that old adventure games had the power of making non-gamers into gamers, I'm living proof of that. I would probably not be a (pc)gamer nowadays if it wasn't for Full Throttle, Monkey Island and a few others adventure games of old.

Thank you kindly!

Just want to give a big THANK YOU to 2PP and DF for bringing us an amazing game, and an amazing documentary. I loved every minute of the doc though haven't had time yet to play through act 2 of the game itself.

Hopefully there will be some blu-rays left for people who didn't back to that level initially (like me, $30 backer).

Just wanted to pop in to say the retail box copies here in Western Australia are correctly packaged with Vella on the bottom :D! Huzzah!

Just wanted to pop in to say the retail box copies here in Western Australia are correctly packaged with Vella on the bottom :D! Huzzah!

Woo! Were you able to get photos?

No unfortunately. my hands were carrying stuff and we were on our way out. Check the JB Hi-fi shelves to see for yourself :D!

No unfortunately. my hands were carrying stuff and we were on our way out. Check the JB Hi-fi shelves to see for yourself :D!

Nearest JP is 2+ hours' drive from here :(

Just wanted to add my big thank you DF and 2PP for the game and the documentaries!!

It was an amazing 3 years ride!

What a lovely end to a wonderful series! I'm really going to miss it, now that it is over. The fact that we've still got some bluray special features to look forward to makes it a bit more bearable though ;-). I'm glad that we also got to hear about what impact the hate floating around on the Internet has had on the team. It has been tough reading all that as a supporter of the project, but I can't imagine what it must be like to be on the receiving end. It's sad - but definitely understandable - that Tim wants to take a break of open development because of this.

I just hope DF will return to it in some form in the future, as it has brought me a lot. Getting insight into game development like this has been incredibly fun and inspiring: it has learned me to better appreciate games as a craft and - especially with Amnesia Fortnight, the Massive Chalice kickstarter and Devs Play series- provided great insight into what to like about other games and genres. Thank you all for this amazing expeirence! I can't wait to hear what's next for DF and 2PP.

Thank you all at Double Fine - and a big pat on the backs of all my fellow backers for being positive and active drivers for this monumentally beautiful game. Special thanks to 2PP for the masterfully crafted documentary series.

Looking forward to getting the signed art book and special edition box in the mail. :)

Watched the episode just now, and now I'm having a sad.

Definitely a bit of post-documentary depression.

Well done, guys. Moving stuff. :'(

After watching the DF staff credits at the very end of this episode, I'm only hazy on one face I saw standing in one of the meetings looking gainfully employed. She was the staff member at 6:35 in black shirt/white shorts. For a second I thought it might be Ashley Coull, but something tells me it's someone who wound up not getting a credit.

Great final ep, of course. I can't believe I started watching these nearly 3 years ago. I said it before elsewhere and I'll say it here as well, but those early episodes really were a bit of magic.

Thanks to all involved and good luck with everything!