Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 20: We Did Our Job

Greetings from 2 Player Productions! The time has finally come for the journey to end. We present the last episode of the Double Fine Adventure, episode 20 “We Did Our Job”.

junQ2cvB4Tw

Vimeo version if Youtube isn't your thing-

[/i][vimeo]133785641[/vimeo]

Along with wrapping up episode 20, the last few months have found us busy with a variety of projects, namely the MASSIVE KNOWLEDGE series and participation with the Koji Igarashi “Bloodstained” Kickstarter.

MASSIVE KNOWLEDGE is a series developed to support the release of MASSIVE CHALICE, and it’s also a bit of an experiment with presenting more technical content. If you’re at all curious about some of the different professional roles in the industry, this could be a great introduction to helping you better understand their functions.

99l-w9Elw0E

Back in August of 2013 we had the opportunity to help out with the campaign for Keiji Inafune’s “Mighty No. 9”. The success of that pairing led to another opportunity, this time with Koji Igarashi on “Bloodstained,” a successor to the style of Castlevania game he helped popularize. This campaign ended up being phenomenally successful; the new world record holder for highest funded game on Kickstarter. We also got an amazing episode of Devs Play out of the arrangement featuring Igarashi himself and Double Fine’s own Anna Kipnis playing “Castlevania: Symphony of the Night”!

bqheYYeA4k4

Now that shooting on the Double Fine Adventure is wrapped we’re transitioning into full blown production on the Blu-ray. This is a fairly lengthy and complex process but the road is clear for us to power forward.

The major steps are as follows-

Whiteboxing menus, creating navigation - Setting up different layouts in photoshop with placeholder art, trying to get a feel for the best way to present content on the disc.

45uXXudm.jpgZF9XUZEm.jpg

Creating/Formatting subtitles - We currently have transcripts for 16 of the 20 episodes in the series. We’re currently proofing the ones that are already in hand and prepping the last four to be processed. These trickle out to Youtube as they are finished, but we’ll make an announcement once the series is complete.

0vFSmVjm.png

Selecting Special Features - Paul Owens is going back through all the footage from the series and pulling out deleted scenes and “bloopers” to include on the discs. Through testing we’ve determined that we have about 6 hours of space per disc; 4 hours for the series and 2 for special features. We’ll do our best to make sure each one is packed. At 3 discs that makes for a 12 hour series with an additional estimated 6 hours of special features.

43JKzmv.gif

New Color On Episodes & Blur Removal - Asif is going back over the entire series to update the color grading and noise reduction. We’ve learned a few things since the start of the series and have access to more software tools, so even though we changed production gear halfway through, we hope to get a nice sense of consistency across all the episodes. All the spoiler blurs are being removed now as well.

pmskIcBl.png

Uncorrected footage

1NmTmB4l.png

As presented in original episode

JIg3bvSl.png

new version

Commentary recording - We’re settled on recording two tracks for each episode, one track featuring a selection of Double Fine staff and one just for 2 Player. We managed to get a few of these done earlier before Oliver left for Germany, and we’re going to be rolling in to recording on the rest very soon.

Lc00EgQm.jpg

The Double Fine Adventure launched on February 8th of 2012, placing the production schedule at well over three years now. The point at which it really started can be traced back a bit further though, back to a series of fortunate circumstances that found us in the right place at the right time.

I was just looking back through my email to find my first correspondence with Tim, and I had to keep hitting the back button until I was in the high 900’s; June 16th of 2011 to be exact. We were introduced in email via Robert Khoo of Penny Arcade, who we had developed our first major series for, “Penny Arcade: The Series.” Robert had remained our friend, and one of the few people in the industry we knew that was connected to nearly everyone.

At the time we were shooting our second feature length doc, “Minecraft: The Story of Mojang.” Markus “Notch” Persson had just swept the GDC awards with numerous wins for Minecraft. It happened to be a year that Tim was hosting. We knew Tim was a charismatic voice in the industry who had embraced a philosophy of experimentation and adaptation to market challenges. While he had no direct connection to Minecraft, we thought he would have some interesting things to say about its success.

This trip would be our first time at the Double Fine offices, a place we would later get to know so well. After our interview with Tim in the Cold Room, we went out to lunch. The primary topic of conversation was our experience with Kickstarter as a funding platform for our Minecraft film. Our experience with Tim at Double Fine stuck with us, and as the Minecraft project drew to a close we started thinking about what we really wanted to do next.

