Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 20: We Did Our Job

There's a couple of sites out there that are posting the video already. We're just going to flip it live to the general public on the Youtube channel.

All the Vimeo DFA videos are 720p uploads, we didn't release any 1080p content until the VHX package went live, and it's only on that platform.

None of the DFA content on Youtube is monetized with ads. We have a 20 sec pre-roll letting people know about the series on VHX.

Ummm... How is ginormous "BUY NOW" message for like half the screen in all caps not an ad? It's even longer than youtube ones, though of course has much better music :)

Not something I would like to see as the beginning of a final installment of three year long journey every time I want to rewatch it...

About quality - didn't we already do this whole youtube discussion sometime in the beginning?.. Youtube just makes videos soft, especially when viewed fullscreen, but its pretty obvious by blurred out hair and facial features even in a window:

CiVJPgA.png

These are parts of actual 1:1 frames from vimeo and youtube versions of Epsiode 19, nothing has been done to either one except cropping. Can you guess which one's which? :)

-edit- Oops, forum resized it, so it's less obvious now. A really 1:1 version is here - i.imgur.com/CiVJPgA.png

Again, it's a relatively minor niggle, but why do that at all? You had all the worlkflow tested for Vimeo, its just 1 more video, seems like "you paid too long ago - now buy newer stuff" kind of thing.

There's a couple of sites out there that are posting the video already. We're just going to flip it live to the general public on the Youtube channel.

Can you sue those people or something? Seems like theft. >_>

He had set aside those twenty seconds to prepare for his big three way fight against a baboon, and a rhino. The loss of those twenty seconds will most likely cost him his life. The selfishness on you, 2Player.... it's appalling. Just appalling.

All the Vimeo DFA videos are 720p uploads, we didn't release any 1080p content until the VHX package went live, and it's only on that platform.

None of the DFA content on Youtube is monetized with ads. We have a 20 sec pre-roll letting people know about the series on VHX.

Ummm... How is ginormous "BUY NOW" message for like half the screen in all caps not an ad? It's even longer than youtube ones, though of course has much better music :)

Not something I would like to see as the beginning of a final installment of three year long journey every time I want to rewatch it...

About quality - didn't we already do this whole youtube discussion sometime in the beginning?.. Youtube just makes videos soft, especially when viewed fullscreen, but its pretty obvious by blurred out hair and facial features even in a window:

CiVJPgA.png

These are parts of actual 1:1 frames from vimeo and youtube versions of Epsiode 19, nothing has been done to either one except cropping. Can you guess which one's which? :)

-edit- Oops, forum resized it, so it's less obvious now. A really 1:1 version is here - i.imgur.com/CiVJPgA.png

Again, it's a relatively minor niggle, but why do that at all? You had all the worlkflow tested for Vimeo, its just 1 more video, seems like "you paid too long ago - now buy newer stuff" kind of thing.

The amount of time between the episode being public and private was so minor we figured it wasn't worth splitting the audience. Many people on these forums have access to the 1080p VHX versions already as well, which went up at nearly the same time. We're phasing out Vimeo in general.

He had set aside those twenty seconds to prepare for his big three way fight against a baboon, and a rhino. The loss of those twenty seconds will most likely cost him his life. The selfishness on you, 2Player.... it's appalling. Just appalling.
I don't know how i'll sleep tonight.

Spooning all those stolen twenty seconds, I imagine. I hear that stolen time warms a bed better than Pa Ingall's patented "hot brick" method. Which is, as you know, some pretty advanced technology, so good on you for one upping it. You scoundrel.

What is VHX and how do I access it? Never had to before. The direct links were always 1080p before.

Yeah, ditto to that.

I'm a slacker backer, so no "SUPERHD documentary downloads" or whatever for me... I always just watched normal Vimeo videos, that were much better than the crappy youtube 720p, and without silly advertisements.

Way to mess up the ending, 2PP :|

Here is a side-by-side of a video on Youtube (left) and a video on Vimeo (right).

OVhuu1u.png

I'm a backer and don't seem to have access to this VHX thing. How do I get access? Site doesn't seem to let me create a login. Keeps giving me errors.

I just finished the episode now. Beautiful work, 2PP. You did a wonderful job. Thank you for suggesting this idea to Double Fine and for going through with it, and thank you Double Fine for taking them up on it and working with 2PP. This documentary was a huge reason why I backed and it absolutely didn't disappoint, even the game itself did at times. The look behind the scenes was worth every penny I pledged. I always had a new video to look forward to to see what was going on in the lives of the DF and 2PP people surrounding Broken Age. Just wonderful. Brilliant. Amazing. Thank you. I'm sad it's over.

Cannot wait for my Blu-Ray, though! I promised myself since this started that I'd wait until the entire documentary was released and in my hands until I rewatched it from the beginning and I know it'll be an even greater treat all over again.

Thanks. Also, thanks.

EDIT: LOL just reread over my post after hitting submit...saying "2PP People" out loud is amusing...and slightly difficult.

The amount of time between the episode being public and private was so minor we figured it wasn't worth splitting the audience. Many people on these forums have access to the 1080p VHX versions already as well, which went up at nearly the same time. We're phasing out Vimeo in general.

Right, and that's also exactly why the link was leaked, if you just used Vimeo like you always do it wouldn't have happened.

Too bad about phasing out Vimeo..

Does it mean that final episode will never be available for slacker backers in proper quality at all?

---

OANST, I think you missed an opportunity to do snarky response to the "worse quality" bit. Here, let me do it for you:

"Ha! this peasant expected to have consistent quality of content and professional attitude from content creators! FOR 15 BUCKS no less!

Gather round people, let's all laugh and have fun at his expense!"

Did I do it right?