From November 8th, 2011-

Hey Tim and Greg,

I wanted to drop you guys a line about an idea we're working on. Over the years we have wanted to produce a more in-depth development documentary, but it's been difficult to get it off the ground. We feel we're at a point where we could successfully use Kickstarter to independently fund a project like this.

Our visit to the studio gave us the impression Double Fine has the kind of charisma and environment we're looking for. If you guys plan to continue working on smaller games the development cycle could be short enough that funding through Kickstarter could be within reason. Ideally we would want to cover something from beginning to end.

Depending on what you guys think of an idea like this it could be approached a few different ways. I'm just curious to hear if it's something you would be interested in pursuing with us.

Thanks again,

-Paul

could you please set the embeds to html5 as well as flash? guess other people besides me also uninstalled flash player after recent events...

I got past it by getting the video links by looking at the page source btw~ thankfully YT isn't as strict about embedded only vids as vimeo was tho

And btw the dev plays episode of igarashi isn't available in germany due to SotN awesome & licensed soundtrack... would be cool if you could do something about that?

sorry about the inconvenience, was looking forward to this episode for quite a while tho :3 so another great chapter ends~

could you please set the embeds to html5 as well as flash? guess other people besides me also uninstalled flash player after recent events...

I got past it by getting the video links by looking at the page source btw~ thankfully YT isn't as strict about embedded only vids as vimeo was tho

And btw the dev plays episode of igarashi isn't available in germany due to SotN awesome & licensed soundtrack... would be cool if you could do something about that?

sorry about the inconvenience, was looking forward to this episode for quite a while tho :3 so another great chapter ends~

We'll look into the embed issues. I'm pretty sure there was a system in place for handling that with Vimeo posts, but since this one is simply unlisted on Youtube we figured it wouldn't cause any compatibility issues.

As for the SOTN Devs Play, I was working on getting it up on Vimeo but it fell by the wayside due to how large and unwieldy the project file was. There were things I wanted to fix and general improvements to be made so I didn't want to simply repost the Youtube version. I apologize for that and will try to get back to it soon.

Sad the series is coming to an end, but what a phenomenal document of the process! 2 Player did a terrific job.

Just watched the final episode. I loved it, so well done. Tears running down my face. I'm going to miss these so much.

So Youtube will keep the original episodes, while only the DVD/Blu-ray/Paid Download will be of the new color-corrected and unblurred versions?

So Youtube will keep the original episodes, while only the DVD/Blu-ray/Paid Download will be of the new color-corrected and unblurred versions?
That is correct!

This looks awesome! Will the blu-rays include the SideQuests?
No Sidequests on the blu-rays unfortunately. They would require about 2 additional discs which would push our manufacturing budget way way over.

No Sidequests on the blu-rays unfortunately. They would require about 2 additional discs which would push our manufacturing budget way way over.

Are the sidequests available for download anywhere? I don't see them on my humble bundle purchase page...

Edit: maybe include the Sidequests as their download-quality files on one of the Blu-ray discs in a special folder, sort of like an Easter egg?

Are the sidequests available for download anywhere? I don't see them on my humble bundle purchase page...

Edit: maybe include the Sidequests as their download-quality files on one of the Blu-ray discs in a special folder, sort of like an Easter egg?

Sidequests are up on the VHX page for download.

I don't want the journey to end. :(

Excellent work by 2PP - your documentary series was a huge, huge part of this experience in giving the backers an inside look at the development process for Broken Age. :)

Will be watching this final episode shortly.

Thank you 2PP for these fantastic documentary series, it's being an amazing journey. :) Looking forward for the extras and the remastered version!

And thank you Double Fine team, thank you, thank you! Thank you for making a great adventure game, thank you for taking me back to those days where I was 10 years old and together with my sister we spent so many hours trying to solve those bloody puzzles from Monkey Island or Day of Tentacle. Thank you for showing us how you "performed this miracle". It feels so good to play this game and know who was behind it. :)

Cheers,

Jose

P.S.: thank you.

This was a nice little send off episode. I'm really glad that I backed DFA, as the documentary alone was worth the whole trip IMO. That I liked the game as well is pretty much an added bonus.

Aren't we backers supposed to get it in 1080p? The YouTube clip you linked to is only 720p.

AAAAHHHHHHHH IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

I am making a pot of coffee and then watching this sh** IMMEDIATELY.

High fives to everyone at 2PP. It's been wild. Finishing this documentary (and game) is a lot like finishing a good pie. I'm so happy because I'm so full of pie. But I'm so sad because there is no more pie.

This last slice I will savor.

Aren't we backers supposed to get it in 1080p? The YouTube clip you linked to is only 720p.

Go to your VHX for both 1080p and a downloadable version.

AAAAHHHHHHHH IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

I am making a pot of coffee and then watching this sh** IMMEDIATELY.

High fives to everyone at 2PP. It's been wild. Finishing this documentary (and game) is a lot like finishing a good pie. I'm so happy because I'm so full of pie. But I'm so sad because there is no more pie.

This last slice I will savor.

tumblr_n1odywXxvb1ro1iv0o1_500.gif

Nice finale. I just want to say I've had a good time with both the game and the documentary. Thank you for making wonderful things!

Oh gawwww you guys. 2PP, you're brilliant film makers. You knock it out of the park.

Double Fine, I have so much to say and such inability to express myself through text. Adventure Games are perhaps something different to me than to other people. I first started playing them when they were only a product of the indie market, in an age where getting stuck on a puzzle means alt tabbing and looking up the solution. I don't play them as puzzle games, despite the fact I have adored puzzle games like Portal and Fez. Adventure games are my glass of red wine, my little headspace for an evening. They are a place I can go and let it all go, enjoy the world built around me and experience the story in a situation of low stress and low demand. They are my escape into a interactive narrative. For me, mentally, they can be of the utmost importance and help.

I adored Act I. It was a perfectly formed couple of evening relaxation, a beautiful place to go and laugh gently (and what a joy it is to find humour that doesn't target people!)

I felt more mixed about Act II. Some of those puzzles were mind boggling and the frustration that some people so clearly enjoy in resolving left me feeling otherwise irritable, even though if I had approached it like I did say Fez with an expectation for thinking laterally and a notepad at my side I could have extracted much more from it. But! But.

Everytime my irritableness got too much, or I found myself grumpy Broken Age would do something lovely again to rid myself of such feelings. Be it the animation, the wonderful art, the writing something would reset my mind and allow me to relax into the environment the game created.

I think the thing with Double Fine is that you just ooze interesting. I backed Double Fine Adventure entirely on my relationship to Psychonauts, Costume Quest and Stacking with no nostalgia for adventure games of yore. Every game of yours I have ever played has been so wonderfully creative. I don't think you will ever get that multi million dollar super success you so clearly deserve because you will never play it safe and deliver a highly polished iteration of a well established genre. Because you are so good at being interesting, at being creative, at doing something wonderful and odd and new.

I went into Brutal Legend cautious, neither a fan of metal or third person action games particularly. I came out with an entire new genre of music I enjoy and a wonderfully unique game which I would dearly love to see more of. Similarly I expected (even worried) about Broken Age being a throwback to the "Glory Days" of adventure gaming and instead I received something that could stand so clearly on it's own two legs and be it's very own thing.

I will always love Double Fine and Broken Age not because you send out the perfect game but because you send out a letter of love, where creativity oozes out of every crack even if that means you're taking risks on making something that can be rough around the edges. Whereas so many of your peers in the industry put out refined but sometimes boring titles, despite all their creative ability, how you so regularly send me a bundle of new and interesting I will never know.

A further note on the documentary: I really hope you're next project is as open as Broken Age has been. I understand why that may not happen and you can only (must only!) take the path that is best for the wellbeing of all of you but it has been such a privilege to watch this game grow from the sidelines. Even as someone who regularly reads Gamasutra, listens to podcasts by industry members etc I learnt so much from this. It was such a human documentary and it reminded me that I should stop daydreaming and actually make a game for myself because the act of creation is such a natural and worthy thing and that all of you are only human so it must be achievable for me too to make something of some worth to myself.

So, thank you.

Yours Sincerely,

A Fan

Thanks for everything over the last three years, Double Fine and 2 Player Productions. It's been a crazy ride.

I'll admit to getting a little...ahem...emotional over this episode. But of course, we've still got the Blu-Ray to come! Looking forward to spending more time with the team in the extra features.

Thanks for the soft wrap up. After three years of feeling like a part of the company that's a great way to end this adventure.

Call us anytime you need it to rain money.

Thank you Double Fine, thank you 2 Player Productions. I loved your game. I loved your documentary. That was a great ride and I'm thankful for all that you have shared with us. I have learned a lot, and not only about games and game development. You are incredible! You really are!! I'm sorry that all the crappiness ended up straining you so much, but I'll be here if you guys decide to do it again in the future!

Thank you.

Wow! Have you guys read Tim's latest official announcement?!?!

4vWpS2a.jpg

Wow! Have you guys read Tim's latest official announcement?!?!

4vWpS2a.jpg

Had to check this on Gamasutra just in case - was both disappointed and relieved.