I'm a backer and don't seem to have access to this VHX thing. How do I get access? Site doesn't seem to let me create a login. Keeps giving me errors.

VHX codes for eligible backers are found on the same humble bundle page as the Broken Age codes. When you log into your humble account and go to "purchases", click on Broken Age. You should have a listing of doc episodes for download via humble as well as a link to reveal a VHX code.

Codes for the documentary downloads went out to original Backers at the $30 tier and above. Codes weren’t sent out to Slacker or $15 tier backers.

I have never understood some people's fetishist obsession with video quality. Like super high def video is cool when it happens, but I don't understand why people get like... UPSET about it. It's all about the content.

OANST, I think you missed an opportunity to do snarky response to the "worse quality" bit. Here, let me do it for you:

"Ha! this peasant expected to have consistent quality of content and professional attitude from content creators! FOR 15 BUCKS no less!

Gather round people, let's all laugh and have fun at his expense!"

Did I do it right?

I probably would have mentioned how the quality is better through the downloads, but that this is another huge waste of your time, but you're on the right track. We'll have to collaborate some time! Shoot me a quick pm if you notice that your server at Olive Garden has a scuff on their shoe, and we will work together to create a scathing one liner to forever make them feel bad about his/herself.

I have never understood some people's fetishist obsession with video quality. Like super high def video is cool when it happens, but I don't understand why people get like... UPSET about it. It's all about the content.

There's lots of stuff people don't notice.

Like for example, not many people said that music in Grim Fandango sounded BAD, yet Peter had, as you say, "fetishist obsession" with sound quality and chose to spend a whole lot of budget rerecording it for remaster, even though most of players wouldn't even notice that. And I don't think DF charged extra to hear those rerecordings.

It's this attention to detail that marks great artists, and it's somewhat disappointing to see 2PP react almost mockingly to a desire to view their work at least the way we always could, without having to pay anything extra.

-edit Levering_2pp, THANK YOU. Although I did already watch the gloriously blurry version, but all the more reasons to watch the epsiode one more time! :)

Again, thanks.

I wanted to make one last joke about resisting the urge to bicker, but only Star Trek jokes came to mind, and I promised myself a long time ago, sitting in the dark in my mom's basement, Doritos dust staining my sausage like fingers, that I would never again mention the Borg, or resistance, in an attempt to be clever again. Mentioning my decision to not mention them is putting a toe over the line that I have made in the sand, but it's my line, and it's only made of the Doritos dust and crumbs that I have been collecting from underneath my pecs (man boobs) for years, so it isn't all that hard to move a couple inches in any direction.

God, but I'm bored today.

Darn you for making me update my Flash player. I was hoping I was done with that forever. I was hoping Flash would die die die a horrid death. But no. I am updating so I can watch, darn you DoubleFine.

There's lots of stuff people don't notice.

Like for example, not many people said that music in Grim Fandango sounded BAD, yet Peter had, as you say, "fetishist obsession" with sound quality and chose to spend a whole lot of budget rerecording it for remaster, even though most of players wouldn't even notice that. And I don't think DF charged extra to hear those rerecordings.

It's this attention to detail that marks great artists, and it's somewhat disappointing to see 2PP react almost mockingly to a desire to view their work at least the way we always could, without having to pay anything extra.

This is a disingenuous and fallacious argument that I disagree with completely, but I'll drop it at Paul's request. :P

I'll drop you, at Paul's request. Into a well.

Shhh. I'll come back for you later....

I'll drop you, at Paul's request. Into a well.

Shhh. I'll come back for you later....

Thank you 2pp and Double Fine. What a wonderful journey it's been. It's been deeply inspiring and I think as time goes by all the controversy will slip into dust and you'll be left with this shining wonderful achievement. It's been a real privilege to watch a game being made by such talented and likeable people. Good luck with your next projects (Mnemonic maybe??!). I would certainly be a backer all over again :D

VHX codes for eligible backers are found on the same humble bundle page as the Broken Age codes. When you log into your humble account and go to "purchases", click on Broken Age. You should have a listing of doc episodes for download via humble as well as a link to reveal a VHX code.

Codes for the documentary downloads went out to original Backers at the $30 tier and above. Codes weren’t sent out to Slacker or $15 tier backers.

Oh. ok. Thanks, will check now. I pledged a lot more than $30. :P

All the feels!

BjdOyPMJK3DMs.gif

This has been a fantastic voyage. Great game. Great documentary. Thank you 2PP. Thank you Double Fine. Thank you Tim.

oh man!! what a great last episode!! so strange to look back on all the people involved whove disappeared along the way.

thanks for all the hard work everyone! thanks for doing this.

kinda sad that it was sorta hinted at that there will be at least a break from documented development...I want more! I hope you do it again sometime in the future. its been such a great ride. too bad that a bunch of retards shouting in the street and maladjusted teenagers (and a few "journalists") managed to seriously discourage you guys... I mean that seriously. but great that at least tim takes the correct attitude in those situations which is: if you dont like it f off.

and the game was amazing as well of course!

said it before and Ill say it again: best money Ive ever spent on anything entertainment related.

much love

so the final episode .... its been one hell of a ride phew from code reds to here .

Thanks for everything hope there is a double fine adventure 2 somewhere down the line

NoooooOOOOOOOoooooOOOO. It's over :'(

I've adored every episode of the documentary, and the more personal side quests have been such a great insight into double fine, and the people who make the company what it is.

I get legitimately sad when I hear the electronic bleeps and bloops closing out each episode. I hope 2PP and Double fine will continue to work together in some form. This has been such a fantastic experiment.

So when's the documentary for Psychonauts 2 happening?

Loved the episode. I'm going to miss getting to see new episodes of all you guys.

Sign in to follow this